What about a Starbucks in Finland?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more

Would a Starbucks do well in Finland?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:32 pm

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 43

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:48 pm

sinikala wrote: Finns are loyal to domestic products & brands (Nokia, Hesburger, Kotipizza, Marimekko, Paulig coffee, Fazer, Iittala, Arabia mm.).
Hmmm... but how do you define "domestic brand" these days? Theres a few there that are owned by international companies - many of which always tend to present "domestic brands" in each country.

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

haahatus

Re: Someone's a little testy about their coffee

Post by haahatus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:07 pm

sinikala wrote:
Finns are loyal to domestic products & brands (Nokia, Hesburger, Kotipizza, Marimekko, Paulig coffee, Fazer, Iittala, Arabia mm.). I noted early on that many adverts describe Finland's best, Finland's favourite, things with a Finnish origin. This must be one of the few countries where McDonalds is not the market leader in junk (sorry.... fast) food.
I agree... If I wanted to use SB I would also prefer the local copy if isn't substantially less good. Better the money gets used for services here and not somewhere half way around the world. Btw I prefer things which are available in the finnish language. Anything which such as weird names as I give a pentaly and are less likely to use . Tough but who said I have to be fair as a potential customer :lol: And a "domestic product" is still better than an entirely non domestic one
coffee anyone wrote:Okay everyone, calm down. :shock:
I'm just doing research for a college paper-not a big deal. I'm not quite sure if any of you have been to America or a Starbuck's, but there are many different types of coffee. Plus, Starbuck's adjusts their menu to regional preferences-just like McDonald's. Starbucks is supposed to create an experience, not just coffee. They act as a meeting place for locals, might have musical performances-good in Finland, right? :D It's supposed to be an "experience." If the coffee was duplicated how you like it in Finland... then how do you feel?
I think Sb is known to sell various coffees or drinks with weird names. I think most know this about Starbucks here.

I don't think Starbucks wants or can to compete with pubs. If people want entertainement I think many want just to drink something else than coffee. Also if it's non smoking people could be dragged along into smoking allowed places. (imho The amount of non smoking bars is not comparable to the real support of a non smoking in bars law , because many still people choose to ignore the smoke because of social reasons. This is of course my opinion). If someone lobbies a non smoking in restaurants and pubs law trough I see the non smoking bonus disappear there too.
I think if people want entertainement they will go to a bar/pub . I don't know but maybe more people want to socialize with each other and have it a little more quiet and not have a live performace next to them going on. I find this a very interesting idea but I still thin'k people will rather go to pubs for that kind of entertainement. Also maybe a place like this could collect too many minors or younger folk who dispel older people.

KatGrrl , Canada? :lol:

coffee anyone

Thanks for the feedback

Post by coffee anyone » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:50 pm

Thank you everyone for replying to my comment. I appreciate it. :D If you had no choice and SB is in your neighborhood, what would you like to see? Of course they will have their own variety coffees, but what kinds of coffees would appeal to the Finnish? What kind of marketing do coffee places use now? I apologize for not knowing very much about your country, but do you have the same system of print, radio and tv advertising? Again, thank you everyone for your help-I'm sending you a big american kiss right now, like it or not?! :lol: [/url]

superiorinferior

Re: Thanks for the feedback

Post by superiorinferior » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:19 pm

coffee anyone wrote: I apologize for not knowing very much about your country, but do you have the same system of print, radio and tv advertising?
All advertising is done by the homeless carrying sandwich boards. And one guy who walks around town yelling "Paaaaaavoo Lipponeeeeeeen!!!"

coffee anyone

Post by coffee anyone » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:28 pm

superiorinferior wrote:
coffee anyone wrote: I apologize for not knowing very much about your country, but do you have the same system of print, radio and tv advertising?
All advertising is done by the homeless carrying sandwich boards. And one guy who walks around town yelling "Paaaaaavoo Lipponeeeeeeen!!!"
HA HA.. Very Funny!!! :?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:57 pm

coffee anyone wrote:If you had no choice and SB is in your neighborhood, what would you like to see?
A French riot? :lol:

Hmm... just your normal stuff I guess. Coffee & donut. :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:46 pm

Hank W. wrote:
sinikala wrote: Finns are loyal to domestic products & brands (Nokia, Hesburger, Kotipizza, Marimekko, Paulig coffee, Fazer, Iittala, Arabia mm.).
Hmmm... but how do you define "domestic brand" these days? Theres a few there that are owned by international companies - many of which always tend to present "domestic brands" in each country.
It's true, Valio ice cream is now part of Nestle, Hartwall is part of Scottish & Newcastle etc., I just get the feeling that Finland has resisted that internationalisation a little more (better) than some other countries.

therese

Post by therese » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:43 pm

Why Starbucks would not do well in Finland

1 Finnish coffee has a different roast.
If Starbucks came here and didn't adjust the roast, the only market would be expats and tourists.
If Starbucks was to come here and change the roast for all the Finns, then all the expats and tourists Finland would hate it.
And as my other reasons suggest, expats and tourists are ´the most likely biggest market.

2 Established Brands - Coffee
Finns have an us against the world loyalty to Finnish brands.
And there are some incredibly well established entrenched Finnish coffee brands. Like Paulig.

3 Established Brands - Coffee Chains
There is a limited market for "hang out and read ditzy magazines in a coffee shop"
And there are two popular coffee chains which do exactly that.
Wayne's Coffee and Robert's Coffee.
As well as a number of independant established coffee shops like Cafe Ekberg and Cafe Strindberg (in Helsinki) and Cafe Bisketti (in Oulu).
The market would not really support more players.

4 Price
Finns are price sensitive and are not indulgent.
I think its a Lutheran thing.
Hence success of cheap food chains - hamburger chains (Hesburger) and pizza chains (KotiPizza).
As far as I am aware there are no mid-price / family restaurant chains in Finland.

In contrast, Starbucks is relatively expensive relies on customer's price elasticity for gourmet coffee.

therese

Post by therese » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:44 pm

Why Starbucks would not do well in Finland

1 Finnish coffee has a different roast.
If Starbucks came here and didn't adjust the roast, the only market would be expats and tourists.
If Starbucks was to come here and change the roast for all the Finns, then all the expats and tourists Finland would hate it.
And as my other reasons suggest, expats and tourists are ´the most likely biggest market.

2 Established Brands - Coffee
Finns have an us against the world loyalty to Finnish brands.
And there are some incredibly well established entrenched Finnish coffee brands. Like Paulig.

3 Established Brands - Coffee Chains
There is a limited market for "hang out and read ditzy magazines in a coffee shop"
And there are two popular coffee chains which do exactly that.
Wayne's Coffee and Robert's Coffee.
As well as a number of independant established coffee shops like Cafe Ekberg and Cafe Strindberg (in Helsinki) and Cafe Bisketti (in Oulu).
The market would not really support more players.

4 Price
Finns are price sensitive and are not indulgent.
I think its a Lutheran thing.
Hence success of cheap food chains - hamburger chains (Hesburger) and pizza chains (KotiPizza).
As far as I am aware there are no mid-price / family restaurant chains in Finland.

In contrast, Starbucks is relatively expensive relies on customer's price elasticity for gourmet coffee.

therese

and

Post by therese » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:48 pm

You should also be aware that Finland has a relatively small expat / foreign population
So even if the people on this forum would like a Starbucks - its a very limited market.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:07 pm

But places like Wayne's Roberts etc. also do sell different roasts. They have "regular coffee" as the guys in overalls want that melts the spoon and then they have diluted dishwater the American expat expects ;)

I'd say the place I'd visit Starbucks would be Ireland as the local muck makes Lidl instant seem gourmet. BTW I do like Lidl instant... a slightly diffeent roast but tasty.
Cheers, Hank W.

Mark I.

Post by Mark I. » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:15 pm

"More than half of all Americans over the age of 18 -- 107 million people -- drink coffee daily. On average, U.S. coffee drinkers consume three and a half cups a day apiece. Scandinavia boasts the highest per-capita coffee consumption in the world. In Finland, people drink more than four cups of coffee a day on average. "

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stori ... facts.html

I have never been to Starbucks, so I dunno...

Time to go making Aromimokka coffee now...(5th cup today - I know, I know, too much coffee...) :shock:

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:40 pm

therese wrote:As far as I am aware there are no mid-price / family restaurant chains in Finland.
I agree with the rest of your post, but there are restaurant chains...

Rosso
Martina
Chico's

to name but three.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:49 pm

The definition of "mid-price" I think is the key here. If you are expecting to spend as much (or little) of money as in places where eating out is "normal". "affordable" etc. then you have to check "places where poor people go to eat" price range in Finland.
Cheers, Hank W.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:18 pm

coffee anyone wrote: HA HA.. Very Funny!!! :?
Hey, Mr. Coffee, If you really were laughing, there is a more appropriate smiley than " :? " ... it is a REAL smiley: " :D " That other smiley is used when one is confused or perplexed. I know they can be confusing.

Does your high school teacher know that you're doing your research via a bulletin board on the internet for this project?

If you "don't know so much about this country," may I suggest using a method we had to use while I was in high school: the public library and encyclopedias?

Yes, we here in primitive Finland do utilize fully all of the media you described in your previous post.