What about a Starbucks in Finland?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more

Would a Starbucks do well in Finland?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:32 pm

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 43

coffee anyone

Post by coffee anyone » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:32 pm

Hello Guys!
I am writing an writing an international marketing plan for school in the Us and have selected Starbucks as opening a location in Finland. I was wondering how you think people in Finland would feel about that. Are there any specialty coffee houses in Finland now? Where would be a good place to put a Starbucks in Finland? Let me know what you think. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks! :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

karen

Post by karen » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:37 pm

We already have all of the coffee chains we need. Keep your Starbucks!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:40 pm

"American coffee" has these images to battle in Finland:
- I ordered coffee not tea!
- I could swim over the Columbia River with a coffee bean embedded in my cheeks and I'd serve a browner stain!
- I ordered a coffee, not the dishwater after you washed the cups!

... same thing as with "American Beer" = diluted horsepiss. Finnish coffee is "sauce" compared to the "soup". Its very different.

And "American Coffee" is served cold so some granny won't burn their cooch in it. :lol:

Of course theres regional differences, but you ask the "average Finn".
You'd have better luck with Starbuck's in Ireland, their coffee is utter shyte!

Oh, and the place Starbucks would need to compete with is Wayne's Coffee and Robert's Coffee... Robert's is owned by Paulig. Paulig *is* coffee.

Oh, and when a Finn goes to buy coffee they say "a coffee" and expect to get the regular. Latte-freakin-cappu-moccha... ok, gas station... COFFEE! Saludo Industrial with melting spoons...And selling de-caf is a fraud.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:50 pm

Hank W. wrote:"American coffee" has these images to battle in Finland:
I think the sprouting of the multitude of Robert's Coffee and Wayne's Coffee chains (and all the other places that now serve triplemochalatte in to-go paper cups) in the Helsinki region says that that there was a window of opportunity for a Starbucks here (about 5 years ago), but I think the market has been reached and saturated.

They could always try to start a franchise here, it would give the active anti-globalisation gang something to pelt with rotten eggs.

BTW/FYI: Robert's Coffee and Wayne's Coffee and those in their ilk are total clones of Starbucks...

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:55 pm

superiorinferior wrote: BTW/FYI: Robert's Coffee and Wayne's Coffee and those in their ilk are total clones of Starbucks...
I knows actually :lol:

I want "a coffee" as I go ask "a beer" and they'll give me a look and not want to sell anything. Nasty me in that sense, but if I am running past the station and have 1 minute to spare...* and* selling decaf is a fraud!

I love flavored stuff, and arabian/turkish coffee - do it sometimes myself actually.
Cheers, Hank W.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:57 pm

Hank W. wrote:"American coffee" has these images to battle in Finland:
- I ordered coffee not tea!
- I could swim over the Columbia River with a coffee bean embedded in my cheeks and I'd serve a browner stain!
- I ordered a coffee, not the dishwater after you washed the cups!

... same thing as with "American Beer" = diluted horsepiss. Finnish coffee is "sauce" compared to the "soup". Its very different.

And "American Coffee" is served cold so some granny won't burn their cooch in it. :lol:

Of course theres regional differences, but you ask the "average Finn".
You'd have better luck with Starbuck's in Ireland, their coffee is utter shyte!

Oh, and the place Starbucks would need to compete with is Wayne's Coffee and Robert's Coffee... Robert's is owned by Paulig. Paulig *is* coffee.

Oh, and when a Finn goes to buy coffee they say "a coffee" and expect to get the regular. Latte-freakin-cappu-moccha... ok, gas station... COFFEE! Saludo Industrial with melting spoons...And selling de-caf is a fraud.
It sounds like you've only had American coffee at a Howard Johnson's in 1976...

Times have changed there, you know... Even gas stations there (even in the sticks of Maine) have six or ten different thermoses with different "gourmet" coffee flavors.

While Finns may like their coffee strong and hot and strong... Did I mention strong... That doesn't mean it always tastes good. My mother-in-law used to add a few coffee measures to the filter "for the pot" and then a few more, and then if it wasn't strong enough, she'd add a pinch of instant coffee to top it off.

I suggested that she just start shooting it up instead... But she didn't hear me over the coffee maker. Or maybe her ears were ringing from the blood pressure.
Last edited by superiorinferior on Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:57 pm

superiorinferior wrote: I think the sprouting of the multitude of Robert's Coffee and Wayne's Coffee chains (and all the other places that now serve triplemochalatte in to-go paper cups) in the Helsinki region says that that there was a window of opportunity for a Starbucks here (about 5 years ago), but I think the market has been reached and saturated.
Pessimistic Finn says you are spot on.

Realistic Finn says for the guy originally asking, how many companies/pubs/stores the tax office has declared bankrupt the past week and what can you deduct from that?
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:03 pm

superiorinferior wrote:[
While Finns may like their coffee strong and hot and strong... Did I mention strong... That doesn't mean it always tastes good.
You do not drink vodka for the taste necessarily either...

How many cultures have an "aching of the coffee tooth"? Finns didn't give a flying fornication over coca-cola in the olympics - no more coupons needed for buying coffee! You know Ilta-Sanomat - in 1949 had pictures of "coffee ship arrived from Brazilias"...

Oh, and my mom used to boil her coffee on a kettle/pot and when she got a filter she used to re-boil it... and she was the generation for using silakka fish scales to clear the coffee from the beans crud, so if granny puts a pinch of salt in the coffee...
Cheers, Hank W.

haahatus

Post by haahatus » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:15 pm

Start a starbucks in Southern Helsinki , a Starbucks in a area with as much as tourists as possible.

No I don't care about Starbucks. I don't care for coffee either but If I wanted coffee I would want to have something ordinary not such glittery bimbo juntti thing as Starbucks. I think of 15 year olds drinking there who have been extremely subsidized by the parents. (Well in a way the this post is the same maturity level or lower but like they say in Finnish an image says more than thousand words)

Starbucks is teh great whopeee . Please stay somewhere over the great ocean

Chocolate Brownie Frappuccino ? What's that , huh. Coffee???

Maybe Crappuchino is a good advertizing somewhere but in Finland?

Maybe there are people who would like it . In my opinion it would face a huge image problem. Among other things. Isn't it expensive as well. I see no great success for a Starbucks chain in Finland.

I don't think coffee is a market where coming here would work now. There is already standardized coffee here. The situation is not at all comparable to Mc Donalds entry into Finland. And they make losses here ifirc. I can say many people don't prefer to eat at MCD and it's just not the maailmanparantaja (worldbetterers) Imho it is too late now anyway.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:31 pm

haahatus wrote:
Maybe there are people who would like it . In my opinion it would face a huge image problem. Among other things. Isn't it expensive as well. I see no great success for a Starbucks chain in Finland.

I don't think coffee is a market where coming here would work now. There is already standardized coffee here. The situation is not at all comparable to Mc Donalds entry into Finland. And they make losses here ifirc. I can say many people don't prefer to eat at MCD and it's just not the maailmanparantaja (worldbetterers) Imho it is too late now anyway.
There are 17 (yes, that's seventeen) Starbucks in Paris (yes, the one in France). I thought the French were among the most coffee snobs in the world.

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/locator ... TAIL&City=

If they wanted to, they could put one anywhere. Except Finland?

BTW, what is standardized coffee?

toukokuu

Post by toukokuu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:43 pm

I do not understand what these folks are talking about. Even if we have Wayne's and some other cafeterias, Starbucks it still welcome. The coffee they serve, is great. Look at the Hamburger restaurants - Mc Donalds, Carrols, Burger King, Hesburger. Mostly they are always if not full, at least half full.
Do not feel discouraged about these cynical reactions. Indeed, Finnish people are great coffee drinkers.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:46 pm

toukokuu wrote:I do not understand what these folks are talking about. Even if we have Wayne's and some other cafeterias, Starbucks it still welcome. The coffee they serve, is great. Look at the Hamburger restaurants - Mc Donalds, Carrols, Burger King, Hesburger. Mostly they are always if not full, at least half full.
Do not feel discouraged about these cynical reactions. Indeed, Finnish people are great coffee drinkers.
Where is there a Burger King in Finland?

haahatus

Post by haahatus » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:51 pm

If you mean wheter I agree SB could open one or two Starbucks even in Finland , I agree with you. Of course they could
Start a starbucks in Southern Helsinki , a Starbucks in a area with as much as tourists as possible.
But I also said " I see no great success for a Starbucks chain in Finland. "

And the link you gave shows there are 17 SB in whole of France and 15 of them in Paris? Looks like Starbucks is not a big thing in France.

Wikipedia says
According to the company's fact sheet, as of August 2005, Starbucks had 5,715 company-operated outlets worldwide: 4,666 of them in the 50 United States and Washington, DC and 1,049 in other countries and U.S. territories. In addition, the company has 3,956 joint-venture and licensed outlets, 2,222 of them in the 50 United States and Washington, DC and 1,734 in other countries and U.S. territories.
edit: standardized coffee , I meant a coffee chain. Something where the coffee is always the same. Like a standard
Last edited by haahatus on Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:54 pm

haahatus wrote:
And the link you gave shows there are 17 SB in whole of France and 15 of them in Paris? Looks like Starbucks is not a big thing in France.
For opening their first one in France only a year or so ago?? And they already have 17? That's pretty big in my book.

I don't think there are 17 of anything in Finland... :wink:

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:03 pm

superiorinferior wrote:
haahatus wrote:
For opening their first one in France only a year or so ago?? And they already have 17? That's pretty big in my book.

I don't think there are 17 of anything in Finland... :wink:
The interesting thing would be to see how many are still open in a year from now :twisted:
And I wonder how many of them are mainly used by tourists :?:
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different