What about a Starbucks in Finland?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more

Would a Starbucks do well in Finland?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:32 pm

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 43

Majava

Post by Majava » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:15 pm

This is defenitely a Helsinki thread once again...

Go find a Wayne's or Robert's in Lahti :? We already need to feel blessed having Arnolds...

"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

TopDog

Post by TopDog » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:58 pm

I absolutly love Finnish coffee and my Fiancee sends it to me on a regular basis. I also drink Starbucks AND I also drink coffee's from all over the world. I enjoy the differences however, I have to admit, the stronger the coffee the better. I adore Italian espresso :shock:

Would I want to see a Satrbucks in Finland? It's not Finnish so probably not. I expect to see Starbucks in US airports etc etc but in Finland? It would seem out of place to me.

You know the old saying, "When in Rome...."
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry & has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Ravvy

Post by Ravvy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:59 am

I think Caribou Coffee should open a place in Finland. Though maybe it would need to be called Reindeer Coffee after crossing the Atlantic. :wink: :D

efahey

Post by efahey » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:36 pm

I think starbucks would do just fine in Finland. EVERY SINGLE FIN that I know that has been to the u.s. and has tried Starbucks was madly in love with it and wanted to know why Roberts and Wayne's and the other chains in Finland sucked so badly.

Thats approximately 30~ people, no not a lot, but when every single one mentions something without me saying anything well...you get my point. Am I myself a starbucks drinker? No not often, but I think quite a few things can do good here.
If Starbucks came here and didn't adjust the roast, the only market would be expats and tourists
If you didn't notice his comment above. Starbucks DOES change their roast to suit the country they are opening in. The starbucks in Switzerland had quite a lot of coffee and roast types that were specifically to appeal to the Swiss. And the Swiss were eating it up. 30 minute long line at the only starbucks in Zurich on a tuesday at 2:30.

Also this one was fun:
Unless Starbucks wants to sell Frappacinos, or whatever that frozen coffee drink is, in Finland. Good luck to them if they do try that.
Guess you have noticed that like 20% of fins that walk into a grocery store come out with an Icecream be it 20 or -500000000. I have as well. Perhaps it is a nitch market then.

However, the better chain to open would be like a 24 hr Taco Bell or a 24hr Denny's as McDonalds gets half their business from 3-5am.

Oh and why don't people grow up? Perhaps the kid should not have come asking the question on this board. But if you google something about Finland in English you will be lead here eventually. It's a natural mistake. Poor kid, didn't realize so many people here only come so they can flame people and bash everything everyone says.

Liz

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:48 pm

efahey wrote: Thats approximately 30~ people, no not a lot, but when every single one mentions something without me saying anything well...you get my point. Am I myself a starbucks drinker? No not often, but I think quite a few things can do good here.
Oh and why don't people grow up? Perhaps the kid should not have come asking the question on this board. But if you google something about Finland in English you will be lead here eventually. It's a natural mistake. Poor kid, didn't realize so many people here only come so they can flame people and bash everything everyone says.
I have a hard time believing you about the 30~ people asking you (without someone bringing it up) about Starbucks. "Every single one"??? asking about Starbucks ??? Are you a coffee importer? Do you wear Starbucks merch that might spark the conversations? Do you have a frothy, Cappuccino-Rino moustache? What gives?

I have lived here on and off for 15 years and know loads of people and not a single one ever has asked me why Starbucks hasn't started up in Finland.

But I take you at your word.

And as for the being immature thing, the fact that the OP said she is in college (doing a project on MARKETING IN FINLAND) and freely admits that she doesn't know if Finland uses TV and newspapers for advertising, she deserves a flame or two. I thought I was using restraint.

karen

Post by karen » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:28 pm

efahey wrote: However, the better chain to open would be like a 24 hr Taco Bell

Liz
Now there's an idea! Who can we talk to about that?

Nukkepöksy

Post by Nukkepöksy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:54 pm

Tadpole'sMommy wrote:
efahey wrote: However, the better chain to open would be like a 24 hr Taco Bell

Liz
Now there's an idea! Who can we talk to about that?
Ok, so long as the meat doesn't taste like dogfood. I've eaten taco bell in the states and Canada. Canadian taco bell meat tastes like dogfood. American taco bell meat tastes like dog food the dog ate yesterday. :mrgreen:

*sigh* ok i admit it. dog food or not, i love taco bell. PLEASE COME TO FINLAND TACO BELL! PLEASE!
ImageEevaImage

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:59 pm

Nukkepöksy wrote:Ok, so long as the meat doesn't taste like dogfood. I've eaten taco bell in the states and Canada. Canadian taco bell meat tastes like dogfood. American taco bell meat tastes like dog food the dog ate yesterday. :mrgreen:
So which brands of dogfood have you tried? :wink:

Nukkepöksy

Post by Nukkepöksy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:05 pm

sinikala wrote:
Nukkepöksy wrote:Ok, so long as the meat doesn't taste like dogfood. I've eaten taco bell in the states and Canada. Canadian taco bell meat tastes like dogfood. American taco bell meat tastes like dog food the dog ate yesterday. :mrgreen:
So which brands of dogfood have you tried? :wink:
well, when i peaked behind the counter at taco bell, i think i saw Alpo. Alright alright it wasn't THAT bad. maybe it was Purina.
ImageEevaImage

Mark I.

Post by Mark I. » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:20 pm

You mean Alpo Suhonen, former chicago blackhawks couch? :wink:

Nukkepöksy

Post by Nukkepöksy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:28 pm

MHH wrote:You mean Alpo Suhonen, former chicago blackhawks couch? :wink:
yeah, he works a taco bell in canada now.
ImageEevaImage

karen

Post by karen » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:29 pm

Taco Bell isn't my favorite fast food Mexican place but I would gladly eat it if it were available. When I'm in Texas, I eat at better places. If TB would come to Finland, I would eat there often. That is an understatement.

soyyo

Post by soyyo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:07 pm

I love Taco Bell! I'd eat there all the time if it came to Finland. Just before I moved I was in a Taco Bell rut, eating there almost every day.

My husband liked it too and was hoping they had them in Finland when he went back.
Don't worry, it only feels kinky the first time....

efahey

Post by efahey » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:33 am

I have a hard time believing you about the 30~ people asking you (without someone bringing it up) about Starbucks. "Every single one"??? asking about Starbucks ??? Are you a coffee importer? Do you wear Starbucks merch that might spark the conversations? Do you have a frothy, Cappuccino-Rino moustache? What gives?
All 30 of them know that I worked in restaurants for 10 years and helped open two. I think they brought it up to me in hopes that I would be willing to open another :)

Liz

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:59 am

And would you guys that crave for Taco Bell, spend more time in the restaurant(s) or complaining of the lack of taste after it had gone native? :P
efahey wrote:
All 30 of them know that I worked in restaurants for 10 years and helped open two. I think they brought it up to me in hopes that I would be willing to open another :)
I was hoping you'd say it had been your unusual choice of apron sparking the conversation....
Image :D