How to pass customs

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
kmboll

How to pass customs

Post by kmboll » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:05 am

OK, I've looked and found similar threads, but nothing exact so if anyone has been through this I'd appreciate your input.

I'm shipping 2 motorcycles to Finland from the US using a freight forwarding company (1/3 the price of a vehicle shipping company). I can bring one in tax free and I have to pay tax on the other. When/how does that work? Do customs call me when it comes in and then I go down to the port and explain that I'm moving, etc? I can't imagine I need to inform them that I'm shipping them and set things up in advance.

On a related note, say I wanted to take a motorcycle/car trip in Finland and had the vehicle shipped for the trip and then was going to ship it back after. I shouldn't have to pay tax, but how do they prevent people from just doing that and never leaving? Not that I'm thinking of doing that! :D

How to pass customs

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:22 am

Well, theres three issues here.

First I need to rub my crystal orb that you are bringing these from over the dark seas outside EU... it is very extremely... complicated.

Easiest first:

If you are not a resident and do not import the bike in Finland you can drive on the tourist exemption for 6 months or so. You live in Finland. So you are a resident "for tax purposes" and of course they'll shaft you.

Once the container comes to the harbor you need to go there to explain yourself. With all the proper paperwork.

Knowing that bikes are the invention of the devil and all bike-owners from USA are hells angels, I'd be very surprised you won't be subjected to a full anal probe... but as IIRC you have some rice-rockets thats then not my turf... and the bike must have all the papers imaginable, or you need to get say for a HONDA a paper from a HONDA dealer in Finland that the bike is EU-CoC. No EU-CoC 6the bike goes to Russia cheap next week here in the for sale section...

Have fun ;)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

mack8384

Post by mack8384 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:56 am

Anyone know where I can Rent a Harley Davidson motorbike in Finland, I am planning an extended visit soon and want to tour the area on a HD. Or if not available how would I go about shipping my own motorbike to Helsinki for say a month.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:43 am

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.