Finnish Working Residence Permit Type A

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
mikeking

Post by mikeking » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:27 pm

Hi,

I am an non-EU IT professional working in a Finnish company, and since I have a permanent contract, so I was granted a A typed residence permit for 3 years (after I have renewed it once). What I'd like to know is, if someday I get out-of-job, will they revoke the residence permit or I can still stay until the expiring date? Is there anyone knows the answer? Though I am still having the job, but I'd like to know the answer. Thanks! :)

mikeking

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mikeking

Post by mikeking » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:11 am

Nobody knows the answer???

fileexit

Post by fileexit » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:56 am

I vaguely remember discussing this issue when i was applying for the residence permit... the conclusion was, if you lose your job, just look for another one as long as it is in the same field (written on the permit). My permit says IT <and some finnish bla bla bla>. If you are not able to find any job during the 3 years, you will not be able to renew your residence... When you apply for renewal, you should show proof of current employment in the same field, if you don't have it, they won't renew. But they will not revoke your permit if you lose your job during the 3 years.. at least that is my understanding..
Anyway, it never hurts to pick up the phone and call the police. They won't arrest you :P

sy

Post by sy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:13 pm

According to the Aliens Act, Section 58, Paragraph 4:
A fixed-term residence permit may be cancelled if the grounds on which the permit was issued no longer exist. Another requirement for cancelling the permit is that the alien has resided legally in Finland for only a short time.
So, I think if you loose your job within 6 months, probably they can cancel your residence permit. Since you've got already the second permit now, you're allowed to stay in Finland by that permit. However, you might not be able to get a new permit if you don't have other grounds for staying in Finland.

But the reality is that probably they don't have a system to monitor whether you have a job or not constantly. They just check again your employment situation when you renew your permit.

I'm not sure about the rules whether you're eligible for the KELA benefits, though.

lalc

Post by lalc » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:28 pm

I'm not sure about the rules whether you're eligible for the KELA benefits, though.
He is eligible to get a Kela card and as long as he/she is eligible to stay in Finland, I believe he is eligible for kela benefit as well.

Also, if you have got the A type permit before April 2004, I hope you are aware that you are eligible for a permanent one.

-lalc
I prefer not doing it, if I can't be passionate about it.

soulshine

Post by soulshine » Wed May 03, 2006 12:29 am

sy wrote:According to the Aliens Act, Section 58, Paragraph 4:
A fixed-term residence permit may be cancelled if the grounds on which the permit was issued no longer exist. Another requirement for cancelling the permit is that the alien has resided legally in Finland for only a short time.
So, I think if you loose your job within 6 months, probably they can cancel your residence permit. Since you've got already the second permit now, you're allowed to stay in Finland by that permit. However, you might not be able to get a new permit if you don't have other grounds for staying in Finland.

But the reality is that probably they don't have a system to monitor whether you have a job or not constantly. They just check again your employment situation when you renew your permit.

They might not have a system to constantly monitor whether one has a job or not, but wouldn't applying for KELA unemployment benefits trigger some red flags? Just a thought based on personal imagination mixed up with mind-derrived logic....

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Wed May 03, 2006 8:15 am

After getting married, I went to police station to renew my work permit. The lady there suggested that I should think about getting A category visa based on marriage because with work permit I am eligible to stay in country as long as I am working. I was like...whaaa :shock: (I shouldn't have worked hard on my Masters :D)
Image Image