Breastfeeding in public

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Krisztina

Post by Krisztina » Tue May 30, 2006 3:45 pm

about Lasten Piste: http://www.lastenpiste.com/fi/index.html

I have been breastfeeding there several times, but same time when my older one was "paying customer", and this way it was for free. Otherwise it´s 1€ there.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

raumagal

Post by raumagal » Tue May 30, 2006 7:32 pm

I think Finns are quite easygoing about breastfeeding and I haven't had any problems. It's easy to find places that have nice facilities if you want privacy and most are very family friendly.

In the US, for example, it's much more taboo. However, some restaurants have recently implemented "breastfeeding friendly" policies where they "allow" moms to breastfeed.

jamesfc

Post by jamesfc » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:13 am

I'm replying as a man - you should be aware that sometimes staring by a man can be either curiosity or admiration tinged with a (manly) broodiness! Yes men can get broody as well! My ex-wife Finnish had no problem breast feeding in public in England where there will soon be a law so that nobody can stop a woman breastfeeding for example in a restaurant. For a nation who have no problem with nudity I'm surprised you felt self-conscious in Finland. When more women breast feed in public people will get used to it - so carry on.

Amandine.K

Post by Amandine.K » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:14 pm

I breastfed my twins for 6 months and a half. When we were here I had no problem with staring while feeding them (mind you never both at the same time, just one by one). With experience you learn how to do it so that it doesn't look like you're breastfeeding (strategically put the tee-shirt so you don't expose too much and what you expose is covered by the baby). In any case well done for breastfeeding your baby, I know it is not an easy job ;)

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:02 pm

I have seen lots of young mums breastfeed here in Tampere, i do too! Now on baby number 3 & have breastfed in most cafes, Hesburger, in the bus, a pub, airport & even on a bench by the harbour (bit cold for boobs though!) I usually wear baby in a wrap carrier, "Kantoliina" in Finnish, & when baby wakes, I just move him around a bit, then he´s off, & peiople can´t see too much but it does look a bit weird! Old ladioes especially have commented on both babywearing & breastfeeding as making the baby contented!

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:06 am

Maybe because I'm a first time mom or then I'm just so totally unobservant :oops: that I haven't seen anyone breastfeed in public places (cafes, malls and certainly not by the harbour :wink: - though I did breastfeed by the beach on Juhannus! and perhaps my most adventurous was at the zoo! :D )

That plus the cultural aspect from where I come from - breastfeeding has still not caught on as much as here in Finland. So, that's why while breastfeeding comes naturally, breastfeeding when I'm outside the home has been a bit stressful for me.

I must say that since I last posted here and thanks to all your kind advice and encouragement and places that offer such facilities (I was at Stockmann's Baby room today and I've made a list of places which has Baby feeding facilities for my shopping route or when I'm out) and that has made me feel more confident and less panicky when baby cries for milk.

Also penelope's advice on giving water to baby is right on. Hot summer days and baby is loving the water! Gotta go now, time for baby's last feed - good night everyone! :moon: Catch up again tomorrow!

heidisivonen

Moving to Finland

Post by heidisivonen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:30 pm

Thanks for your question and all the replies!

If you frequent Itakeskus, I will be there in that area in July planning on finding a place to live.

We can meet if you like. With my first son I fed him upstairs on a secluded bench in that same mall.

I also have a bib that is made for breast feeding (although you can make one yourself I got mine at BabiesRUs) I used it when I could not cover as well.

Let me know!
Heidi