Resident Permit for mother (family ties/reunion??); laws????

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
foreigner

Post by foreigner » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:01 pm

Hi,

Any insight/advice will be much appreciated. Even the contact of a lawyer whom I could hire (hels/espoo/vantaa) to take this up with the admin, would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Here is my case (I will try to keep it short):

1) I have been living in Finland for almost 4.5 years (A-type continous resident permit) . My mother is a widow and my brother in my native NON-EU country looked after her (lived with her) until almost a year ago my brother came to Finland for study.

2) My mother back home was alone and started having depression due to loneliness and I invited her to Finland on visit visa. After she came to visit me, I figured out that it will be totally impossible for her to go back and start living in my home country on her own.

3) I applied resident permit for her on the basis of "FAMILY TIES"and wrote all this information in there (basically stating all the above and saying that I didnt need to apply this if my bro didnt come to Finland).

'4) Some people have told me that your case wont succeed from the UVI. Is that true?? :(. On the other hand some others are telling me that it is possible through an appeal after the rejection by the UVI. This will be in the administrative court. Is this true??? On the other hand I have got a letter from UVI some days ago that there is a possibility of rejection so I can submit my opinion (Aliens Act Paragraph 145). Things dont look really fine isnt it? :(. I dont know if there is anything else that I should do to strengthen the case. I have almost reached a dead end as far as thinking is concerned :(.

5) My problem is that if Finland rejects the resident permit of my mother, I will seriously be thinking to leave Finland and going back to my home country with my mother :(, which is not in my plans. I want to make sure that the final outcome of this episode is in my favour so I am prepared to take this to any court/level it might lead to. So any advice/guidance/experiences might help me.

If you are still reading, thanks!.. Thanks in advance if replying! Rgrds..

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sy

Post by sy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:24 am

See the discussion in the other thread before:

bb/viewtopic.php?t=13711

Here is the info from UVI's web site:
Other close relative
A close relative other than a member of the immediate family can, in certain cases, be granted a residence permit on the basis of family ties. The permit can be granted if the person living in Finland (the sponsor) is a Finnish citizen, or an alien who has been granted a residence permit on the basis of refugee status, need of protection or temporary protection, and the people in question intend to continue their earlier close family life in Finland, or the close relative is fully dependent on the person living in Finland. The reason for the earlier separation must have been compelling, for example due to refugee issues.

Dependency on a sponsor living in Finland refers to both physical and psychological dependency. Pure financial dependency does not constitute complete dependency.

Usually, persons belonging to this group include the elderly parents, adult children and unmarried siblings of an adult living in Finland.
UVI's general opinion is that if the family tie is really strong enough (psychologically), the family reunion can always happen in your home country.