Marriage Counseling

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
ronrubies

Marriage Counseling

Post by ronrubies » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:04 pm

I am told it's not the the typical Finnish way but....I would appreciate referrals to tried and appreciated english-speaking marriage counselors. The Tuusula/Kerava/Jarvenpaa area is preferable but Helsinki is ok too. Feel free to PM me or post a reply.

Thanks much.

Marriage Counseling

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

EP

Post by EP » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:02 pm

I don´t know who has said that it is not a typical Finnish way. Finnish couples go to marriage counseling just like anybody else. It just depends very much on the councelor how it turns out. Hah, I went to counseling about 20 years ago, and avoided divorce. But not because the counselor was so good. Quite the contrary, they both (male & female, we needed two because we were such a difficult case) were so awful that my husband and I sort of united against them. We decided that it is them against us, and perkele, they are not going to beat us. Stilll married.

This is the place where I would go if I were you:

Kansainvälinen avioliittoneuvonta: puh. 09-709 2401, sähköposti: [email protected]

He specializes in international marriage counseling. I have seen him on TV, and he is really something. A catholic priest turned into a Lutheran minister, and married to a Finnish woman 30+ years. Great sense of humour. And it does not matter what your religion is, he deals only with marriage/relationship problems, not religion. Long experience, good knowledge.

karen

Post by karen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:06 pm

EP wrote: This is the place where I would go if I were you:

Kansainvälinen avioliittoneuvonta: puh. 09-709 2401, sähköposti: [email protected]

He specializes in international marriage counseling. I have seen him on TV, and he is really something. A catholic priest turned into a Lutheran minister, and married to a Finnish woman 30+ years. Great sense of humour. And it does not matter what your religion is, he deals only with marriage/relationship problems, not religion. Long experience, good knowledge.
I second that recommendation. He was the priest who officiated at my wedding. He counseled us prior to the ceremony. After the wedding I arranged an information seminar with him for foreign couples in Helsinki. I felt very comfortable talking to him.

Good luck to you!
:sun: