cow's milk for baby and more vitamin d questions

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
RA

Post by RA » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:33 pm

I stopped nursing last week and I've been giving my daughter cow's milk. She gave it to her a while before to get her used to it, in food and sometimes mixed with breastmilk. Before I stopped nursing, I'd nursed her only twice a day for quite a long while. She's now drinking about a liter a day, would you say that's like normal? She doesn't like it warm at all, she wants it fridge-cold (logical considering the weather). I'm just wondering how would I know if she's lactose intolerant? Her stool patterns have changed since she's been drinking more milk and it's like every time she drinks milk a bit later we have to do a nappy change. She doesn't seem to have an upset stomach or gassy at all, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. I guess I'm just wondering if you've noticed similar changes when making the transition from breastmilk or formula to cow's milk.

Then the other question. Since cow's milk has added vitamin D, could we do away with vitamin d drops?

saving chimpanzees is a big hairy deal

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:25 am

How old is your daughter?

I have read books that state categorically that none of us should be drinking cows' milk (only baby cows should drink cows milk) and then other medical opinions seem to suggest that we cannot survive without it.

First of all, I have three boys and one of them has NEVER had a drop of cows' milk (at least not intentionally) in his whole life (he is 13 yrs). He is healthy (in fact I cannot remember the last time he went to see a doctor, or even had a cold) and he is full of energy, he's the tallest boy in his class etc etc. We get calcium from lots of sources and also fat and vitamins. Personally I don't think that cows milk is an essential part of a diet. In many countries (eg in SE Asia) cows' milk was not consumed at all until recently.

There has been tons of medical research linking cows' milk to diabetes and breast/prostate cancer and a whole range of other ailments. But the jury is still out..... I think you have to read as much as you can and then make up your own mind.

Personally I think that drinking milk WITH a meal (as is common in Finland) is not a good idea. A glass of milk is a meal in itself and your body just doesn't need the extra fat and sugar. So, IMO drink water with food, not milk. Have a glass of milk for breakfast with some bread or cereal, and maybe mid-afternoon as a snack but one litre a day for a small child is probably too much (calories) especially if she is eating solids as well.

This time of year you don't need any extra vitamin D !!! Stop the drops !

RA

Post by RA » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:39 pm

penelope wrote:How old is your daughter?
She'll be 1 in two weeks.

So what did you give your boys to drink other than water when they were little?

While it's this hot I've been trying to get her to drink as often as possible so she doesn't dehydrate. I mostly offer her water in between meals, but she won't drink it that much. With meals, I've given her milk and she gulps it down and always wants more, so she's going like 2 sippy mugs of milk, plus her main meal. I haven't ever given her juice so I don't know how she'd take to that.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:23 pm

Well, the one who has food allergies used to drink a revolting milk substitute called Nutramigen which cost an arm and a leg and would turn my stomach every time I prepared it. But he loved it. The other two are happy to drink water and always have been. They also drink juice now but didn't much when they were little. They always had milk for breakfast (the little one - he's 10 still does) and again for supper but I never gave it to them during the day. In France kids start school at 3 and are given water to drink at lunchtime. So that's how mine got used to it.

I still think that if your daughter is only 1 yr old a whole litre of milk per day is too much.... it may fill her up and she'll lose her appetite for fruit and veg and other things so she will not get a balanced diet. But it might be worth asking your pediatrician what she thinks.... I know that in Finland a lot of pressure is put on parents to give their children milk (after all it is a cheap form of protein for kids - main reason why it is part of school lunch every day) and it is better than soda.....

BTW some mineral waters are calcium rich. Contrexville was the one we used in France for my son who cannot drink cows' milk. The calcium is always listed on the label.

suomeksi

Post by suomeksi » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:36 pm

Hello RA,

two things, but I have to cut it short, no time, sorry! As far as I know (from reading books), you cannot substitute cows milk for water. Milk alone will not stop her from dehydrating, pure water is best, or water with a small amount of sugar free fruit juice, but only now and then, for some extra vitamins.

About vitamin D: Even in my home country a little farther south (Germany), children are given Vitamin D throughout their first year. According to my Neuvola nurse, you can/should cut the amount to three drops per day instead of five, after the baby is weaned. Baby should get enough from sun light and solid food.

Best wishes
A.

micky

Post by micky » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:18 pm

In my opinion, milk is not a great drink to accompany meals. Calcium and iron don't get along , so any iron-rich meal would not be well absorbed if consumed along with milk. Water (simple or accompanied with a little unsweetened fruit juice) would be better.

Having said that, I hear toddlers can be stubborn, so: how about diluting her milk with water? Do you think she would fall for that? You could progressively increase the amount of water in the mixture.
micky

micky

Post by micky » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:32 pm

Also, I hear that luomu/organic milk is preferable to standard milk. Standard milk is homogenized and apparently this process changes the structure of its fat molecules and makes them less digestible. As far as I understood.
micky

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:33 pm

I got this from the online medical journal I subscribe to. Hope it's useful. While it does say that organic milk has definite advantages over non-organic milk, note that this article does not address the issue of introducing cow-milk to very young children.

Though we're still a way from weaning our little one and the formula milk found in Finland (Nan, Tuttelli) can be given till the baby is 12 months old, I do wonder what we'll be giving our baby when he is over 12 months. It's funny that formula milk as an alternative for children can't be found here and everyone consumes cow milk from a young age.

Shazzer

Lifelong Health: Organic Milk Does a Body Good, But is it Safer?
By Dr. David Lipschitz

In my household, I always have one big task: Grocery shopping. In recent years, my wife insists on organic milk -- fearing the antibiotics, hormones, medications and chemicals used to keep cows healthy and the milk flowing. While we tend to stop at organic milk, there is a burgeoning organic industry producing free-range chickens (with a significant price tag), as well as every imaginable fruit, vegetable and canned food. A billion-dollar industry, organic foods cost more but hopefully are leading to a cleaner environment, less contaminant exposure and better health.

So, what's the truth about organic? Is it really better?

Organic milk has definite advantages over "non-organic." These cows eat fresh and clover grass and silage that is very different from dairy farms where cows consume a corn-based diet. Milk from organically raised cows contains twice as much naturally occurring vitamin E, beta carotene and various other antioxidants. Because the diet is not corn fed, organic milk has a higher concentration of omega 3 fatty acids that lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of a heart attack, cancer or stroke. Because organic milk is rich in omega 3 fatty acids, low-fat rather than skim milk should be used.

The organic debate spreads beyond the clear nutritional benefits; many are alarmed by the use of pesticides in farming as well as pollution from industrial contaminants. To allow our nation's fruit and vegetables to grow as efficiently as possible, nearly a billion pounds of pesticides and other chemicals are used for farming and to create green, weed-free lawns. A fraction of these pesticides leach off the land, ending up in the food we eat and in our waterways. Significant exposure has been linked to an increased risk of birth defects, cancer, neurological diseases and many other illnesses.

In general, however, the level of contamination is very low, and the purity of our food and vegetables is rigorously monitored by the Food and Drug Administration. There are guidelines for every imaginable contaminant to assure that the levels in our diet are not harmful. Despite years of awareness, industrial pollution still remains a concern.

Currently, the FDA states that there is no evidence that the level of contaminants or hormones in store-bought non-organic milk is harmful to your health.

Most pro-organic supporters maintain very strong feelings toward the healthful qualities of organic vs. non-organic. However, for the mainstream medical community, the jury is still out. In recent years, the FDA and other governmental organizations have spotlighted specific harmful contaminants, most notably mercury (in our fish) and benzene (in our sodas).

Mercury is a contaminant that we hear about frequently, and there is a widespread belief that all fish are significantly contaminated. Concern about mercury began in 1953, when an epidemic of chronic mercury poisoning occurred in Minimata Bay, Japan. High levels of mercury in the fish caused severe brain damage and some fatalities. Since then, the FDA has limited the amount of mercury in fish consumed to less than 0.5 part per million (ppm). Today, only swordfish and tuna contain mercury at a level greater than 1 ppm. Because of this, I often recommend that fish should only be consumed twice weekly. However, any fish other than swordfish and tuna can be consumed safely every day with no risk of mercury poisoning.

A recent government study showed high levels of benzene in over 100 brands of soda. Many sodas contain benzoate as a preservative that interacts with Vitamin C to form benzene. Although this has generated much concern, the FDA states that the levels of benzene are not high enough to cause harm (mainly hematological cancers). All of the companies making the affected drinks are changing the sodas to reduce benzene levels to acceptable levels.

There is no question that our food chain contains minute levels of pesticides and other contaminants. Currently, these levels are rigidly regulated by the FDA, and no clear proof of harm has been demonstrated. Many drink organic milk to avoid contamination. For me, the main reason to drink it is the presence of healthy fatty acids rather than risk of poison. While the FDA regulates the safety of our food, we must always be aware of potential risks and problems of environmental pollution and ever-changing farming techniques.

----

Dr. David Lipschitz is the author of the book "Breaking the Rules of Aging." To find out more about Dr. David Lipschitz, and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at http://www.creators.com. Dr. David Lipschitz' e-mail address is [email protected]. More information is available at http://www.drdavidhealth.com.
Copyright 2006 Creators Syndicate Inc.

RA

Post by RA » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:22 pm

Thanks for all your replies. We've been away and just dropping in home to do laundry before we hit the road again. Have had no internet access...

I think she must have been going through a phase or something, 'coz stool patterns are back to normal now and she's not drinking so much milk anymore. It was really hot then as well. She's now going with one mug of milk or a bit less with each meal so that comes to 4 times a day plus she's drinking a lot more water than she was before. We have the neuvola next week so I'll ask them there as well and let's see what they say.