Getting married in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
cozmicgal

Post by cozmicgal » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:49 am

Need help...

Am a Singaporean who's planning to move to Finland April next year and getting married to my Finnish boyfriend.

We plan to register our marriage here in Finland and am currently lost in the tidal wave of applications, procedures and the various requirements.

Could someone please help provide me with a streamlined run-down of what exactly do I need to do? Am calling on Finns who's married a foreigner or foreigners who's married and settled down in Finland.

Would greatly appreciate any insight on the topic and it'll help me get a clearer idea of the whole process.

Cheers!

BTW, juz returned home after spending a week in Finland. Such a lovely place..(despite the grey weather!) Can't wait to see it in spring.

Risk Everything, Regret Nothing

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Väinämöinen

Post by Väinämöinen » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:57 am

Finland has legislation requiring proof that people getting married are not currently married to other people. Since the US doesn't officially track something like that, I had to go to the American Embassy and get a statement from them about it.

Besides that, I had no problems. I assume you will have to do the same thing. Contact the consul for Singapore - they should have the information you need.
~David

cozmicgal

Post by cozmicgal » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:29 am

Thanks david...

Appreciate that. Read something about that as well from the Embassy of Finland here in S'pore.

Cheers,

Michelle

Väinämöinen

Post by Väinämöinen » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:12 pm

You might try this:

http://www.mfa.gov.sg/internet/sgmission/idx_smw.htm

It appears that the representative to Finland is not resident in Finland - instead he is in Sinapore. So maybe you will need to do some work before you get here - I was able to do it all in Finland.
~David

richard berman

Post by richard berman » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:45 pm

Great news Mich, so you are going to marry him, I can not wait for the big white wedding :-)
Web hosting from 8€ a month http://www.Oxterweb.net

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:03 pm

I thought Singaporeans solemnized themselves... anyways, I suspect what you need to do is get an official draft of the marriage records - that you have no record of a marriage, and then take that to the local Finnish embassy to be authorized if they will do that.

I found loads of information if I want to solemnize a foreigner in Singapore :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

cozmicgal

Post by cozmicgal » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:47 am

Thanks everyone for all ur help and suggestions :) do keep any other ideas and comments coming...useful or otherwise :wink:

Have gathered an arsenal of numbers and addresses to various organisations and all I've got to do now is the legwork of getting papers together. So far, it seems fairly painless. According to the embassy of finland here, all I need is a certificate from my local registry stating that I've never been married and get it certified by them before my fiance can submit to the local registry in Finland.

Easy peasy it seems...but we'll see.

Thanks all again :)

btw: Hi Richard!! fancy seeing u here!

Mich

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:24 am

If you are getting married in a church then you will need to join your local parish as well.
Cheers, Pete.