how do you raise a family on 40K euros? or can you?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
rev. green

Post by rev. green » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:00 pm

How do you raise a family on 40K euros?

Easily. I raise one on about half that :lol:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:07 pm

rev. green wrote:How do you raise a family on 40K euros?

A Family....
Less than 1700 per month...
Easily....?
Like to see your domestic accounts..
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

enk

Post by enk » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:33 pm

sinikettu wrote:
rev. green wrote:How do you raise a family on 40K euros?

A Family....
Less than 1700 per month...
Easily....?
Like to see your domestic accounts..
What's so hard about it?

-enk

sotka_

Post by sotka_ » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:22 pm

sudentassu99 wrote:Have you been here to check out what % tax you will pay (I very much doubt it will be 40%).

http://vero.fi/default.asp?language=ENG ... RO_ENGLISH
A good link, but remember that:
However, if you try to figure an exact amount of net take-home pay, remember that there is another pension and unemployment insurance contribution that you pay yourself. Your actual withholding rate also includes this contribution.
So the effective percentage will be about 5 units higher, when calculating yout net income.

Btw. 40k / year @ Helsinki -> ~27% (+5%) -> 2267e / month, without (extra) deductions. And 'cause we're talking about taxes, your mileage will vary significantly.

nomad_alien

Post by nomad_alien » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:46 pm

Ok, so 40k is about the area my salary is and I have a family and mortgage and here's my story :)
It's hard! Sure, we can get by and don't have to go hunger BUT...if you want to go abroad on holiday....forget it. You will have to make quite a bit of sacrifices. If you are happy going between home and cottage, then greta, you save a lot of money. We have one beaten up old car which if it has to break we won't be able to afford to fix it right now. We live very carefully (financially).
We are right now looking into leaving Finland for financial reasons. Yes, there is a LOT we will miss from Finland, but for our personal lifestyle this just isn't working. We like to go and have holidays abroad and we just can'tafford it every year. I'm also a bit of a workaholic and if your hubby is also then Finland will drive him INSANE, simply because like the people said....you have a lot of free time :D (Yes, I know I will one day I will regret this.)

Work pace in Finland is sloooow, which is great if that is what you want. I think your husband might get frustrated in his job when after 15:00 there's nobody in the office anymore :shock:

From what you are saying I would be very careful moving to Finland, cause if hubby is not happy in his work life it seems there might then be problems on the family side as well, and then to "struggle" with the money.....difficult.

Of course, that said, it can all work out IF and only if he can find a very good job which can "guarantee" him a very busy time, and that will be your secret to success I think because he will then get a desent salary as well.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:43 pm

nomad_alien wrote:I think your husband might get frustrated in his job when after 15:00 there's nobody in the office anymore
Oh, I wish it was so, in my previous office I could play Motorhead with fill volume at evenings and weekends... now we have guys burping and ordering pizza in the 24/7 service... :twisted:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Meri-Tuuli

Post by Meri-Tuuli » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:19 pm

Finnmom wrote:Meri-Tuuli-- why is your mom bitter? i could see that the kids might be bitter, but why is mom bitter? i thought you said the kids had turned out fine. .
Well I don't think my mother is 'typical'. She was bitter because in Finland her two boys (my brothers, I wasn't born yet!) where doing really well in school, having a good life, etc. She was a single parent at that time, I must add. Then she met my English father, moved her two sons and went to live in England with my English Dad.

Now the two boys had to go to an English school, and they couldn't exactly read or write English that great at that point, I mean not enough to start sitting exams etc etc etc in it. Basically, they didn't adjust too well, one turned abit crazy and got into drugs, and dropped out and then the other dropped out of school completely too, both when they were just 16.

I mean, now, 20+ years later they're doing fine (ish!), but my mother blames the move on their problems, I mean if she'd stayed in Finland then the boys wouldn't have had to suddenly start sitting exams in a language they don't know that well, etc etc. Plus I mean in England at that time, there was no really help for kids who didn't have English as their first language. Now I think they'd be some support at least.

I mean the thing is, you sound like a nice supportive mother, my mother ain't the most stable of people at the best of times, my parents have had *seven* marriages between the two of them, so I don't think my family life is the most ideal for bringing up 'normal' kids, if you see what I mean.

I guess you could talk to your kids and see what they think about it? Like you say, it very much depends on them. I'm sure they'll be fine. Anyway its sort of the other way round - you're going back to the country you're from, and not going to a totally new country. So...that probably helps.

So, anyway. Thats that!