Actually Here

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
KaDaSa

Actually Here

Post by KaDaSa » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:34 pm

Hard as it is to believe, we arrived in Finland last Wednesday. We are staying at my in-laws' place until we get my residence permit and the all-important KELA paperwork taken care of (yet another foreigner looking to mooch off of Hank's taxes). For any that may be interested in shipping goods from the US, we used a company called Star International Movers, which is affiliated with VictorEk in Helsinki, and they seem pretty competent. The car and household items should arrive in Helsinki around 02 February and then we can deal with getting the new tires and inspection/registration fun. If anyone knows of any good sites for apartments/townhouses in the Tampere area, please let me know!

Actually Here

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:38 pm

Welcome to Finland!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:08 pm

Theres a place you can order tires online cheap; I hope you got the spare rims in the boot. Oh, and Nilsiä S-market will by all probably have peanut butter. ;)

And sunrise is in a few months...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

KaDaSa

Post by KaDaSa » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:26 pm

Hank the fact that you happen to be absolutely correct with your peanut butter comment doesn't make it any less presumptious ;) I think I can handle the darkness, but what happened to winter? Oh, and what site is that has the good deals for winter tires?

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:33 pm

Enjoy Niisiä... nice quiet place..went skiing near there once. ..Bit too icey now but better than what is available here...Dont worry about Hank he is in a Monday morning mood most days... :wink:
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

KaDaSa

Post by KaDaSa » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:09 pm

Nilsiä is very beautiful (well, maybe not the "city" itself, but the area in general), and it's always nice to have a mother-in-law stuffing you full of home-cooked meals. once we get all of my paperwork taken care of and move down to Tampere, i will probably be living off of the excess calories i am now putting away. it's too bad there is so little snow and they have not been able to get the cross country ski areas set up yet.