Car Buying

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sundancekid

Car Buying

Post by sundancekid » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:48 pm

Hi,

I have a query, I saw a Mini Cooper S on Ebay and the seller is in Finland. She mentioned

Hello,

The car is still for sale and we're only selling it because we've moved
house to Finland and the local authorities said that I can't register
an UK supply -Right Hand Drive car in Finland... So I'm practically forced to sell the car.But my lost will be your gain.

Is this true? The car is basically worth £15,000.00 in the UK and she's asking for £3,000.00 which I find a bit sceptical. Please advise anyone. Thanks

Car Buying

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

peteh

Post by peteh » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:14 pm

Post the link - impossible to go through over 1000 entries

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:15 pm

Well, shipping it back to the UK would be going to cost her a few grand.

About her not being able to getting it registered its quite true if she got it done wrong way around, and then she has to have the car either rot outside loosing value (can't have it on the street though as it would be towed) and garage storage costs big money, so if shes had it in a garage for a year that £15K already easy... as she cannot drive it if shes a resident.

However its a bit "too cheap" but the advice I'd give to her is to drive it off the pier, so...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

sundancekid

Post by sundancekid » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:46 pm

cheers Hank, shipping costs and everything else is including in the sale price!!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:47 pm

:shock: post the damn link...
Cheers, Hank W.

sinikala

Re: Car Buying

Post by sinikala » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:09 pm

sundancekid wrote:Hi,

I have a query, I saw a Mini Cooper S on Ebay and the seller is in Finland. She mentioned

Hello,

The car is still for sale and we're only selling it because we've moved
house to Finland and the local authorities said that I can't register
an UK supply -Right Hand Drive car in Finland... So I'm practically forced to sell the car.But my lost will be your gain.

Is this true? The car is basically worth £15,000.00 in the UK and she's asking for £3,000.00 which I find a bit sceptical. Please advise anyone. Thanks
Nope, it's bollocks. You can register a UK RHD car here, I've got one.

AFAIK it doesn't matter what way round "you get it done", so long as you stump up the tax that Tulli asks for, you can register it.

That could be an issue for her as they may want a huge chunk of tax which the seller can't afford on top of the £15k mini.

Anyhow, the seller would have to be (a) be pretty damned stupid to take 1/5th of the value of the car or (b) pretty damned rich to take the hit of a loss of £12k.

Reason being - shipping the car from a Finnish port to Tilbury docks cost me about 2500 FIM last time I did it so possibly €400 today.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:21 pm

sinikala wrote:Nope, it's bollocks. You can register a UK RHD car here, I've got one.

AFAIK it doesn't matter what way round "you get it done", so long as you stump up the tax that Tulli asks for, you can register it. .
No you can not. You can get around it, with some intelligence, but unless its a "moved in" you will get an initial "no". Museum vehicles might be treated slightly differently, but to be "driving equipent on the right" at some inspection stations you get a load of crap for it.

And maybe she is RRHWS ;)
Cheers, Hank W.

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:22 pm

sinikala wrote:Nope, it's bollocks
Quite possibly it is :D

No Mini Coopers listed on ebay.co.uk or ebay.com as being located in Finland.

Joker.
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:28 pm

I found one close enough tho...

However it is most likely an ebay scam, as the price is too "low".
Cheers, Hank W.

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:38 pm

:D Hank

I see it even comes with own autotalli, impressive!
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:09 pm

Hank W. wrote:
sinikala wrote:Nope, it's bollocks. You can register a UK RHD car here, I've got one.

AFAIK it doesn't matter what way round "you get it done", so long as you stump up the tax that Tulli asks for, you can register it. .
No you can not. You can get around it, with some intelligence, but unless its a "moved in" you will get an initial "no". Museum vehicles might be treated slightly differently, but to be "driving equipent on the right" at some inspection stations you get a load of crap for it.

And maybe she is RRHWS ;)
What do you mean, unless it's a "moved in"?

I had no problems whatsoever registering the RHD I brought here several years after moving to Finland. The guy at the Autokatsastus (somewhere in Olari IIRC) did mention there had been some rules about RHD vehicles, but they were no longer in effect, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:29 pm

Yeah, well, the *several years* here.

paging Farmer John, you got the Austin in plates?
Cheers, Hank W.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:57 pm

Hank W. wrote:Yeah, well, the *several years* here.
About as clear as mud.

I'm waiting to hear one circumstance which would prevent a car being registered here.

I can't imagine one. If the car is roadworthy, doesn't matter how you get it here, you can AFAIK make it legal, it might cost, but there are no fiery hoops to be jumped through backwards.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:51 am

sinikala wrote: I'm waiting to hear one circumstance which would prevent a car being registered here.

I can't imagine one. If the car is roadworthy,
Its got the steering wheel in the passenger seat, hence it is not roadworthy. :lol:
I know a bloke who brought a Lotus over, and he had to state he was starting a postal delivery service to get it in, as it wasn't "brought when moving" - Phil might remember when he'd brought it was it before or after the rules change.
Cheers, Hank W.

Quin

Post by Quin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:33 am

I checked this recenlty myself and you they can NOT deny a RHD drive if it lives up to the other regulations. For example you will need to switch the headlights to LHD lights and switch the fog light and rear driving light around.

If that is done you are allowed to register it in Finland without any problem (after bending over and taking the tax with a lot of vaseline)