Tandoori Chicken Question

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
karen

Post by karen » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:01 am

Raam, I'd like to have a recipe that uses the powder you gave us. A couple of recipes if you have them.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:41 am

sammy wrote:
How about a Tagine? We just recently got one as a present - so far I've only prepared the lamb-spices-honey-apricot-yummy Mrouzia in it, but it could be used for Tandoori as well couldn't it...? Sort of a Moroccan-Indian alternative... at least the Mrouzia turned out deliciously soft & juicy :wink:
You could try but so far I have only used mine for N.African dishes which are more like stews (quite a lot of liquid) whereas the Tandoori, although it is marinated, is not cooked in a sauce or a bouillon.

If you have a tagine then you should try chicken with preserved lemons. I bought some Israeli lemons from Prisma last week, they were excellent (small, thin skins, juicy). You need about a kilo and a large preserving jar. Cut the lemons almost in half and fill them with sea salt. Then wedge them all tightly into the jar with a cinnamon stick, some cloves, bay leaf and coriander seeds. Top up the jar with boiling water and seal. Leave for three weeks. Then you can start using the lemons in the tagine, delicious with chicken.

Pirkka's dried apricots are really good. I have used those with almonds in both lamb and chicken tagines.

I'm not sure I would risk putting my tagine into a really hot oven, but traditionally they are put into the ashes of a fire, so I guess they should withstand high temperatures.

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:32 pm

Any advice for what to cook these on?

We've trawled Prisma, Ale-Makasiini, Lidl and an S-Market trying to find some sort of wire rack on which to lay out the fillets......... :(

Will normal baking parchment suffice?
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

enk

Post by enk » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:48 pm

sudentassu99 wrote:Any advice for what to cook these on?

We've trawled Prisma, Ale-Makasiini, Lidl and an S-Market trying to find some sort of wire rack on which to lay out the fillets......... :(

Will normal baking parchment suffice?
See if Siwa still has some hanging around. They were selling Hackmann baking pans with racks for €7.95 at least still last week in Kilo.

-enk

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:28 pm

Danke! :)
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:06 pm

enk wrote:See if Siwa still has some hanging around. They were selling Hackmann baking pans with racks for €7.95 at least still last week in Kilo.

-enk
We just wandered down there and they had 3 left! :D

However, they said we needed some Ykkos bonus card to get the special price :(

I was too mean to pay the full €15.........

Have decided to apply for all cards now!

Thanks for the nod anyway :)

enk

Post by enk » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:22 am

sudentassu99 wrote:However, they said we needed some Ykkos bonus card to get the special price :(
Ah, crudola! That bites!

-enk

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:29 am

All went OK, cooked it on paper, seemed fine.

Overdid the marinade though, too much joghurt. 400ml plus a whole lemon was too much for 900g of chicken.

Two small red (think they were bird's eye) chillis in 750g of joghurt for the mint sauce was far too hot. Firey little buggers!

muddymuddy1

Post by muddymuddy1 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:52 pm

Glad it worked out ok.

Don't be put off by your over hot chillies! It is worth persevering and getting right :)

My chicken worked out fine, but once again it was just a vehicle for me to enjoy the mint/coriander sauce :D

Thanks again for prompting me to copy your menu choice last night :)

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:50 pm

Glad you enjoyed your's :)

Yes, the chillis was an issue, previous packs of chillis I'd used in Finland had been dissapointedly bland, so when I opened this new pack, I thought, "these small red ones must just be small versions of the other bland ones". It was only after I'd whizzed the belnder that I thought, "Christ, perhaps they were bird's eyes" :shock:

muddymuddy1

Post by muddymuddy1 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:14 pm

I am sure that this emoticon :shock: was a pretty accurate description of the effect :)

I also wasn't aware that there was anything quite so powerful available on the shelves here...... Thanks for the warning, I will keep a vigilant eye :)

raamv

Post by raamv » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:36 am

Btw, where did ya get them chillis?

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:19 pm

raamv wrote:Btw, where did ya get them chillis?
Sorry raamv for the late reply. I think they came from Prisma. :)

I'm growing some plants from the seeds. The plants are doing well but no sign of chillis yet. If/when they do I can post you a couple :)

raamv

Post by raamv » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:46 pm

Karhunkoski wrote:
raamv wrote:Btw, where did ya get them chillis?
Sorry raamv for the late reply. I think they came from Prisma. :)
I'm growing some plants from the seeds. The plants are doing well but no sign of chillis yet. If/when they do I can post you a couple :)
Nah its ok!! I get them from Viiv voan and free them..
Chillis need lotsa sunlight n moisture!! I am sure that you know that!! :wink:

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:04 pm

raamv wrote: Chillis need lotsa sunlight n moisture!! I am sure that you know that!! :wink:
Yup, I do thanks :) It's been something of a hobby for a number of years. I'm sure the combined vit C content of chillis coupled with their antiseptic properties keeps the flunssa at bay! :)

The green chillis are doing well, so much that the plants are bending under the weight of the fruit. However the bird's eye chillis refuse to flower :(

Tips welcome!