They´re sending me an English CHEQUE

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Mook

Post by Mook » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:34 pm

Hank W. wrote:Which not bein present in the UK with a gas bill is kind of... complicated ;)
They accept Finnish gas bills too...
(I've opened accounts in the UK since being in Finland)

Another option would also be to open an offshore account somewhere like the Isle-of-man or Jersey e.g. http://www.bankofscotlandinternational.com

---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

zam

Post by zam » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:11 pm

Usually banks accept foreign checks only within 20 days of their drawing (drawn in Europe/Mediterranean), within 70 days if the check originates from outside Europe/Mediterranean.

Most banks have published terms for cashing foreign checks:

Nordea: http://www.nordea.fi/Corporate+customers/Payment+services/Payments+from+abroad/761214.html wrote: Foreign cheques

A cheque you receive from abroad can be a bank cheque or a cheque drawn by a private person. If Nordea cashes your foreign cheque, it will be credited to your account at Nordea Bank Finland on the fifth (5th) banking day. We handle foreign cheques in accordance with the General terms and conditions for cashing foreign cheques.
In Sampo the service charge for cashing a foreign cheque is
0.30% or min. 13.00 EUR.

Osuuspankki charges for
immediate cashing 0.30%, min. 16.00 EUR
cashing in 5 banking days 0.25%, min. 11.00 EUR

Nordea 17.50 - 23.00 EUR

Handelsbanken 0.30%, min 35 EUR

Aktia (only for Aktia customers) 0.30% min 11.00 EUR

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:14 pm

Darn that carrier pigeon feed is expensive...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

zam

Post by zam » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:18 pm

Finnish Banker's Association has published General Terms for Encashment of Foreign Cheques:

http://www.pankkiyhdistys.fi/sisalto_en ... gnch01.pdf

Finnish Banks follow these guidelines but have their own service fees.

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:36 am

wow, thanks zam! Very helpful! Now what is 0.25% of.........
cheers!
Allie (spent it all in my head already..... pay off the credit card in UK, renew Uk passport, have a weekend break away somewhere......!!! :roll:
Allie the Britmum, "äiti" to 3 boys, 10,9 and 7, & little princess, 4.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:41 am

I'd recommend for the latter tervise paradiis in Pärnu ;)
Cheers, Hank W.

raamv

Post by raamv » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:24 am

zam wrote:Finnish Banker's Association has published General Terms for Encashment of Foreign Cheques:

http://www.pankkiyhdistys.fi/sisalto_en ... gnch01.pdf

Finnish Banks follow these guidelines but have their own service fees.
I recommend this as a Stickie :idea: :arrow:

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:47 pm

Hank, that looks great, especially the package entitled SECRET OF A BEAUTIFUL BODY :D

Great prices too, now all I need is THE MONEY first, to renew the UK passport!

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:58 pm

:x :x :x :x screeeeeeeeeeeeeeam!
I am so disorganised that it is causes chaos:

In order to release my money to my Finnish bank account (HOORAY for that, but in pounds, so the bank will charge a lot to change it to euros anyway.....)
the company want off me:

1. photocopy of passport (mine has expired & in my maiden name anyway :roll: )
2. bank details (in my married name)
3. copy of a utility bill with my address on it (my hubby pays the bills)
All my finnish stuff is in my married name.
more screaming :x
so, I think I had better ask for a marriage certificate from magistrati, send it to them, along with a copy of expired passport & a copy of my bank statement letter, which is the only thing I get with my address on. Can´t even send copy of Finnish citizen card instead of passport, for instance, as also recently expired :oops:

Hmmm, me thinks the money may not come for a looooooooong time! :roll:
yes, i am an idiot, yes I am an idiot, don´t say it...
(Hubby just laughed when I told him all this)

llewellyn

Post by llewellyn » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:34 pm

I have once had a cheque (from Ireland after I had said that whatever you do, just don't send me a cheque), which proved to be a very interesting experience. It had to go from my local branch to my home branch which then sent it to their Helsinki HQ (I have no idea why it couldn't go directly there from my local branch). I think they even said that it then went actually back to Dublin to be somehow cleared with their representing bank after which they notified my local branch which then paid the cash to my account. I am bit hazy about the details, this was before Euro, but it was quite an amazing saga. Hopefully it's less complicated these days. Quite strange to have such pieces of paper signifying payments, it feels somehow historical... I guess they are still quite widely used in many countries.

ad

Post by ad » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:30 pm

Why don't you just deposit the cheque straight into your UK credit card? After you receive it send it to your parents, or whoever, and get them to go to the bank which your credit card account is with, fill out a deposit slip, and hey presto. Then when you close out the account they will have to give you money...
Don't work me, I just ask here

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:36 pm

ad wrote:Why don't you just deposit the cheque straight into your UK credit card? After you receive it send it to your parents, or whoever, and get them to go to the bank which your credit card account is with, fill out a deposit slip, and hey presto. Then when you close out the account they will have to give you money...
Thats a good idea! :D

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:47 pm

Sara wrote:
ad wrote:.... After you receive it send it to your parents, or whoever...
Thats a good idea! :D
...would be, only the snail-mail is on a go-slow(er):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7027142.stm

:roll:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:48 pm

oompah18 wrote: 3. copy of a utility bill with my address on it (my hubby pays the bills)
And these people think something like that proves anything? How about a bank statement? Which also about 2 minutes with scanner and photoshop I can generate my address into your shed.

Did you ask if they want all this sent with a carrier pigeon?
Cheers, Hank W.

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:44 pm

Hooray, I checked with them, & it appears that my bank statement appears to be suitable proof of address, if I don´t have a "utility" bill! Well, that´s one thing less anyway. Going to county office (or whatever it is called) to request marriage certificate tomorrow, which happens to be almost next door to the police station, where I must report my residency card expired, which is also almost next door to KELÄ, where I will give them my photo & get a new card from them too (am I almost legal here yet?) THEN all I have to think about is how to get almost 200 euros to renew the bloomin´UK passport BEFORE they can release the dosh :roll:

(still dreaming of spending!!!)

By the way, I can´t send the cheque straight to my credit card company(great idea though) as, ahem, I cut it up many years ago, & am not allowed a new one anyway, barclaycard say, because I don´t have a UK address. So even when it is totally paid off, they won´t issue me with one. The amount I owe them is less than 10% of the actual savings cheque I am trying to get my hands on anyway!!!!
The only reason I am in this financial mess is, because I gave up a lucrative, taxfree job in the Middle East when I was single, to marry a Finn, & become a kotiäiti in Finland (and my brain still occasionally forgets I don´t have a salary coming in!!!) :lol: :lol:

cheers,
Allie