So down

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Hassane

So down

Post by Hassane » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:09 pm

good morning everyone. what happened with me unbelievable. I've received an invitation to the entrance exam at Haaga-helia university. I took the invitation and all necessary documents and I went to the consulate to apply for a visa allow me to travel to Finland to do my entrance Exam my documents were completed and everything were very clear. and I got refused. the base that consulate used to refused me ( the purpose of your intended stay is unclear).???????
and no one there answered me why I got refused .... I'm so down and I don't know what to do .. to who I can Complain. anyone have any Idea just tell me. I feel really unjust decision. by the way this is happened in the finnish consulate in Egypt but is that makes any different ??

So down

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sammy

Post by sammy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:38 pm

Sad to hear that... :?

But since no-one here has access to your documents and any other information on you that they have gone through, we can't give any valid opinion as to why exactly your visa application was refused.

That said, in principle it does sound strange that an official invitation to an entrance exam would not be 'enough' - if everything else is in order.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:48 pm

Unless you had no proof that after the examination you will return back to Egypt to wait for the results.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Hassane

Post by Hassane » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:09 pm

Hank W. wrote:Unless you had no proof that after the examination you will return back to Egypt to wait for the results.
everything were in order and I've told them in the interview I'm going to do the entrance exam and then Return back to my home country .. what else they were need I've prepared 4000 Eu for that journey . and flight ticket . and everything you could think of .. now I've refused a bad stamp in my Passport and this will effect negatively on my travel opportunities in the future .. how I can Complain .. and what I should do now .. I think it's my right .. !

Hassane

Post by Hassane » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:32 pm

I really need some guidance .. I dont know to whom I can send my Complain. at this moment what is in my head , the prsident of finland . I think to send Complain to the prsident of finland is that sound good or what I don't know .. but I can't do nothing against this bad mark in my passport !! any Ideas ??

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:43 pm

I think you should write to the principal of Helia University and explain what has happened. He might be able to give you some advice on how to appeal.

You could also write to Astrid Thors who is minister for immigration. She should be able to tell you how to get reparation for the stamp in your passport

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:45 pm

Also maybe it can help to go back to the embassy and ask again why they turned you down? As long as you dont get angry and rude, you might find a person there that would at least tell you this. I hope.

zam

Post by zam » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:39 pm

I'm afraid that you do not have a right to appeal against a decision on granting visa for Finland. If this was a residence permit issue you could appeal to the administrative court, but not for visa.

Visas fall under the jurisdiction of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs while residence permits are handled under the Ministry of the Interior.

Further official info on visas for Finland is available at the website of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

See also Refusal of a visa.

Often the Embassies just categorically do not grant visas for attending entrance examinations, simple as that, so necessarily there's nothing you could do differently or criteria you did not fulfil - just that you happened to apply for a visa for a purpose that is not accepted.

This could only be come over by trying to have the entrance examination arranged abroad - e.g. in the Finnish embassy in Egypt. However, I happen to know that the UAS's in the capital region do not arrange entrance examinations abroad. As harsh as it may sound, I'm afraid you will not make it to study in Finland in January...

Hassane

Post by Hassane » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:19 pm

zam wrote:I'm afraid that you do not have a right to appeal against a decision on granting visa for Finland. If this was a residence permit issue you could appeal to the administrative court, but not for visa.
Is that Sound Fair ... :?: It's obviously prejudice .
I understand that I'm INVITED to do the Entrance Examination according to the Act 351/2001.
and Exactly the firs line in the invitation ( You have met the required eligibility for applying to study at Finnish polytechnics/universities of applied
sciences according to the Polytechnic Act 351/2003. Therefore you are invited to the entrance examination of HAAGA-HELIA Helsinki Pasila, Degree Programme in Business Information Technology.)

then I took all the qualification requirements documents to the Consulate.

so, I don't understand ... WHY! and if they are not gonna Issue me the visa why they give me mark on my passport .. this is obviously unjust :cry:

no one could Imagine how it was hard for me to get refused. (( for no Clear Reason )) .

and if I don'thave right t Complain and If I don't hve right to apply in January ..

What is my rights in this case ?

sammy

Post by sammy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:24 pm

zam wrote:Often the Embassies just categorically do not grant visas for attending entrance examinations
That can perhaps be the case here... however, if this is indeed so, I'd presume that the admissions personnel in that particular UAS would know this (?) and... erm... I mean isn't it a bit silly to send out entrance examination invitations to country X in the first place, if there is NO WAY that prospective students from country X could gain a visa to actually attend that examination?

Feels a bit like smiling and shouting "welcome" through a locked glass door...

Anyway I'm not all that familiar with all the UAS admission procedure legislation/rules; are the institutions obliged to send these examination invitations to all eligible applicants...? I'd think so, based on the clause "All applicants who meet the admission criteria receive invitation letters to the examinations" on the http://www.admissions.fi website...

If the 'invitation procedure' does not provide means of actually avoiding situations like this, the problem is that there are many potentially gifted, able and motivated students who run into big disappointments when applying for an exam visa... tricky.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:06 pm

Hassane wrote:What is my rights in this case ?
Well... what "right" did you have that they took away?

(Stamping the passport with the refusal is a crappy thing, but probably due to some Schengen rules. I'd suppose you'd need to get a new one for that.)
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:09 pm

sammy wrote: Feels a bit like smiling and shouting "welcome" through a locked glass door...
That thing is really weird; I guess the organizing the tests at the embassies is a thing that might be a solution. But the resources...
Cheers, Hank W.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:56 pm

so, I don't understand ... WHY! and if they are not gonna Issue me the visa why they give me mark on my passport .. this is obviously unjust Crying or Very sad
There are several criteria you have to meet before you can get a visa. (see links zam gave you) You have to ask the embassy what was wrong, we cannot answer that.
As for the stamp in your passport, that is a Shengen thing. Otherwise you could try an other country and still enter Finland although you were refused.
I know it is probably not fair, but bureaucratic procedures often are. :cry:

Hassane

Post by Hassane » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:00 am

my next question now .

Is the Finnish government grant funds for the polytechnics universities based on the number of Accepted applicants to the Entrance exam ??

simakun

Post by simakun » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:59 am

we don't know what your background is, all the documents you presented and did not present to the embassy and what transpired between you and the interviewer. a mark on your passport may just be standard operating procedure for a declined dubious applicant. an invitation to an entrance exam issued by a school is not a commandment for the government to give you a visa. i imagine your suitability for a visa may even be assessed independent of any invitation. advice thus far presented will not help you much other than with the sympathy factor. while i understand your feelings and the need to vent, the best place to direct your questions and to get accurate advice is haaga-helia.
If you reason don't you know your own preoccupation is where you'll go - Gotta Get Away by The Offspring