Finnish Encyclopedias

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
shadow11

Finnish Encyclopedias

Post by shadow11 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi, here is an unusual question. In just about every encyclopedia in the world, you'll find a map of the European theater of war. Finland is usually listed as an Axis nation, or a cobelligerent (I've seen this only once in an American encyclopedia). So for my question, is Finland labeled as a part of any alliance on WW2 maps (in Finnish encyclopedias)?

Finnish Encyclopedias

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: Finnish Encyclopedias

Post by onkko » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:48 pm

shadow11 wrote:Hi, here is an unusual question. In just about every encyclopedia in the world, you'll find a map of the European theater of war. Finland is usually listed as an Axis nation, or a cobelligerent (I've seen this only once in an American encyclopedia). So for my question, is Finland labeled as a part of any alliance on WW2 maps (in Finnish encyclopedias)?
We were alliance with germans against russia, we learned from winter war that waiting help from uk etc was useless, but werent allies like that we would go to fight somewhere else or attack too much behind our borders. There were of course some sissi attacks on railways in murmansk etc.
That is still debated in finland tho but consensus is that.

So short answer. We werent really allied to anyone in world war, we had war against russia with help of germans.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:08 pm

depends on which year. the maps look different in 1939-1940, 1941-1944 and 1945

after all, in 1939-1941 USSR was a German ally and "cobelligerent", does that show in the hollywood history maps?
Last edited by Pursuivant on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

shadow11

Post by shadow11 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:07 pm

Most English language maps would look like this:Image

I'm guessing in Finland it would look different then?

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:22 pm

No it wouldnt, only difference is that in our point of view we werent part of world war. We just had to ally with only one (german in this case) who could help us against russia. Denmark also is colored as ally but it also was conquered etc :)

shadow11

Post by shadow11 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:40 pm

No it wouldnt, only difference is that in our point of view we werent part of world war. We just had to ally with only one (german in this case) who could help us against russia. Denmark also is colored as ally but it also was conquered etc :)
That comes as a surprise, I've heard other Finns say that they considered the Continuation War and the Lapland War to be part of the Second World War.
(On a related note, the Germans and Soviets who fought in Finland considered their fight to be part of WW2.)

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:42 pm

shadow11 wrote:
That comes as a surprise, I've heard other Finns say that they considered the Continuation War and the Lapland War to be part of the Second World War.
(On a related note, the Germans and Soviets who fought in Finland considered their fight to be part of WW2.)
Well it was part WW2 like every other war in that time but finns didnt fight WW2 but against russian in separate war.

shadow11

Post by shadow11 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:35 am

Would anyone like to post a WW2 map from a Finnish encyclopedia? I've always wondered what that would look like.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:05 pm

shadow11 wrote:Would anyone like to post a WW2 map from a Finnish encyclopedia? I've always wondered what that would look like.
Depends probably about the time of the encyclopedia and time of the map. But my gut feeling is that we finns have thought that we were neutral (in allies-axis axis). We were not fighting for or against allies nor axis, we were fighting for our independence against much stronger foe and such had to take every help we could get.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

shadow11

Post by shadow11 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:42 pm

How about a map detailing 1941 or beyond from a current encyclopedia? Similar to the one I posted

EP

Post by EP » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:35 pm

Not from an encyclopedia but from an on-line schoolbook:

http://www.oph.fi/etalukio/historia/kan ... artat.html