Wedding party band... HELP!

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more

What music do you have at your wedding?

Bumtsibum
No votes
Jazz
21%
Classical
14%
DiscoFever
36%
Umpa
14%
Other, please specify below
14%

Total votes: 14

daive

Post by daive » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:32 am

Hello boys and girls

We are in the process of trying to find a band for our wedding party (in Helsinki) so if you guys have used anybody half decent or can make any recommendations then we would be truly grateful!

Our budget is quite tight so looking to spend under 900e for the band for the evening.

Thanks in advance.

Daive

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Gonzo

Not really relevant

Post by Gonzo » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:03 am

Well we had a classical duo at our low-key wedding reception, and it worked very well. They had quite a broad range of styles though, so there was something for everyone. I think it is a good idea to get a band that can be flexible and play to the crowd, rather than just stick to one style of music.

Oh, and we are in Satakunta, so that's not really applicable as a specific recommendation. Sorry.

Congratulations on getting married though, and good luck with finding the right musicians.

Nathan Lillie

Post by Nathan Lillie » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:28 pm

We had a guy who played the accordian, and kept the Americans at the wedding throughly entertained with his "local color" - moose hunting stories and so on. He played for about 1 1/2 hours, for 50 euros, a plate of BBQ chicken and a bottle of peppermint schnaps.

After my wedding experience, I can say that the key to a good finnish wedding is to get everyone stinking drunk. After that, nothing else matters - not the ceremony, the food (well, maybe the food a little), decorations, band - nothing. As soon as the guests see an open bar full of alchohol, any previous inadequacies are immediately forgotten. You should have seen the joy in their eyes when we brought out the booze. My advice is to skimp on the band, and spend the money where it will be appreciated.

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:32 pm

Have you tried posting any advertisements at the local music schools? You could probably audition some good starving artist musician ensembles very easily that way.

Too bad the Sibelius Academy is in Turku... but that might be close enough for you, dunno...

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:39 pm

arabella wrote:Too bad the Sibelius Academy is in Turku...
Turku :shock: What have you been smoking?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:42 pm

Well, they do have the Museum. :?
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:43 pm

Hank W. wrote:
arabella wrote:Too bad the Sibelius Academy is in Turku...
Turku :shock: What have you been smoking?
Maybe I'm wrong on that- A friend of mine lives in Turku and goes there, so I concluded that the Sibelius Academy was there...

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:45 pm

And Åbo Akedemi :mrgreen:

Sibelius-academy does have campuses in Seinäjoki and Kuopio, and a course centre in Järvenpää. IIRC church music & folk music.
Cheers, Hank W.

daive

Post by daive » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:52 pm

Nathan Lillie wrote:As soon as the guests see an open bar full of alchohol, any previous inadequacies are immediately forgotten. You should have seen the joy in their eyes when we brought out the booze. My advice is to skimp on the band, and spend the money where it will be appreciated.
Cheers everyone, keep the suggestions coming. Unfortunately we can't take advantage of the above, being a finnish wedding in a set venue means there is absolutely NO chance of having a free bar, it would completely break the bank. If we were doing everything ourselves then of course we could have gone to Estonia and stocked up on cheap booze, but alas we have to stick to the prices of the wedding venue, hmm!

Since we can't guarantee on people being completely sloshed, the band is quite important for setting the whole tone of the evening, getting people on the floor etc...

Cheers Arabella, I have already considered putting some adverts in the music academies here in Helsinki, just not got round to it yet. It is a shame cos I know so many professional musicans and bands here in Helsinki but they just are not appropriate for the wedding, can't see my parents being too impressed with the likes of Mariska entertaining the crowd!

Have a good weekend all. 8)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:58 pm

Just teasing you Arabella :mrgreen:

Hay, Daive, depends on the age of the crowd. You can get a band doing a variety but weddings are usually 'old folks dances' if you get a harmonica guy. Or then tou can get some wicked string band of Elvis clones. Mariska... eeeehhhh...

Have you decided on the waltz yet?
Cheers, Hank W.

daive

Post by daive » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:02 pm

Hank W. wrote:Just teasing you Arabella :mrgreen:

Hay, Daive, depends on the age of the crowd. You can get a band doing a variety but weddings are usually 'old folks dances'

Have you decided on the waltz yet?
Hank, I have two flat left feet. I am primarily looking for a bit of classical and some acid jazz thrown in during the meal , after the meal I want 'get up and dance' music. Hank, you worked on a cruiseship, perhaps you can put together a village people style act and we can bring you on if it is all going a bit pearshaped!

At about 11.30, the band will exit and my mate will be DJing until about 2am, hopefully all the old fogies, ie family will depart after the main band has exited!!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:13 pm

:mrgreen:

...didn'a we have some musicians liming around here?
Cheers, Hank W.

Majava

Post by Majava » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:45 pm

You can take them back to the US (for your honeymoon) as handluggage :lol:
link
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

simon

Post by simon » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:51 pm

Daive

There is a guy at my work who plays in a band and they do functions such as this, as weel as lots of other type of stuff. They play all sorts and are quite good.

PM me if you need details

BAT

Post by BAT » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:32 pm

I'm going to a wedding today and will hear the band there. Also, my friend was telling me about some of the bands they were considering, so I'll ask her for the info on them.

Hubby and I had our wedding reception indoors and outdoors at an old farmhouse in North Carelia, so we had Carelian style music played by a woman on the accordian and a man on acoustic guitar. Both were friends of my brother-in-law and studied at Sibelius Academy. The were great, and the music really suited the countryside atmosphere and was a lot of fun!

What kind of atmosphere are you looking for with your band choice? What is the main age group of the people coming? Is there a particular flavour you want for the guests?