Living in Oulu

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.

What is Oulu worth?

Living and studying and working for now?
57%
Only for a short-term visit?
43%

Total votes: 7

Lilianne

Living in Oulu

Post by Lilianne » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:22 pm

What is Oulu like? We are concidering it to become our future home and I thought some of you might have something to say about the city. I would be interested in studying at the Univeristy of Oulu, and my hubby would most likely end up in one of the IT jobs they have to offer, or maybe also study a bit more. It sounds nice and all, but I haven't really been there. Should we go?

-Piia

Living in Oulu

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:19 pm

Do they have any IT jobs actually on offer these days? Unemployment is not exactly low up there!

Ian

Post by Ian » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:02 am

I would say that it is a great place to live!! I've lived here for the last 2 years and 3 1/2 years in total. It is a very young and emerging city with plenty going on in the summer.
As for the job situation, I still think that there are plenty of opportunities to be had as there are so many hi tech companies up here!!

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:12 am

I always enjoy and look forward to visiting Oulu..
It's main negative point is when the wind blows on a winter's day...it is a bit cool!
:roll:
Also if the wind is in the wrong direction the perfume from the paper mills is not to everyones liking :wink:
However the positive sides of the deal of being there make it one of my favorite towns.
The area around what they call "Hose Pipe Park"..Letkupuisto..is very pleasant on a summer evening with some excelent terraces and always alive with friendly international chatter.
There are some fine restaurants and pubs with a wide range of beers.
I found one excellent restaurant last time I was there by accident..I came out of the railway station and it was blowing a gale with horiziontal sleet..so I dashed across the road and spotted what appeared to be a cellar bar/restuarant and dived in. :o .It was. :lol: :lol: ..I stayed there and enjoyed until the weather improved with several others who were also hiding from the weather and it made for yet another pleasant Oulu evening! ...sorry cant remember the name but I am sure that one of the local will know it.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:04 pm

I have to say I liked the place, but then I was in the fortuate position of being a student and not really working and I avoided the winter.
There are some nice bars and stuff, but it is a SMALL town. Not a city
According to the Ministry of Labour, in May of this year unemployment in Oulu province (numerically Oulu!) was the highest in Finland at 17%, compared to just 9.3% in the south.

Do not go without a confirmed job!

The High tech firms are busy relocating and/or going bust!

http://www.stat.fi/tk/tp_tied/tiedottee ... 38tyme.pdf

City of Oulu tells it like it is!
http://oulu.ouka.fi/efa/welcome.html
They don´t want you! Read this site and links before doing anything silly, like actually going!

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:16 pm

Lilianne- I've sent you a PM, but I'll reply here as well so that others can have another experience to compare to.

I have so many conflicting feelings about Oulu, that it's hard to sum up my opinion about what it's like to live here. Sometimes it seems like this is the place to be because of all of the economic development projects and the fast-growing population, but on the other hand it seems like a place where outsiders simply do not like to stay for too long. And the god-forsaken winters don't help. Those who have jobs which they are satisfied with are content in Oulu...because they have a job.

The longer I live here, the more I get this feeling that Oulu is a rather..."masculine" city; on paper there are a lot of opportunities for women, but in actuality things here are a lot easier for men. I say this because, since joining the Women's Club I've become acquainted with a very diverse group of both female expats and Finns, and those who came to Oulu without a pre-arranged job, with the intention of staying permanently, all have pretty much the same story to tell: one of frustration and bitterness. That said, I think that studying at the university is a very good plan, but job prospects after that might not be so promising.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:43 pm

Dusty as always issues the warnings signals..and sorry to have to say it...but it is factual..I have several customers in Oulu and our own subsidary office/lab there and they/we are finding continued existance in the area increasingly difficult...The Hi Tech bubble has not burst but it has become a tad deflated..several big employers have moved out to Hungary and China others who fed from/to them have reduced staff/hours.

However If you can get a university post or a job and if you can handle the Oulu winds/weather..then it is a great place..
Their Ice Hockey team report for training next week....
You are a female so ...
Perhaps you might even qualify to join this team... :shock: :wink:
http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/cheerleaders/

Ian

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:19 am

I first came to Oulu in 1998 and stayed for 18 months. After 3 years in the UK I was ready to come back. I've been here now for a further 2 years, and even though I split up with the person that brought me back to Finland 6 months ago the thought of returning to the UK was dismissed rather quickly!!

I like this little city!! Certainly there can be things which are tough, but I think that its a Finland thing more than an Oulu thing!! As with anywhere, if you are prepared to put a little effort in, the rewards are there to be had!! I've even decided to buy a house here!

As for the job situation, it is sensible advice to say don't move here (or anywhere in Finland) if you don't have something definite to do!

so I dashed across the road and spotted what appeared to be a cellar bar/restuarant and dived in. .It was. ..I stayed there and enjoyed until the weather improved with several others who were also hiding from the weather and it made for yet another pleasant Oulu evening!
The place you went into Pete is called Oskarin Kellari!! How long did you have to wait for the weather to improve? 3 months? :wink:

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:28 am

Ian wrote:
The place you went into Pete is called Oskarin Kellari!! How long did you have to wait for the weather to improve? 3 months? :wink:
Thats the place...only there was no Oscar there. :D .but there was a very friendly Jaana.."Oh you inglissh I like to pratis minun engliski!" :wink:
Food was excellent also...(for your reference only I arrived at 17.00 and left at valomerkki :wink: olin kiltti poika!"