first resident permit- based on other grounds

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
jjjjj

Post by jjjjj » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Hello,

I am currently helping my boyfriend apply for his first resident permit and would appreciate any advice regarding our situation.

He is Canadian, and a professional musician who is represented by an American record label and management. He also has a contractual agreement with a Finnish management company, because he is currently touring and recording full time with a Finnish band. All of his earnings are submitted to the American label. He has enough savings to prove he can live here. All of the touring departs from Finland, and all of the rehearsals and recordings happen in Finland, therefore it is most efficient and affordable for him to reside in Finland.

Does this situation warrant an application based on other grounds? I believe the contract he has with the Finnish management and Finnish band would in some sense be 'employment' but since he is not getting a salary from the Finnish company, then I thought the case could be looked at as 'other grounds'.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

raamv

Re: first resident permit- based on other grounds

Post by raamv » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:29 pm

To which country does he pay tax?
If he becomes resident in Finland, he is subject to Finnish Tax!! ( Unless its a temp transfer for less than 180 days. Then you are subject to Tax of the country that you are a resident of).
So Consider carefully before you apply on other grounds.
Moreover, I really wonder if he ll qualify for the resident permit ( Other ground = Temp transfer Might work .but you need paperwork from both companies and evidence of support documents etc....But after 6 months, U definitely need a resident permit )!!

jjjjj

Post by jjjjj » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Right now he pays taxes in the states.
He has all paperwork required. Both contracts from his American management and Finnish management.
So he would need to pay taxes on his earning which he must declare to Finland? I guess that makes sense.....

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:49 pm

I'd think it falls under the "other grounds" provisions for artists, as long as he is not classified as a "restaurant musician" i.e. "not performing in Finland".
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

jjjjj

Post by jjjjj » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Although most of the performing happens abroad, he may play in Finland every once and awhile. For example in a bar or festival. But mainly the touring happens abroad. Does that make a difference?

jjjjj

Post by jjjjj » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:48 am

if anyone else had some advice that would be great.

I think at this moment his earnings are so little Finland wouldn't require him to pay taxes. But of course that could/will hopefully change in the future.

What kind of resident permit is granted when applying for 'other grounds'? Is it the same type as employment?

Right now he has an O type visa in order to tour the US:

"The O visas, which can be issued for up to three years and can be renewed, are reserved for individuals and their accompanying essential support personnel, for people involved in:
Arts
Sciences
Business
Education
Athletics
Film and television

Does such a permit exist in Finland? Is that what 'other grounds' mean?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:51 am

More or less yes.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:19 am

jjjjj wrote:I think at this moment his earnings are so little Finland wouldn't require him to pay taxes. But of course that could/will hopefully change in the future.
If one resides in Finland, one most certainly needs to pay taxes in Finland. If one doesn't earn enough or have enough cash, one can't get the RP.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

jjjjj

Post by jjjjj » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 am

As I said, he has enough savings to support himself as according to the requirements