Who is learning Finnish?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
suomiruli

Who is learning Finnish?

Post by suomiruli » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:37 pm

Hello!
I am just curious who's learning to speak Finnish.., and how... I am but i don't do it with a course or something, i just teach myself a bit from parts of internet.. I think a course is lots easier, because now i have to puzzle it all to one big part, but i am on school, so i can't study finnish or take a course, so that's why i do that.
But i know now the basic grammar, and very few words. I can find the most grammar and words on internet but it stays difficult...
But now i am curious how you all (have) (going to) learn(ed) finnish, and what your experiences are with that. :P :)

Who is learning Finnish?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Karyuu

Post by Karyuu » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:47 pm

Heheh, a first post of mine. Mm. http://finnishschool.com/ is great for vocabulary purposes, first off. I've stopped practicing lately for a lack of time, but if one continues (and as I'm getting back in the habit), it's a really useful tool.

I'm also considering buying the FSI tapes/books on Conversational Finnish, and the only place I've found it thus far is here: http://www.worldlanguage.com/Products/8394.htm

I've been warned though that the product they offer on that site could be out of date, and I've yet to explore it further.

For the time being, my options are limited as well, as there are no real courses around me that I am aware of, and I am quite busy with my current college classes too. But as long as learning the language is pursued continuously, even if in small ways, as long as some progress is being made, it's all good :)
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose, and we blew it!"

RSH

Post by RSH » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:51 pm

I would imagine a course would be best because it means you don't have to be self disclipined, you get to hear a proper accent (if you have a Finnish teacher), you can discuss things you don't understand etc etc

But as I am not here regularly enough to attend a course then I am struggling with the internet and some CD-roms I bought from Amazon, which have some silly games that are good for learning nouns. The one with the games is called Talk Now from Euro Talk and there is one with a book and exercises called Teach Yourself Finnish.

Other languages I have been able to teach myself, learn it as I am there and spend a few lessons getting my head round some grammar etc, (well except Arabic but it was also taught in Malay so I think that's too unfair!) but this languages alludes me completely.

Good luck with the learning. I wish I was learning Dutch again, seems to easy in comparison!

meksikosuomen

Post by meksikosuomen » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:04 am

Where in Netherlands do you live?
hope this link helps you

http://finland.cimo.fi/studying_finnish ... broad.html

It´s a shame i dont have the oportunity to have a finnish course around here, but you can take advantage of living in Netherlands. :wink:
""Mynna tachton gemasti spuhu somen gelen muta emyna dayda""

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:10 am

I just moved here about 3 months ago, and I am enrolled in a Finnish language class. The class environment is much easier since you get to hear, see and speak Finnish the whole time. I did manage to teach myself a few things over the many years from books and CD's, but it was tough because the books can't answer your questions as you go along. So, if you don't understand something, then there really is no help for you. Also, most books just cover long laundry lists of phrases and sayings and don't teach anything about grammar. Although grammar can be a bit boring, it is really essential if you want to learn how to make your own sentances and really express yourself. And it is also essential for understanding people when they speak, because they don't necessarily say things exactly they way they do in the books. But, it does give you a good head start if you plan on taking a Finnish class someday.

Amiel

Post by Amiel » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:43 am

I'm attending Finnish classes twice a week. I enjoy it a lot. The grammar can be a bit tricky but once you understand it, it's really not that hard (I'm not saying it's easy either). :D

Falling Rain

Post by Falling Rain » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:49 am

The Finnish school http://finnishschool.com/ is really useful. I've only been learning for a couple of months but i know several hundred words just from using that. :D

On the down side i have no idea how to actually pronounce those words... :(

khu

Post by khu » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:40 am

Finnish pronunciation is almost entirely deterministic, unlike, say, English. If you can see a word you can pronounce it correctly.

Falling Rain

Post by Falling Rain » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:48 am

Excellent. :D

I cant pronouce terve though!!! :( It's utterly ridicluous... but everytime i try and say it the er sound gets swallowed up by the R. And so it sounds like trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrve. :shock:

khu

Post by khu » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:07 am

Terve really shouldn't be that hard to say! Do you know any spanish, for example? The 'ter' in terve is kinda like the 'terr' in, say, 'terra' in Spanish. Are you sure you've got the vowels right?

Falling Rain

Post by Falling Rain » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:10 am

I really dont know. I think i just need to practice my 'Rs' while i'm speaking. :oops:

khu

Post by khu » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:24 pm

Can you find somewhere online that provides recordings of pronunciation?

kweckduck

Post by kweckduck » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:39 pm

Im lucky when it comes to pronounciation and learning the finnish language.

I have a finnish girlfriend. I just found out about finnishshool.com and its great.
Anywhoo I try and tell her stuff in finnish, but I mostly get frustrated by the irregularities. Feels like learning french all over again.
For instance I look up the verb "give" which is "antaa" only to find out its conjugated as follows: annan, annat, antaa, annamme, annatte, antavat

Go figure ...
But we go on ...

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:49 pm

kweckduck wrote:conjugated as follows: annan, annat, antaa, annamme, annatte, antavat
Now you understand why latin is useful...

amo, amare, amavi, amatum, amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant,amabam, amabas, amabat, amabamus, amabatis, amabant,

and there is only one conjugation instead of four :twisted:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

haahatus

Post by haahatus » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:49 pm

What irregularities? That isn't a irregularity :shock: Finnish mostly isn't random