karitsan?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
pdiaz

karitsan?

Post by pdiaz » Fri May 13, 2005 7:31 pm

Hi,

What does "karitsan" mean? (as in "karitsan sisäfilee"). I can't find it on any online dictionary and I would like to know what I'm going to eat ;-)

Thanks!

karitsan?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

pdiaz

Post by pdiaz » Fri May 13, 2005 7:35 pm

Doh!, I just found it (karitsa=lamb). Sorry for such a stupid post (mental note: next time don't search for a genitive... ;-) )

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri May 13, 2005 7:47 pm

If I am not mistaken "karitsa" is generally considered better than "lammas" and is usually more expensive though I am not sure what the real distinction is.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri May 13, 2005 10:46 pm

Yes, but.... there is mutton and mutton...

I never understood lamb in Finland. In the UK it is possible to buy fresh lamb for Easter because the sheep lamb in the autumn. But what happens in Finland??? Are lambs really born and reared indoors throughout the winter (on hay/feed)??? I definitely saw fresh Finnish lamb for sale at Eastertime? I thought that all Finnish lamb was slaughtered after the first decent snow fall.... in which case prime Finnish lamb time would be November.... which is the natural life-cycyle of a lamb.

IMO buying fresh Finnish lamb this time of year is really suspect. Just what have these animals been chewing on over the last six months... not fresh grass that's for sure ????

In the UK there is a distinction between mutton and hogget. Both are IMO better than lamb for flavour. Hogget is a sheep that is in its second year, mutton is in its third. Even a three year old sheep is still a "young" animal and has so much more flavour than a 4 month old "spring" lamb.

The best I have eaten in Finland is from Aland - but don't buy it now, wait until NOvember!