Outdoor grills in public parks in Helsinki

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
polarbear

Post by polarbear » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi, is it legal to grill in public parks in Helsinki? Someone said to me that it's prohibited except Vappu day. Is it true?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Outdoor grills in public parks in Helsinki

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:25 pm

they banned it just this year - you can do it only at designated spots that are a bit scarce...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Cloudberry

Post by Cloudberry » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:48 am

Oh, so there are no public BBQing facilities in parks in Finland? It's not something I ever thought about. Just about every park in Australia has a BBQ for public use. It's funny the things you take for granted! I might just go rustle up some BBQ items and find me a public BBQ. May as well make the most of it :lol:
The person on top of the mountain didn't just fall there.

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:56 am

Well, what Pursuivant meant is that in recent years, during summer, it has been all the rage to buy disposable carry-along BBQ grill thingies (in effect, sort of aluminium trays with an in-built coal system...) and lighten them up in the parks - usually on the lawns which has meant that there were dark, burnt spots everywhere... moreover, people did not extinguish them properly and there were some fires IIRC. I think that was banned. Not because BBQing itself, but because of the side effects... you might find 'designated spots' in some parks, but I don't think they're too common. And those that exist are probably covered in bl*ody graffiti, with any adjoining benches 'adorned' by skilful use of axes and felt-tip pens, and big chunks bitten off from the fireplace bricks by ravenous teenagers.
LisaV wrote:Just about every park in Australia has a BBQ for public use.
Just about every park in Finland is covered in a few feet of snow annually. :wink:

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:13 am

In North Espoo (along the Old Pori Road) about 8 kilometers north of Ring 3 is a lake side park.
http://netti.nic.fi/~goz/espoonjarvet/kaitalam.htm
There are several "Grill Sites" mainly along the left bank, you will find wood ready cut.
The lake is very clean and swimming for humans is allowed but dogs are not allowed to enter the water, and there are wardens checking.
If you do a google there are lots of "Flicka" and "Photobucket" photographs like this one.
http://www.helsinki.fi/science/networke ... varras.jpg

As the park is on route to a children's special school/hospital at Rinnekoti one can take advantage of the regular bus service to the hospital..
Bus number 345 from the Railway station bus stop number 27.
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

Keplerinvaimo

Post by Keplerinvaimo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:53 am

There are still a few spots you can bbq:
The Uutela area (in Vuoasaari) has two 'grillikatos' and there are a few in Nuuksio National Park as well. We've bbqed in Nuuksio in winter a couple of times ;)
Our local beach (Tuoriniemi - Herttoniemenranta) had a bbq, that was burnt down and rebuilt a few times until the city got jack of that and said no more. The dancing pavilion was destroyed this summer (fire again) and won't be rebuilt... bl*@dy vandils. :evil:

Cheers
Heather
Image Image

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:44 am

Keplerinvaimo wrote: bl*@dy vandils. :evil:
the mayor of Nurmijärvi says he won't endorse a train connection as it would bring drugs... go Vanda go
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

papajhons

Post by papajhons » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:59 pm

Public, many housing alliance ban grilling on rooftops because there's an excessive amount of smoke and smell gathered around and it's harmful to the people that live around the area and also disturb them there’s a specific day for grilling and it’s stringently forbidden to use charcoal grills or to form a fire in Suomenlinna. Grills used one is additionally forbidden.