Finnish cheese guide?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
agroot

Finnish cheese guide?

Post by agroot » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:34 pm

Anyone happen to know some cheese guide in Finnish/Finland, listing what's available here and what they taste like?

I barely ate those gas generating yellow stuff until something called "Tuorejuustorullat" showed up in front of me a week ago. The taste was lovely but only in Prisma far from where I live, so I'm hoping to make those myself and probably try some of the huge selections of cheese in supermarkets, which I have zero idea about even if they're in plain English.

PS: I only know of the shredded cheese for pasta, mozzarella for tomato and blue cheese for steak.

Finnish cheese guide?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

SecretCode

Re: Finnish cheese guide?

Post by SecretCode » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:28 pm

I assume you've tried the iconic Finnish cheese: leipäjuusto. Probably no one eats it very often, though.

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:35 pm

As to actual purchases ... Oltermanni ... more Oltermanni ... and then variants of international cheeses. There is a good one similar to Port Salut. I can't remember what else I've bought ...the downfall of buying by sight in the supermarket!

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:58 pm

Browsing through Kauppasi verkossa – K-Ruoka to remind myself ...

And I see lots that I think I've enjoyed but I am failing to remember which. The gouda, emmental, cheddar and as mentioned Port Salut styles are worth trying.

For pasta, nothing beats parmesan - buy a block and grate it on.
Halloumi is great grilled
None of these are actually Finnish of course.

There are lots of good cream cheeses (tuorejuusto), plain and in regular flavours like valkosipuli, yrtti, ruohosipuli, tomato, kantarelli ... and surprising (to me) flavours like vanilla and lemon. And mustikka.

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:49 pm

Thanks!! :D

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:18 pm

agroot wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:34 pm
Anyone happen to know some cheese guide in Finnish/Finland, listing what's available here and what they taste like?

I barely ate those gas generating yellow stuff until something called "Tuorejuustorullat" showed up in front of me a week ago. The taste was lovely but only in Prisma far from where I live, so I'm hoping to make those myself and probably try some of the huge selections of cheese in supermarkets, which I have zero idea about even if they're in plain English.

PS: I only know of the shredded cheese for pasta, mozzarella for tomato and blue cheese for steak.
As already mentioned, tuorejuusto is cream cheese in English, e.g. Philadelphia with a consistency soft enough that it can be spread. Kermajuusto (literally "cream cheese") on the other hand is a generic term for a semi-hard cheese with high enough milk fat content, e.g. Oltermanni, Pohjanpoika, Turunmaa and various other brands have the word "Kermajuusto" in them.

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:10 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:18 pm
As already mentioned, tuorejuusto is cream cheese in English, e.g. Philadelphia with a consistency soft enough that it can be spread. Kermajuusto (literally "cream cheese") on the other hand is a generic term for a semi-hard cheese with high enough milk fat content, e.g. Oltermanni, Pohjanpoika, Turunmaa and various other brands have the word "Kermajuusto" in them.
Looks like tuorejuusto and kermajuusto are what I should be looking for.

Just had emmental and it's terrible...

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:45 pm

agroot wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:10 pm
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:18 pm
Looks like tuorejuusto and kermajuusto are what I should be looking for.

Just had emmental and it's terrible...
Kermajuusto is mild in taste, and is often the cheapest cheese available. Emmental comes in three basic age categories; blue, red and black "label", from mildest to strongest in taste, but even the black one is aged for some months, not years. If you seriously dislike the taste and/or texture of Emmental (which are fairly basic, considering cheese in general), it just might be that you don't like cheese, "it's terrible" doesn't sound like being only indifferent.

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:27 pm

Indeed ... if emmenthal turns you off, maybe you should ignore my other recommendations! :)

Do you have a favourite cheese among ones you already know?

agroot

Post by agroot » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:03 pm

SecretCode wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:27 pm
Indeed ... if emmenthal turns you off, maybe you should ignore my other recommendations! :)

Do you have a favourite cheese among ones you already know?
But the "Tuorejuustorullat" I had was super tasty, some sort of cheese with spices on the surface. It was very soft, and more salty / tasty than mozzarella.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:17 am

agroot wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:03 pm
But the "Tuorejuustorullat" I had was super tasty, some sort of cheese with spices on the surface. It was very soft, and more salty / tasty than mozzarella.
What you're talking about is a cheese dish, even if made primarily of cheese. I don't know exactly what Prisma is selling, often "tuorejuustorullat" is e.g. cured or cold-smoked salmon or cold-smoked reindeer meat rolled with flavored cream cheese, but from your description it sounds like something different (if it really was only cheese and spices). What I'm referring to https://www.valio.fi/reseptit/tuorejuustorullat/

One approach to familiarize yourself with different kinds of cheese would be to just ask at the cheese counter to have a taste (within reason), or have them make you a "tasting set", e.g. 50 grams each of a few select types, to see which you find palatable.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:26 pm

I found it finally - in the same section as butter and packaged similarly: https://www.k-ruoka.fi/kauppa/tuote/vio ... 8430032686

Tastes same, not like normal cheese at all. So the Tuorejuustorullat I had is actually piles of cream cheese with spices on top. :P