Helsinki restaurant website: www.eat.fi

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
posseidon

Post by posseidon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:50 pm

aspiala wrote:Will look into the floating divs, good idea, do you think they'll affect load times, or fail in dreaded IE?
Something like the following should work in both Firefox, IE and others,
and won't affect page performance or load times:

Code: Select all

<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">

a.tooltip {
	position:relative;
	z-index:24;
	color:#000;
	text-decoration:none
}

a.tooltip:hover{
	z-index:25;
}

a.tooltip span {
	display: none
}

a.tooltip:hover span { 
	display:block;
	position:absolute;
        padding: 5px;
	top:2em; left:2em;
	border:1px solid black;
	background-color:#fefed5; color:#000;
	text-align: center
}

</style>
</head>

<body>
<div><a class="tooltip" href="#">Hover over me<span>Tooltip Text</span></a></div>
</body>
</html>

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:14 am

Hey, thanks! MUCH appreciated. Will play with it once I've got some of these other developments sorted out.

TopDog

Post by TopDog » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:21 am

Many Many Many thanks for putting this together! I was looking for something exactly like this, it will be a huge help. This was a lot of work! :D
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry & has been widely regarded as a bad move.

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:28 am

Hank W. wrote:Ah, OK. But yes, its a bit confusing as usually restaurants are 'open' and 'kitchen open' or 'food available'.... and a restaurant won't want to say they're 'closed'... its a bit 50-60 as matti would say ;) maybe if you had "Keittiö Auki" to emphasise the "eating" part? Then there would be no ambiguity in that sense.
Ok, it now says "Kitchen open" on the site instead of "Open", and I've tried to make sure this is true for more than 90% of the restaurants. I'm sure I've missed a few anyway. If any of you happen to catch any mistakes, it would be a big help if you could click on "Report wrong info to eat.fi" in the detailed restaurant page (or send an email to [email protected]) and let me know?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:36 am

I think that site is absolutely a killer application ;)

I mean I've been having them 'late night frustrations' at times as well, and the truckstops slop... errrm... :oops: ...did I say anything about the michelin-man :oops:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:27 am

TopDog wrote:Many Many Many thanks for putting this together! I was looking for something exactly like this, it will be a huge help. This was a lot of work! :D
Thanks! Delighted you guys are finding it useful! :D

It still is a lot of work, though...if you (or any of you) feel like further demonstrating your appreciation(and find yourselves with nothing better to do), please comment/vote on your favorite restaurants--Click on a restaurant, then on Comment, then Add Comment. From now on, more detailed content is in large part up to you(the users)!

If you use the English version of the site (http://www.eat.fi/index.php?setLang=3 ), you can add your comments in English there--your vote will simultaneously appear in Finnish on the Finnish site.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:51 am

I see you recommend Antiokia Atabar Ravintola :thumbsup: They are really friendly and nice there!

Some more feedback: I had problems with the map on my home computer (Opera), everywhere I clicked/mouse-over I would have the information for the first restaurant I had checked - could be because of issues on the computer's memory, though.

It's pretty good that you are offering free access to all businesses, visitors are to have full content and nowadays internet directories are calling to ask "permission to add your data for FREE". And would you be interested in our (bloody expensive) premium listings"? :D
You could, of course, offer premium service - like extra information on the map when mouse-over (a thematic week, a promotion running throughout the month, etc..). The ads will payback when you have more visitors and business owners figure that a tailored advertisment on your site coupled with a specific landing page can bring costumers.

Tapani

Post by Tapani » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:12 pm

Ok added comments for every place I have been to in the last year or so. Going out tonight so let's see if I can add an other one tomorrow.

Ah and thank you for an excellent website! :thumbsup:
Tapani Savu
Hollantilainen

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:41 pm

ajdias: Have tested site on every browser except Opera--will download it and see what happens. I might add some kind of "premium" services later (like the "thematic promotion" type thing you suggest), but will keep all the basic necessary info free, in order to maintain integrity of content. Will probably also offer banner ads in the future, but not so many that the site becomes a blinking, animated mess... :?

When asking restaurant owners to log in, I had a lot of resistance, mainly because restaurants have had to deal with so many scam sites which offer them "free listings", only to send bills later. (bastards.) Some are still hanging back because of this, but I'm hoping word will spread that this is not one of those sites, and they will come around eventually.

Tapani: Hoorayy!! Thank you!

miffle

Post by miffle » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:04 pm

thanks for this! :)

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:21 pm

aspiala wrote:If you use the English version of the site (http://www.eat.fi/index.php?setLang=3 ), you can add your comments in English there--your vote will simultaneously appear in Finnish on the Finnish site.
There will be plenty of folks who understand both langauges. Maybe an option for which langauges you want to see comments in would be good? English/Finnish/Both

posseidon

Post by posseidon » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:20 pm

Looking forward to seeing:

* A zoomable map
* Menus!!
* Average prices - lunch/dinner
* Possibly, different coloured hotspots on the map according to the
ratings for each restaraunt, i.e. hot or not, as opposed to just open
or closed

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

posseidon wrote:Looking forward to seeing:

* A zoomable map
* Menus!!
* Average prices - lunch/dinner
* Possibly, different coloured hotspots on the map according to the
ratings for each restaraunt, i.e. hot or not, as opposed to just open
or closed
Yayy enthusiasm! Just give me time, I've got lots of improvements planned, but want to keep adding them carefully step by step, not rush and stumble... If you've got the time/interest, we could grab a pint somewhere one of these days and discuss potential technical solutions? (just email tina(at)eat.fi) Or just wait.. :D

Menus are up to the restaurants to add. I can't copy stuff off their sites without permission, and they get all nervous when I ask for permission. They already have a text field where they can put their menus, and some of them have used it, but I think a lot are still waiting to see what the public response is/how popular this site will be before they really start adding their info. Once I get decent visitor statistics I can show them, or if customers who have found them through eat.fi encourage them to be more active, I think this will improve.

Average price is something I'd really like your suggestions about. I've been thinking about this, but haven't come up with a solution that is clear enough. How would average price be determined? With or without wine/alcohol? What is considered a full dinner? What if the price of entrees ranges from 8 euros to 30 in one restaurant, depending on what you order? (pasta or lobster?)

Richard: I'll add the dual language request to my list.

Tapani

Post by Tapani » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:04 pm

Tina when it comes to price I would leave out the booze if you add fastfood joints aswell. Otherwise I either would look what the guidebooks like lonely planet or insight guide use or you could have a look at the cheapest standard menu they have eitherway it will be subjective.
Tapani Savu
Hollantilainen

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:36 pm

tapani: yep, will leave out booze. I figure anyone looking for a place to have a drink in Helsinki is not going to find it a challenge, and as for pricing food with booze, it hugely distorts the price one way or the other. This site is focusing on the food part, period. If a place has an excellent wine list, that can be made clear in comments or the description. Am working on more improvements this week, hopefully will be onsite next week. Thanks for all the comments you've added!