Helsinki restaurant website: www.eat.fi

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
aspiala

Improvements!

Post by aspiala » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:32 pm

Ok, have taken a lot of your suggestions into account, and now you can:

1. Change the language of the visible comments, so you can see them in their original languages (Finnish and English)

2. When you comment, there is a field where you can add how much your bill was, minus alcohol, per person. Eventually, if enough people fill this out, I will be able to give each restaurant an average cost based on real-world experiences, not just the menu. (tapas restaurant dishes are relatively cheap, but you have to eat a LOT of them to have a real meal. Ditto sushi...) So please add your comments to the site! The more you do, the more I can make the site do for you.

More improvements are on their way. Thanks again for your support,

--Tina

Improvements!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

enk

Post by enk » Tue May 16, 2006 12:03 am

This site is beautiful. It seems to have caught on like brushfire with
my friends, so I apologize for increased traffic :D

The only problem that I can think of with it is that it took me way too
long to figure out where to go to lunch today (new job right downtown!) :D

Thanks a mil!
-enk

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Tue May 16, 2006 10:05 pm

Hooray! Thanks for the support! (I seem to be repeating that phrase a lot on this forum...) Increased traffic a problem? You're kidding, right? :P

It's funny, since I added the Sort by Ratings checkbox to the restaurant list, I've personally found a bunch of excellent restaurants that I had never heard of before. So the site, thanks to all your input (ratings and comments) has begun to grow a mind of its own, out of my control, which is both weird and fantastic.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Fri May 19, 2006 1:51 pm

aspiala wrote:Hooray! Thanks for the support! (I seem to be repeating that phrase a lot on this forum...) Increased traffic a problem? You're kidding, right? :P

It's funny, since I added the Sort by Ratings checkbox to the restaurant list, I've personally found a bunch of excellent restaurants that I had never heard of before. So the site, thanks to all your input (ratings and comments) has begun to grow a mind of its own, out of my control, which is both weird and fantastic.
Your site is the best restaurant site (idea+functionality, much better than that Google Maps for restaurants) that I have ever seen.

You should figure out a way to make the millions you deserve... I am sure that Helsingin Sanomat would be interested.

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Mon May 29, 2006 5:38 pm

Thanks! Let me get it working better/looking better first, then I'll see about those millions...am still tweaking a bunch of stuff, and more related projects to come... :D

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:44 pm

Just FYI, here's the newest tweak:

Now if you go to the restaurant list, you can reorder it based on which ones got the best ratings, and you can also specify which ratings you want to take into account: Food, experience, value, or all three.

Have fun kids...

valadaj

Excellent work

Post by valadaj » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:59 pm

I'm a heavy lurker by nature, but this website made me come out of my shell for my first post. GREAT WORK! kiitoksia paljon :)

-Jeff

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:37 pm

Great job :thumbsup:

aspiala

Eat.fi on your phone

Post by aspiala » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:42 pm

I'm almost done with a cell phone version of the site. It's still in beta (duh) but if some of you want to try it out, just go to http://www.eat.fi on your phone browser--it should redirect automatically. If it doesn't, go to http://www.eat.fi/mini . You can also see eat.fi/mini on your browser first, if you don't dare try your phone. I recommend using Opera, but the regular phone browser will see it too.

Also, I just set up a simple forum for those of you with ideas concerning this project, where I'll also be putting announcements and more info about what's happening with Eat, instead of cluttering up this thread:

http://www.eatforum.com

[edit] I've switched to a blog, so you guys don't need to register to leave a comment.

Thanks again for all your support!
Last edited by aspiala on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ferkel

Post by ferkel » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:51 pm

It is a good site. I have used it a few times and now added a couple of ratings. Well done!

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:23 am

Again, eat.fi (and now the mobile version) is the best idea to come along in a long time.

Unfortunately, the restaurant infrastructure isn't as well prepared as the website.

How pathetic there isn't a SINGLE place open at 5 a.m. in the capital of Finland.

Sheesh.

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:47 am

Holy crap. I just checked, and you're right! That's quite unbelievable... I've been thinking of making a wishlist of "Things people are missing in the Helsinki restaurant scene" and putting it on the site for the benefit of the restaurants to go have a look at, in case some of them are considering improvements.

aspiala

Site in swedish

Post by aspiala » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:31 am

If any of you guys know Swedish, you can have a look at http://www.eat.fi/?setLang=6
and let me know if there are any mistakes. I don't know Swedish very well myself (Can speak it somewhat and understand it, but definitely can't write it) so this is all a big leap of faith for me to let someone else translate the texts, and I'm a bit nervous about giving up quality control. Still, I got so much feedback about "why not in Swedish?" that I guess it's high time. Mobile site is done now, btw...

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:09 pm

There used to be... in teh "good old days" when the bus station was still the bus station a very ancient cafe that had the cheapest breakfast in town that opened... 5-ish... Now its an internet cafe - I've tried on a few mornings get a coffee even at 6-ish and nothings open even at the train station...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

superiorinferior

Re: Site in swedish

Post by superiorinferior » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:20 pm

aspiala wrote:If any of you guys know Swedish, you can have a look at http://www.eat.fi/?setLang=6
and let me know if there are any mistakes. I don't know Swedish very well myself (Can speak it somewhat and understand it, but definitely can't write it) so this is all a big leap of faith for me to let someone else translate the texts, and I'm a bit nervous about giving up quality control. Still, I got so much feedback about "why not in Swedish?" that I guess it's high time. Mobile site is done now, btw...
On the whole, couldn't find huge mistakes, just some missing bits on the checklists, especially the names of the city districts...
Helsinki(Pääkartta)
1. Keskusta
2. Kallio/Hakaniemi
3. Taka-Töölö
4. Kamppi/Töölö
5. Katajanokka/Kruununhaka
6. Punavuori/Ruoholahti
7. Eira/Kaivopuisto/saaret
Helsingfors
1. Centrum
2. Berghäll/Hagnäs
3. Bortre Tölö
4. Kampen/Tölö
5. Skatudden/Kronohagen
6. Rödbergen/Gräsviken
7. Eira/Brunnsparken/H:fors öar

Yeah, what is the translation of "fine dining" in Swedish?
Erfarenhet, på det hela taget
, was kind of awkward for me... But it is proper Swedish... hmmm... I can't think of a better phrase.