Indian Restaurants in Helsinki / Espoo area

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
sinikala

Post by sinikala » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:16 pm

raamv wrote:
sinikala wrote:So you say "There is NO Indian restaurant in either Stockholm or helsinki." so of those that are puporting to be Indian / Nepalese.... do you think they serve food which is edible?
I never said that they serve unedible food. They are not Indian Restaurants IMO.
I didn't suggest you said their food is inedible, I asked do you think their food is edible? ( or even good)

Personally I think the Nepalese I've tried served utter inedible crap, Maharaja is edible and Namaskar & Cury Palace were a bit better than OK. I would not say any were really good.
Last edited by sinikala on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:20 pm

Likewise, I'd rather go to Mt.Everest or Buddha than eat in these "Indian" places, I think you will next claim that Maksalaatikko and Saarioisten Pizza is gourmet food :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

raamv

Post by raamv » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:43 pm

Paul_D wrote: A forum is to discuss and to be opened to different points of view, not for someone to blog his life, tastes and dislikes, and putting down all others.
/Paul
Precisely...I did give the recos and my opinions in an open forum...and more..Now what was your blog and tastes n dislikes about blah blah blah....Nice and different point of view!!
and Yes, my moms cooking is the best according to my taste.

enk

Post by enk » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:59 am

Hank W. wrote:Likewise, I'd rather go to Mt.Everest or Buddha than eat in these "Indian" places, I think you will next claim that Maksalaatikko and Saarioisten Pizza is gourmet food :lol:
Psst, Buddha and Satkar are the same people :)

-enk

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:05 am

Don't tell that to me, I can't make a difference between the cuisine or metal plates, I just *burp* :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:58 pm

Paul_D wrote:Regarding Namaskar, there are different ones in Helsinki, and it's not like Mc Donalds : it is different from one place to another...
The best Namaskaar is in Itäkeskus, they make some good food there.
Well at least in my humble opinion!! ;)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:05 pm

The place that is on the bridge? That replaced that "friendly" cafe? Need to try that one someday I go to Itäkeskus, usually I've gone Chinese there.
Cheers, Hank W.

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:22 pm

Hank W. wrote:The place that is on the bridge? That replaced that "friendly" cafe? Need to try that one someday I go to Itäkeskus, usually I've gone Chinese there.
Yep, that's the one.
They really have good food for not much money at all!

raumagal

Post by raumagal » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:10 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I checked out different places but we ended up going to Gorkha. We had gone to the embassy and were checking out our old neighborhood anyway and since it was close...

:-)

They had 5 different selections for lunch and we thought it was good. Our 6 year old daughter even enjoyed the food! They were very nice and the service was fast too. Most of the tables were full.

When we lived there I think it was a Greek Restaurant! It was a fun trip even if it was short. Makes me wanna go back to Helsinki though....

karen

Post by karen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:15 pm

And Helsinki wants you to come back! We miss you.

Truecanadian

Post by Truecanadian » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:32 pm

Are you able to purchase Patak's foodstuffs in Finland. It is canned but it is very good. Because you can get recipes from http://www.pataks.co.uk. Just a thought to make it easier for you to make Indian food. Or you could make curry and chips, now thats a great meal after drinking a half dozen beer. :D

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:48 pm

Theres 'Sharwoods' sauces in Prisma, and 'Rajah' brand stuff (garlic, ginger, pastes etc) and I think I've seen Patak's in the ethnic stores atleast.
Cheers, Hank W.

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:55 pm

Hank W. wrote:Theres 'Sharwoods' sauces in Prisma, and 'Rajah' brand stuff (garlic, ginger, pastes etc) and I think I've seen Patak's in the ethnic stores atleast.
Yes, Patak's is available - I've seen them as well, in ethnic shops.

In fact I think it was about 15 years ago that I first tried my hand in Indian-style cooking - and purchased some kind of a Madras curry sauce to help me in that endeavour. I think it was Patak's (from Stockmann in Tampere) - but what I'm sure of is... that it was pretty hot :lol:

karen

Post by karen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:58 pm

But we also have Raam who likes to share recipes. It's a big birthday weekend here, but I hope I get to try the butter chicken.

Truecanadian

Post by Truecanadian » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:14 pm

Even though butter chicken is very yummy, please look at the fat content in it. It's pretty high compared to other Indian foods.
Sometimes making it yourself is very satisifying to make. But I know sometimes getting all the ingredidents is hard. We have an Indian area where you can buy just about anything to do with Indian food.