All sounds greek to me!

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Samppa

Post by Samppa » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:50 am

Ok.. Tahini is "sesame" in English.

G.S.

Make war with love

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:51 am

Ah, so I should use Seasame Oil perhaps??
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:23 pm

MinnaRaisanen wrote:Ah, so I should use Seasame Oil perhaps??
Is there such? I just read in other forum that one can use sesame seeds even (not oil), the seeds give almost exactly the same taste as oil.
G.S.

Make war with love

miti

Post by miti » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:39 pm

Samppa wrote:
MinnaRaisanen wrote:Ah, so I should use Seasame Oil perhaps??
Is there such? I just read in other forum that one can use sesame seeds even (not oil), the seeds give almost exactly the same taste as oil.
There is sesame oil - you can get it also in many normal supermarkets. Problem is that it is nothing like tahini - definitly not in texture and I think the taste is also not exactly the same (I must be the only Israeli who doesn't like chumus and tahini so I am not that much of an expert about the taste, but I try it sometimes if I cook for guests).
By the way - I have never been in this kosher shop in Helsinki you guys mentioned - does anyone know if they also sell BAMBA there? :shock: :D

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:59 pm

miti wrote:BAMBA
Do not mention BAMBA's name in vain!!! :shock: :x :x :twisted:
:D (well, being honest, I hate bamba :) )

This kosher shop is not very big, 2 or 3 refrigirators and curly noisy Avi. (Haggle with him! He really enjoys it! And the prices can decline up to 20-30%). Mostly meat stuff, fish stuff, I found some pitas there, can't remember if I saw any hummus.
G.S.

Make war with love

miti

Post by miti » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:10 pm

Samppa wrote:
miti wrote:BAMBA

Do not mention BAMBA's name in vain!!! :shock: :x :x :twisted:

BAMBA BAMBA BAMBA BAMBA :twisted: :twisted:
And this is not in vain - it is an honest wish coming from the bottom of my stomach!
I love bamba. Even though they have all over Europe things which look like bamba (in Finland as well) it is not even getting close to the real thing.
Only place abroad where I found bamba was in Murmansk :!: you can imagine my shock - just looking at a window of a shop and thinking to myself 'this really looks like bamba'. And it was the oringinal osem one :D

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:42 pm

miti wrote:
BAMBA BAMBA BAMBA BAMBA :twisted: :twisted:
And this is not in vain - it is an honest wish coming from the bottom of my stomach!
I love bamba. Even though they have all over Europe things which look like bamba (in Finland as well) it is not even getting close to the real thing.
Only place abroad where I found bamba was in Murmansk :!: you can imagine my shock - just looking at a window of a shop and thinking to myself 'this really looks like bamba'. And it was the oringinal osem one :D
:o :shock:
Murmansk is even more Fin-land than Finland itself :!:
Why don't you move to Murmansk then? :wink: (and you must be really crazy. Who in his or her healthy mind would even suggest a thought of going there? Only looking at the map freezes me to death)
G.S.

Make war with love

miti

Post by miti » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:08 pm

Samppa wrote: (and you must be really crazy. Who in his or her healthy mind would even suggest a thought of going there? Only looking at the map freezes me to death)
:D :D :D
The circumstances which brought me to Murmansk are not that strange. When I was studying in Finland they organized for us an excursion to North West Russia (the Kola Peninsula) so I got to see all those places you usually hear about only in the context of environmental desasters or some nuclear submarines accidents. It's not as bad as you might think - I was already informed about all the bad stuff so no surprises there, but therefore had lots of positive surprises (mostly due to nice people).
Still - I have no intention whatsoever of moving there. Even if they do sell there bamba. :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:22 pm

Ah, Sammpa was told if he came to Helsinki and complained, he'd be taken to Murmansk for a week.

Next time he complained, he'd be taken to Murmansk for a month.

If he then complained, he'd be given a one-way ticket to Murmansk :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:44 pm

Hehehehe :lol:
Better send me back to Israel :)
G.S.

Make war with love

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:56 pm

They've passed a hat and sent us a voucher for the one-way ticket to Murmansk you know :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:04 am

They? :shock: Who "they"? Do you mean there's a conspiracy against me!?
G.S.

Make war with love

miti

Post by miti » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:25 am

sorry to interrupt the conspiracy theory :D but I was just looking in google for the production of tahini and here is what I found

Tahini is an oily paste that comes from the crusing of seedless toasted sesame without the addition of other nutrients.Tachini, is mainly used in the Middle Eastern countries in traditional dishes.In addition, tachini, is the basic ingredient of halva.

(http://www.afs.edu.gr/agroweb/agroweb_2 ... tahini.htm)

I think I will do some experiences myself when I have time and see what comes out of it. In case of success I will let you know. Now back to you, Sampaa :wink:

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:27 am

So, I have come to understand that you CAN use seasame oil (which I have at home for my Asian cooking). Combine the oil with beans, garlic, salt and lemon and off you go, no?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:44 am

I was thinking that tahini had the consistence of peanut butter more than oil.

Also- call me a neanderthal, but I've never really noticed a difference in hummus if they put the tahihi in or leave it out :)