Turkish Delight

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
enk

Post by enk » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:38 pm

sinikala wrote:
enk wrote:Never found anything there that I couldn't find somewhere else ;)

-enk
Enk = not often found eating jelly & custard :wink:
Very true :)

-enk, who is about to go sit in a bar all night and drink water or soda :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:27 pm

So I finally got my hands on the rose-flavoured turkish delight from the Oriental store in Itäkeskus. (haven't had time to visit the grouchy guy at Jasmin just yet). They were on sale - only 1.99 euros.

Just some questions - are the rose lokums supposed to come in shades of mottled orange? How come the ones I got have only got sugar coating on ONE side of the lokums? I do taste the rose essence but also a lot of sugar granules which makes it super-duper sweet...

Is this what I get for forking out 1.99 for dodgy lokums? 8) Can't tell where it's made in and I sure better check the expiry date too! :shock: :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:32 pm

You better check your sell-by date, they don't call 'em "funky stores" for nothing :lol: Instead of a 'Turkish delight' you might get a 'Revenge of Atatürk'...

(though as it is a parallell of 'Revenge of Moctezuma' re. American tourists in Mexico, maybe it should be called 'Revenge of Sultan Mehmed' instead, dr. efx what is your professional opinion ;) )
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

efx

Post by efx » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:51 pm

Shazzer wrote:Is this what I get for forking out 1.99 for dodgy lokums? 8)
would you send me the adress where you bought it, I can't buy it at that price here.

As Hank mentioned, be on alert if you dont want to get diarrhoea ;)
fighting with hatred feeds the rich men

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:44 pm

Sweet news! :star:

Found a treasure trove of Turkish delight and halva today!
Popped by the Oriental store in Asematunneli and they had a fresh selection of all kinds of Turkish delights including the Rose lokums.

The rose lokums looked a lovely pink blush, lightly dusted with icing sugar and surely tasted a whole lot better than the orange hued ones I got on discount earlier! Grabbed a box of halva as well and I must say it was the best halva I've had! Creamy yet flaky and melts in the mouth.

They also had a selection of backlava - I remembered someone looking for some of those in this section. I didn't get those but they looked pretty good. 14 euros p/box.

Sinikala - now I know why you frequent this little store each time you're in Helsinki! It's small but chock full of goodies!

enk

Post by enk » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:03 am

TIP: The Oriental joint in Leppävaara is selling three or so different sorts of Sebahat Sembol Lokoum (250 g) for 2.99€. Fresh beyond all belief,
now I can finally understand what they were talking about in the Narnia books and why Edward would have sold his soul for some 8)

-enk

agroot

Re: Turkish Delight

Post by agroot » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:55 pm

What "Oriental" store?? I can't find that on Google Maps. Have anyone visited recently?

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:38 am

Didn't find anything. I ended up ordering them from amazon.de - turns out there are many selling Turkish desserts now and quite cheap :D

latarara

Post by latarara » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:21 pm

There is a Turkish market called Alanya Market in Itakeskus and they sell lokum. Also, you can find baklava there. They were as delicious as the ones in Turkey.