Turkish Delight

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
efx

Post by efx » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:57 pm

sammy wrote: On hindsight however this is rather something a horse might say so maybe it's best to be silent.
:smile:

fighting with hatred feeds the rich men

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Rose flavoured lokum it is then!

Besides the Oriental store in Rautatieasema (opposite Antilla mentioned by Sinikala), any other stores carrying a wide variety of Middle Eastern goods here in Helsinki? Most of the ones I know are rather small kioski selling a mixed selection of Asian products - mostly rice, Rajah paste, nuts, instant noodles and soft drinks.

Ah yes, halva :rose: I like the plain ones or the ones with cocoa stirred in. Melts in the mouth! Haven't had that in years! Thanks for reminding me.

Just out of curiousity - what do you guys buy besides Lokum from these Oriental stores? I have found the Mango Nectar from Egypt an excellent buy to make a thick, creamy mango milkshake (with generous dollops of Vanilla ice-cream from Lidl blended in). Heaven.......

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:58 pm

Shazzer wrote: Besides the Oriental store in Rautatieasema (opposite Antilla mentioned by Sinikala), any other stores carrying a wide variety of Middle Eastern goods here in Helsinki?
Jasmin is much larger.

efx

Post by efx » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:01 pm

if one (or some) of you is planning to visit here, it would be easy to arrange a helva & lokum (pronounce as if they were written in Finnish) party 8)

ImageImage
teaser pictures :)

enk

Post by enk » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:03 pm

sinikala wrote:Jasmin is much larger.
It might be larger, but the service sucks IMNSHO.

-enk

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:42 pm

efx wrote:if one (or some) of you is planning to visit here, it would be easy to arrange a helva & lokum (pronounce as if they were written in Finnish) party 8)

A helva and lokum party......... *Drooooool*...................

Aiiiieee, almost cruel to see these teaser pix at this time of the night!!! :ohno: Have to now go and raid the fridge for a midnight snack. Only coconut covered lokums waiting though...

Sweet dreams y'all! :D

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:47 pm

enk wrote:

-enk
Why what happened? I've usually gone in bought stuff & left... not really much service involved.

efx

Post by efx » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:57 pm

Shazzer wrote:
efx wrote:if one (or some) of you is planning to visit here, it would be easy to arrange a helva & lokum (pronounce as if they were written in Finnish) party 8)

A helva and lokum party......... *Drooooool*...................

Aiiiieee, almost cruel to see these teaser pix at this time of the night!!! :ohno: Have to now go and raid the fridge for a midnight snack. Only coconut covered lokums waiting though...

Sweet dreams y'all! :D
I'm proud of being in the fellowship of the sweet 8)

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:31 am

Shazzer wrote:Rose flavoured lokum it is then!

Besides the Oriental store in Rautatieasema (opposite Antilla mentioned by Sinikala), any other stores carrying a wide variety of Middle Eastern goods here in Helsinki? Most of the ones I know are rather small kioski selling a mixed selection of Asian products - mostly rice, Rajah paste, nuts, instant noodles and soft drinks.
Check out this page:

http://www.lintulaakso.net/kallionbasaari/luettelo.php

If you're looking for "oriental" food shops, then Hakaniemi is the place to go. Loads of them :wink: As sinikala said, Jasmin might be more concentrated on the Middle-Eastern/Turkish side of things.

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:37 am

sinikala wrote:
enk wrote:

-enk
Why what happened? I've usually gone in bought stuff & left... not really much service involved.
I'd go along with enk - the service is pretty bad. I don't need much help in selecting things from the shop, BUT the persons at the cashier have always been very grumpy as if they were quite bored with life (or resented selling things to a white git like me). Whereas the small shop in Rautatientori is always helpful and actually talks & smiles to you.

Not a big thing for me, but it's bad news for Jasmin as they've lost at least one customer -me- to this smaller shop.

That reminds me, the oriental shop in Myyrmanni (Zaza, on the third floor) also has got very friendly service.

enk

Post by enk » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:05 am

sammy wrote:I'd go along with enk - the service is pretty bad. I don't need much help in selecting things from the shop, BUT the persons at the cashier have always been very grumpy as if they were quite bored with life (or resented selling things to a white git like me). Whereas the small shop in Rautatientori is always helpful and actually talks & smiles to you.

Not a big thing for me, but it's bad news for Jasmin as they've lost at least one customer -me- to this smaller shop.

That reminds me, the oriental shop in Myyrmanni (Zaza, on the third floor) also has got very friendly service.
Sammy said it all. I frequent both Zaza and the one in Rautatientori
nowadays.

-enk

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:33 pm

Can't say I've ever noticed that the Jasmin one is particularly miserable, I guess I would be too if I worked in a hole in the ground with no daylight :P same conditions for the guy in Rautatientori though.

When visiting Hki I also tend to use the Rautatientori one more often, but they don't stock custard powder or jelly and that Jasmin shop does, they also carry tinned cream.

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:56 pm

Well, I don't actually boycott Jasmin either (i.e. if they stock something I can't find elsewhere I'm happy to go there) but in general, I prefer the more friendly shopkeepers of the said two smaller establishments - and thus I tend to go to either of them whenever I want to buy something -erm- Oriental :wink:

Just as not to leave the wrong impression :)

enk

Post by enk » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:54 pm

Never found anything there that I couldn't find somewhere else ;)

-enk

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:54 pm

enk wrote:Never found anything there that I couldn't find somewhere else ;)

-enk
Enk = not often found eating jelly & custard :wink: