slowcooker/pressure cooker...

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Desundial

Post by Desundial » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:51 pm

Wow! Hell finally froze over!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

posseidon

Post by posseidon » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:16 pm

Here's another. They look like some kind of dodgy Korean imports though, and they're way
overpriced.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:52 pm

posseidon wrote:Here's another. They look like some kind of dodgy Korean imports though, and they're way
overpriced.
UK prices are about €30-60. Dixons, Argos, Comet all have them but sadly I couldn't find a single UK supplier who'd deliver abroad.

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:44 pm

thanks everybody! Haudutuspata it is at the price I was expecting based on UK prices, cheers! My Finnhubby will still have no idea what I am talking about though!
Allie the Britmum, "äiti" to 3 boys, 10,9 and 7, & little princess, 4.

sammy

Post by sammy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:47 pm

oompah18 wrote:thanks everybody! Haudutuspata it is at the price I was expecting based on UK prices, cheers! My Finnhubby will still have no idea what I am talking about though!
Don't blame him for that! I haven't ever seen one either (okay I've heard the term slow cooker, but I thought it referred to a dim-witted chef)

Those haudutuspata are about as common in Finland as hot water bottles. :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:39 pm

I would have wanted to hear his thoughts on aromipesä though :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Desundial

Post by Desundial » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:32 am

sammy wrote:
Hey-help me out with that one. Sarcasim? Because when my mom was visiting in August she really needed a hot water bottle- but quite difficult to find. I kept trying to sell her on a fabric -heat up in micro-flax seed thing, but she was insistant on a hot water bottle and couldn't understand why they were so hard to find. So either they were or I went about it all wong. Sigh...I think managing my own cultural adjustments is work enough, let alone being asked to account for things to others!

mie

Post by mie » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:41 am

Hot water bottle (kuumavesipullo) can be bought at least from http://www.ea.fi. They have stores at Helsinki (Forum) and Turku.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:49 am

mie wrote:Hot water bottle (kuumavesipullo) can be bought at least from http://www.ea.fi. They have stores at Helsinki (Forum) and Turku.
We got a couple from Etola one winter when it was particulalrly cold in Hki.

enk

Post by enk » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:03 am

Anda as long as you don't mind one that looks like a teddy bear, you
should be able to find them near the band-aids in at least Prisma.

-enk

RA

Post by RA » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:48 am

But isn't a pressure cooker really a painekattila. We have them in Kuopio at Carlson and I'm pretty sure Stockmann has them and maybe Sokos(?). They're pretty pricey though.
saving chimpanzees is a big hairy deal

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:03 am

Desundial wrote:
sammy wrote:
Hey-help me out with that one. Sarcasim?
No, not trying to be sarcastic - hot water bottles, which undoubtedly are a good invention, have nevertheless not traditionally been the "thing" in Finland, as far as I know. It's been more common to build houses in a manner that makes such things unnecessary :lol: You might of course find them available somewhere, but I'd say using them is quite rare.

Hmm, on second thoughts what do I know about e.g. elderly people...?

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:10 am

sammy wrote:
Desundial wrote:
sammy wrote:
Hey-help me out with that one. Sarcasim?
No, not trying to be sarcastic - hot water bottles, which undoubtedly are a good invention, have nevertheless not traditionally been the "thing" in Finland, as far as I know. It's been more common to build houses in a manner that makes such things unnecessary :lol: You might of course find them available somewhere, but I'd say using them is quite rare.

Hmm, on second thoughts what do I know about e.g. elderly people...?
The ones we bought here were only about 50 FIM, if you buy one you'll soon find uses.

I rarely use a hot water bottle, but it has helped tremendously when I've had a sore back (damaged playing football about 10 years ago) and typically flares up after long journeys or sleeping in beds which are too soft (e.g. some hotels).

They also warm the bed nicely prior to getting in and keep feet warm once you are in. :D

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:33 am

Desundial wrote:but she was insistant on a hot water bottle and couldn't understand why they were so hard to find
Oh, we found some in the attic emptying the parents' place. Giggled ourselves silly. Museum objects.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Desundial

Post by Desundial » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:37 pm

Ah hah...just as I suspected. thanks! She thought they'd be 'round every corner.