Finnish bacon supplier

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
kiwijim

Finnish bacon supplier

Post by kiwijim » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Hei,

Where can one source good bacon from? Maybe an artisan producer etc. Finland seems to have a endless source of pork but trying to find good bacon seems hard.

I'm not looking for thin wafer cut HK American bacon either!!!

Any suggestion? I would make it myself but need a bit more space and evira to sign off production to use it commercially.

Cheers

Image Image

Finnish bacon supplier

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tjawatts

Re: Finnish bacon supplier

Post by tjawatts » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:24 pm

I would speak to these guys, they have quite a good selection of products and they do wholesale.

http://www.chef-wotkins.com/index.php?sivu=Myym%E4l%E4

Or then try the market halls with butchers either they can provide it or maybe point you in the right direction.

kiwijim

Post by kiwijim » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Cheers
Image Image

carolinemaher

Post by carolinemaher » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:37 am

I've lived here for years and haven't found quality bacon anywhere, just the thin greasy rashers that you mentioned you find in the supermarkets. I've looked in the market halls, no luck there either, I have to laugh when I see what is advertised as 'English bacon' it bears no resemblance to the thick 'back bacon' slices you find in the UK. Please do post here if you find anything resembling decent bacon!

Lord of Manchester

Post by Lord of Manchester » Sat May 25, 2013 12:00 am

tjawatts wrote:I would speak to these guys, they have quite a good selection of products and they do wholesale.

http://www.chef-wotkins.com/index.php?sivu=Myym%E4l%E4

Or then try the market halls with butchers either they can provide it or maybe point you in the right direction.

Yup ! Du ar Rätt

carolinemaher

Post by carolinemaher » Mon May 27, 2013 3:25 pm

Chef Wotkins have the same wafter thin greasy stuff too, back bacon UK style in not to be found in Helsinki

CH

Post by CH » Mon May 27, 2013 9:15 pm

I had to look it up, wtf "back bacon" is. Anyway... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_bacon to anybody else wondering, too. Apparently it's porsaankyljys and ulkofile parts (http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sianliha) used as bacon. There used at least to be something that looked similar, I think it was sold as "filee pekoni" or such, but yes, it was thin sliced.

Anyway, to quote Pursuivant... You aren't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. Back bacon is apparently a UK and descendants thingy, and this sure ain't neither. It's not what is "good" bacon, it's that your bacon is traditionally different than what we have. You probably need to ask your butcher to make or special order it for you.

carolinemaher

Post by carolinemaher » Mon May 27, 2013 10:10 pm

how does a discussion about bacon turn in to 'Your not in Kansas anymore Dorothy' ? After not being on this forum for a long time because of the often aggresive responses, I see the general mood hasn't change much. I've lived here for 7 years and I am well aware that I am in Helsinki, I love living here btw just simply saying to the original,poster that the only type of bacon to be found is very thin (back or rashers) and very fatty. Did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning? Truly amazing what some people get upset about, Get a life

kiwijim

Post by kiwijim » Mon May 27, 2013 11:03 pm

carolinemaher wrote: just simply saying to the original,poster that the only type of bacon to be found is very thin (back or rashers) and very fatty. Did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning? Truly amazing what some people get upset about, Get a life
I am well aware of the fact Finland doesn't have a fantastic food culture that I'm used too, however I don't see how sourcing information about quality products could warrant negativity?

Complaining about someones post and telling them to get a life doesn't help your view of this forum either you hypocrite.
Image Image

carolinemaher

Post by carolinemaher » Mon May 27, 2013 11:10 pm

What on earth are you going on about? I have absolutely no desire to get in to a row about bacon, goodbye

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Mon May 27, 2013 11:16 pm

DIPLOMACY MODE: ACTIVATED

carolinemaher said to CH: "I was just simply saying to the original poster that the only type of bacon to be found is very thin (back or rashers) and very fatty. Did you (CH) get out of bed ... get a life"

while kiwijim read it as "I was just simply saying to the original poster: the only type... did you get out of bed.... get a life"

MagicJ

Post by MagicJ » Tue May 28, 2013 1:34 am

I buy a 32 rasher pack from Sainsbury's everytime i'm back in the UK. Might defrost some for tomorrow. :thumbsup:
ImageImage

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue May 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Personally I prefer the streaky stuff. Nice and crispy. OK more fat but isn't that what bacon is all about? The back bacon just tastes of salt to me.

Anyway. You can't get back bacon here. The main difference between the Finnish "grey" bacon and the UK "back" bacon is a bunch of E numbers and artificial colouring and preservatives etc.

Fly SAS or Blue 1 through Copenhagen and get it at the airport (airside). Massive bumper packs which are great value for money.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue May 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Well, the trick is, you need to get the right part of the pig (from a butchers) and ask them if they can slice it for you (as they have the machinery) and it'll be thick... gammon stakes almost.

Meanwhile in the UK I go buy "offcuts" in a 500g vac-pac, freeze it and cut my own slices off it as I'm not that pissy as long as its hot and greasy on the toast :lol:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

CH

Post by CH » Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 am

carolinemaher wrote:how does a discussion about bacon turn in to 'Your not in Kansas anymore Dorothy' ?
Because "stuff that we have at home" tends to be labeled here as "good stuff" where as what we have here in Finland as "bad stuff". The OP wrote "Where can one source good bacon from? Maybe an artisan producer etc. Finland seems to have a endless source of pork but trying to find good bacon seems hard." So... the type of bacon they have at home is "good bacon" and the type of bacon we have in Finland is "bad bacon". See lots of other threads about "where can I find good sausages" or "where can I find proper cheese" (read: "like we have at home"). It gets really annoying. It works the other way around, too... Finns asking for where they can find real bread in whatever country they are (read: "rye bread, like we have at home").

The point is... different countries have different food cultures, it doesn't make one wrong just because it's different from what one is used to. And trying to find things you have at home and not finding it here... well, it might be because what you have at home isn't what the local food culture has, and it's not an indication of that the locals are total morons for not understanding that what you are used to is the only right way to go.