Saunalenkki recipe

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
wkw

Saunalenkki recipe

Post by wkw » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57 pm

Hello,
I am a new member form Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

I am hoping that someone can help me track down a recipe to make my own saunalenkki sausage. My wife and her family are Finnish and I cannot locate it anywhere in western Canada but with a reciope I can make my own. My wife reads Finnish so a recipe can be in Finnish.

Thanks for your help.

Ken
Calgary

Saunalenkki recipe

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

CH

Re: Saunalenkki recipe

Post by CH » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Well... saunalenkki is just a lenkkimakkara (link sausage), which is more or less the cheapest sausage, the consistency is a bit like bologna sausage. So anything you make yourself is a bit too fancy for saunalenkki. But here is a nice looking one with the ingredient list. I found this recipe in Finnish, but the consistency looks too grainy to me. The consistency in this Swedish Falukorv recipe looks more like it (Falukorv is similar to lenkkimakkara).

Suomikauppa.fi seems to have Finnish grill sausage, that isn't the same as lenkkimakkara, but pretty close. Add this to your shopping basket while you are there for an authentic saunalenkki experience.

Hmm... Knackwurst seems to be pretty close in appearance (and this page says it's the closest relative to nakkimakkara, which is kind of a thin version of lenkkimakkara). That should be easier to find, I assume, and might be close enough to satisfy saunalenkki needs. Add just one sauna, some beer, and use for instance this recipe.

wkw

Re: Saunalenkki recipe

Post by wkw » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks CH!