Shabu-shabu / hot pot?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
agroot

Shabu-shabu / hot pot?

Post by agroot » Sat May 11, 2019 11:41 pm

been trying to cook and I'm very confused. Why is there only a single brand of bacon and available in tiny bags? I thought it's popular everyday food and should be consumed half kilogram a meal!

Back to topic, anyone know where to get shabu-shabu / hot-pot things?
  • chopsticks with the "rest". Korean type preferred. The WMF set on amazon.de is no more :(
  • thin sliced beef or pork. The sort that is packaged but not salted or anything. Usual beef is a bit sour and I dunno how to cut it for hot pot (need specialized machine?).
  • fat beef or fat pork. Not in garbage dump I hope! Those are super tasty!
  • The last is an induction hob with low temperature control, not 80-100C but like 70C, 75C etc. I have the common kind, no good for keeping hot pot warm (anything above 80C ruins beef).
BTW how come onions and garlic are not always in supermarket? showed up once then gone, ... Are there substitutes? :roll:

Shabu-shabu / hot pot?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

masao

Re: Shabu-shabu / hot pot?

Post by masao » Fri May 17, 2019 7:38 pm

agroot wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:41 pm
been trying to cook and I'm very confused. Why is there only a single brand of bacon and available in tiny bags? I thought it's popular everyday food and should be consumed half kilogram a meal!

Back to topic, anyone know where to get shabu-shabu / hot-pot things?
  • chopsticks with the "rest". Korean type preferred. The WMF set on amazon.de is no more :(
  • thin sliced beef or pork. The sort that is packaged but not salted or anything. Usual beef is a bit sour and I dunno how to cut it for hot pot (need specialized machine?).
  • fat beef or fat pork. Not in garbage dump I hope! Those are super tasty!
  • The last is an induction hob with low temperature control, not 80-100C but like 70C, 75C etc. I have the common kind, no good for keeping hot pot warm (anything above 80C ruins beef).
BTW how come onions and garlic are not always in supermarket? showed up once then gone, ... Are there substitutes? :roll:
Hi.
Firstly pork is used for shabu shabu and beef is for sukiyaki.
When we cook shabu shabu at home, we buy ordinary bacon for breakfast use. They are thin enough and fat gives additional taste.
Other material can be purchased at an Asian shop in Hakaniemi, Helsinki. Tofu is very nice addition, too.
We use normal Tefal frying pan and OBH portable induction cooking plate. Let the water boil and start cooking.

What do you mean that you cannot find onions and garlic?! I can find them OK.

t, masao
Bone, Thugs, 'n' Harmony

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri May 24, 2019 5:45 am

Bacon in shabu-shabu!? :D Do you just heat it until it becomes curve?

I found onion and garlic in the bigger supermarkets :)

masao wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:38 pm
We have the opposite!

Fat beef tastes better fresh and half-raw, often without sauce. And very fat pork is used in sukiyaki.

masao

Post by masao » Mon May 27, 2019 9:37 pm

agroot wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:45 am
Bacon in shabu-shabu!? :D Do you just heat it until it becomes curve?

I found onion and garlic in the bigger supermarkets :)

masao wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:38 pm
We have the opposite!

Fat beef tastes better fresh and half-raw, often without sauce. And very fat pork is used in sukiyaki.
Hi.
In both dishes, very thin meat is used, so that they are cooked in hot water (80c, after boiling it with dried seaweed to give taste and adding
sake and removing the used seaweed (ShabuShabu). They are cooked in the special liemi with sake and dipped into raw egg (Sukiyaki)

If I bother, I freeze the meat and slice them thin, and defrost them and start cooking.
Of course you can do anything and eat anything you like.

t, masao
Bone, Thugs, 'n' Harmony