Making Friends in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
ElleWhilde

Post by ElleWhilde » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:09 am

Moikka!

I live in the U.S, but I am currently learning Finnish and I thought it would be a good idea to use a language learning app that allows you to improve your speaking skills with people across the globe. The only problem is that I am having a hard time getting anyone from Finland to respond to my offers for a conversation. I have often heard of Finns being naturally reserved and closed off, but I am wondering if there is something I can do engage them in conversation more, or is this cultural where I have wait for them to open up?

Kiitos!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Making Friends in Finland

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:06 am

From time to time there are questions/conversation threads about how to make friends in Finland. My suggestion is to try to find like-minded people sharing similar interests, whether it's computer gaming, cars, gardening, fitness,.. on internet forums, in (physical) places and events where those people gather together, and go on from there. Maybe the same could work also in language learning context. It might be difficult to get a "random" person to tutor a complete stranger, but if there's a shared interest, a Finnish-speaker probably wouldn't mind talking about it in Finnish.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:28 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:06 am
From time to time there are questions/conversation threads about how to make friends in Finland. My suggestion is to try to find like-minded people sharing similar interests, whether it's computer gaming, cars, gardening, fitness,.. on internet forums, in (physical) places and events where those people gather together, and go on from there.
You missed the problem:
ElleWhilde wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:09 am
I live in the U.S,

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:48 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:28 pm
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
From time to time there are questions/conversation threads about how to make friends in Finland. My suggestion is to try to find like-minded people sharing similar interests, whether it's computer gaming, cars, gardening, fitness,.. on internet forums, in (physical) places and events where those people gather together, and go on from there.
You missed the problem:
ElleWhilde wrote:
I live in the U.S,
One can join Internet forums from there, too.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:15 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:48 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:28 pm
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
You missed the problem:
ElleWhilde wrote:
I live in the U.S,
One can join Internet forums from there, too.
Doing conversation with a language learner/beginner is quite some effort, this is not something people are doing regularly without getting something in exchange (e.g. money).
Below the level where proper conversation is possible this is a variant of a language course.

The most common setting in Finland are language cafes where several learners are talking with each other.
An online study group with other people in the US would be the online variant of that.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:24 pm

ElleWhilde wrote:
The only problem is that I am having a hard time getting anyone from Finland to respond to my offers for a conversation. I have often heard of Finns being naturally reserved and closed off, but I am wondering if there is something I can do engage them in conversation more, or is this cultural where I have wait for them to open up?
How would you react if a person from China with beginner level English skills would offer you a conversation?