Vegetable garde

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
helenaduffy

Vegetable garde

Post by helenaduffy » Thu May 21, 2020 10:26 am

I have set up a vegetable garden in Turku and now I have some baby tomato and courgette plants that I have grown myself on a window sill. Could someone advise when I can transfer them outdoors? My next door neighbour potted out tomato seedlings last June, but they died. I need to point out that the garden is East facing and rather sheltered, but tall pine trees beyond the garden fence cut the sun out around lunchtime. I will be grateful for all tips.

Vegetable garde

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

valarieeverettbe

Re: Vegetable garde

Post by valarieeverettbe » Sun May 22, 2022 6:23 am

helenaduffy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:26 am
I have set up a vegetable garden in Turku and now I have some baby tomato and courgette plants that I have grown myself on a window sill. Could someone advise when I can transfer them outdoors? My next door neighbour potted out tomato seedlings last June, but they died. I need to point out that the garden is East facing and rather sheltered, but tall pine trees beyond the garden fence cut the sun out around lunchtime. I will be grateful for all tips.
Been doing this when I am in the province. What I did is if the roots are already matured, you can transfer them outdoors. learn more

TSharp

Post by TSharp » Mon May 23, 2022 8:21 pm

If you continue trouble with tomato plants, I used to grow cherry tomatoes as a kid, and those were able to produce fruits from a small windowsill setup. Just a thought if you're unable to grow these as well.

Have you tried asking the neighbor about when they transferred their plants, and maybe where they went wrong?

StellaS

Post by StellaS » Wed May 25, 2022 5:33 am

Usually it’s safe to move the plants out permanently around June 10th. Before that the nights might be too cold for the plants. Now you should take them out for some time every day to get used to the conditions outdoors, but take them back inside for the night.