Leather Sofa Problem - Help!

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Deman

Post by Deman » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:38 pm

Right. Our little two-year old daughter thought it might be a good idea that our beige coloured leather sofa would look better if it were decorated with a blue ballpoint pen scribble. Soapy water doesn't work, white spirits doesn't either. What else can I try without destroying the leather? :evil:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:25 pm

Ouch... let me think now... lemon juice? thats for regular ink. go to a furniture store and ask. They'd know.

One more reason you can order a sofa in any color but ist ought to be delivered in black..
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Deman

Post by Deman » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:14 pm

Actually when we moved here in '98 we bought a used black leather sofa. I don't know why we got rid of it. The wife thought it was too dreary as far as I remember. But it was a hell of a lot easier to keep clean. Thanks for the lemon suggestion. There's some in the kitchen for the pancakes (unheard of in Finland but the kids love it).

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:21 pm

Well, I eat blood pudding and pancakes with strawberry jam, so weird combinations aren't unheard of. I get stared at gobbling my 'mustamakkara' as usually people opt for lingonberries, which I hate adamantly.

It is better not to try too much. Is the art on the seat or on the back? maybe you can get it framed and sell to some bored tycoon :mrgreen: ...no really, I'd go ask in a furniture store, leather store or even a shoesmiths.

One thing for sure, ballpoint ink is the most impossible stuff to get off.

On the bright side of things, now that the sofa is "broken in" you need not worry letting the dog/ your shoes/ drunk people with red wine glasses on it :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Deman

Post by Deman » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:13 am

The artwork is on the seat and the lemon juice didn't work.

Don't have a dog, don't wear shoes in the house (this is Finland remember) and I don't like red wine. But there are three kids.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:02 am

Deman, do not despair. This happened to us many years ago. Fortunately it was the neighbour's kid not ours, or I'd be writing this from my cell, but we sent the cushion back to the manufacturer (was kind of lucky that that sofa had removable seat cushions) and they performed some magic on it and the marks vanished.

So contact the place where you bought it (always assuming it wasn't the Sally-Ann Store), and they'll probably take it from there. Prolly the more you rub it with stuff, the more damage you will do.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:57 am

Extract from an old readers digest. Strain removal tips.
Ball point pen. First try warm soapy water and a nail brush if that fails. Try
Methylated spirts but use with care on cotton wool bud, but first test on an area that is not visible to make sure material is not affected by meths.
Take great care not to spread the stain.
If the area of stain is large seek profesional help.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:10 pm

I think you should just leave the graffiti on there. Some day when your little one is famous, the sofa will be very valuable. I'm serious.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Remembah whea ya pahked ya cah!

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:05 am

You probably can't get it here but if you know someone going to Britain soon ask them to bring back a 'Stain Devil'. You can get them in any ironmongers and some supermarkets. These are little tubes with stain remover inside. There are different varieties for different types of stains.
I've used them before and had good results.
Julie.

daive

Post by daive » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:21 am

Julie wrote:You probably can't get it here but if you know someone going to Britain soon ask them to bring back a 'Stain Devil'. You can get them in any ironmongers and some supermarkets. These are little tubes with stain remover inside. There are different varieties for different types of stains.
I've used them before and had good results.
Julie.
I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of Stain Devils, They have many different types on offer, there is one specifically for ball point pens and markers. I happen to be very good friends with the guy who owns the company, so I am totally unbiased!! :lol:

Deman

Post by Deman » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:01 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice. Unfortunately they're not removeable seats. And I've tried the Reader's Digest tip to no avail. Maybe my daughter will be famous one day and the sofa worth a fortune. But then again, maybe I'll discover a new way of removing ink and become a millionaire myself. :wink:

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:55 pm

We visited the home of Maippi's sister...she has a small daughter and a leather sofa also..I noticed that their sofa has a very nice matching colour knitted rug stretched over the seat..rather like what on would use to proect it if there was a cat or dog liable to jump onto it. But they have no pets!!
So I asked.. "nice rug by why cover the leather sofa?" Sheepish look from small daughter as mother looks at her and lifts corner of the rug to reveal..in biro "minä rakastan äitiä"... :roll:
Could be a large market in a suitable stain remover!

Deman

Post by Deman » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:46 pm

LOL :ochesey: Maybe we have to buy a rug!

sayx

Post by sayx » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:47 am

try nail polish remover but TEST IT FIRST in a hidden place on the couch. sofa is only used for Sweater Over Fat Ass

shazman

Post by shazman » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:54 pm

Get her to finish the job, so the whole sofa is covered...and voila! you have a 'new' sofa

:wink:
Image Image Anteeksi, olen ulkomalainen!