What to get the parents...

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Mikie

Post by Mikie » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:47 am

Hello everybody, I'm not sure I fully fit in here with you, but I have had a chance to read through here and learned quite a bit. I'm an American with no plans on moving to Finland in the permanent sense, but rather am dating a Finnish girl who will be joining me here in NY. My question is this: I am traveling to Helsinki in a few weeks to meet her parents for the first time, and want to make a good impression. Is there a traditional gift to give the parents, or is there something that is not easily obtained in Finland that is more plentiful in the states?

I also am attempting to learn the language as well, but am finding it extrememly difficult considering there is NO schools in the area that I can find that teaches Finnish. I am forced to do it solo. Does anybody know of someone stateside that would be interested in tutoring? Or of a school that is here? I have already started the Learn Finnish, but I am looking for something a bit more comprehensive.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

daive

Re: What to get the parents...

Post by daive » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:47 am

Wile E wrote:Hello everybody, I'm not sure I fully fit in here with you, but I have had a chance to read through here and learned quite a bit. I'm an American with no plans on moving to Finland in the permanent sense, but rather am dating a Finnish girl who will be joining me here in NY. My question is this: I am traveling to Helsinki in a few weeks to meet her parents for the first time, and want to make a good impression. Is there a traditional gift to give the parents, or is there something that is not easily obtained in Finland that is more plentiful in the states?

I also am attempting to learn the language as well, but am finding it extrememly difficult considering there is NO schools in the area that I can find that teaches Finnish. I am forced to do it solo. Does anybody know of someone stateside that would be interested in tutoring? Or of a school that is here? I have already started the Learn Finnish, but I am looking for something a bit more comprehensive.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Take them a christmas pudding, you don't really get them here and they will think you are very thoughtful as it will take them about a month and a half to eat it as it is quite rich food for the finnish palate. I can remember my father in law watching in horror as I poured half a bottle of his best brandy over the pudding and then set it alight! :lol:

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:34 am

Christmas Pudding..i.e Plum Pudding... :roll: Not sure that it would be my choice to impress her folk..Daive would like it if they throw it out. :wink:
Take into account they may not be happy that you are dragging their daughter off to the USA.
Anja what was your parents reaction when Phil did that to you, or did they know that you had a scheme to drag him back here?

You need to bring something easy to carry.
My suggestion would be some small art or craft work that they could display. Discuss with your girl friend about their taste and styles.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:47 am

Yes, don't bring coffee, bananas and toilet paper. The pudding would make a nice doorstop though. :mrgreen:

There's courses in NY - atleast in NYC!? Theres a professor seat of Finnish in Columbia University?! http://www.ce.columbia.edu/courses/germanic.shtml

these guys might know something too:
http://www.finnchurchny.org/
http://finnurban.net/
http://www.finlandcenter.org/
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:45 pm

Hank W. wrote:
There's courses in NY - atleast in NYC!?
You would think. I have contacted quite a few different universities and known language courses but there is little to no demand for it. Universities that used to offer it, have thusly canceled programs due to lack of attendance. That Columbia link you sent me seems promising, as I have e-mailed the person heading it, but that page only shows outdated courses, from 2000-2001. So I am afraid the same is true. I have also emailed people at the finland center and emailed as many administrators of yahoo finnish groups as I could find. Its been a bit surprising to say the least. But thank you for the links, that Urban one is new to me. I'm going to have to look into that a bit more in-depth.

Thank you for the suggestions so far. Not sure I want to attempt to bring perishables over, but am wanting to bring them something. As far as me dragging her to the USA, theres no hard feelings there, they are quite happy with her decision. They travel to NY quite a bit for work so we'll still be seeing them quite often as we'll be keeping an apartment in Helsinki as well.

Any other thoughts?

zmt

Post by zmt » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:37 pm

Bring SOMETHING WITH ALCOHOL; no mather what they will pour it down happily! :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:32 pm

Theres our friend 'mattz' who hails from NYC - check if you can find his email on his profile. He's been in the circles a bit more. He might know something. There was someone asking this on the finland.org BBS (the embassy in Washington) but the website got overrun by Chinese forged products and non-woven products and whatnot and been down a fortnight by now...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

gavin

Post by gavin » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:41 pm

zmt wrote:Bring SOMETHING WITH ALCOHOL; no mather what they will pour it down happily! :lol:
I'd have to second that. A bottle of anything between 22-60% alcohol by volume will bring a smile to most Finns.

If you bring something 60-100% they'll probably force you to get married the following week :wink:

Cheers
Gavin

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:33 pm

For Finnish there is also the online lessons here. See "The pub" section.

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:01 am

gavin wrote:
zmt wrote:Bring SOMETHING WITH ALCOHOL; no mather what they will pour it down happily! :lol:
I'd have to second that. A bottle of anything between 22-60% alcohol by volume will bring a smile to most Finns.

If you bring something 60-100% they'll probably force you to get married the following week :wink:

Cheers
Gavin
As I showed this to my girlfriend she was overcome with laughter. :lol: and after a little hesitation, could not deny this. So I think a nice Cognac for her father, but I am still a bit unsure about the mother. I do appreciate the suggestions guys, it has been most helpful.

I think I will drop Mattz an e-mail this evening, hopefully he might be able to shed a bit of light on the issue. Thanx again Hank.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:30 pm

Wile E wrote:[ So I think a nice Cognac for her father, but I am still a bit unsure about the mother. .
Uhuum..It has been known.. :roll: on a few rare occasions. :wink: .. that Finnish women also enjoy a Cognac, .. :roll: Just for medicinal purpose you know :wink: :wink:
How about a PAIR of nice crystal goblets..I dont think äiti will be using them as flower vases :roll:

Deman

Post by Deman » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:06 pm

A bottle of Jack Daniels for him, if he drinks. Well, it's American isn't it.

For her, Hmmm, let me think about that.

timekiller

Post by timekiller » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:01 am

A nice large box of choccies (candy), made by an American company for the Mum. The sort that takes 2 weeks to finish off because they're quite rich tasting. I'm sure she'd love them, unless she's diabetic of course!

It also gives them a chance to share their gifts if you do get the Dad a bottle of something.
I think, therefore I'm not drunk!

Mai

Post by Mai » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:29 pm

Few bottles of nice quality wine worked for my parents :D

If you want to play safe don't buy anything 'kitchen related' to mother. If you want to buy gobblets with the whiskey then pack them together and give as jointed gift to both of them.

Geri Bush

Gift

Post by Geri Bush » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:32 pm

My folks visited this summer and brought my in-laws 1,75l sized Jack Daniels and Kuluha. The Jack lasted about 25 minutes and the Kuluha a bit longer.

I say a nice bottle of something is a winner!