How much does a baby "cost" in Finland? :?:

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Olga

Post by Olga » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:45 pm

All righty, I just wonder, how much young families spend on their darling in Finland in a month?

Do you know occasionally or on your own experience, what´s the cost of all that diapers, purees, medicines, clothes and so on? If yes, could you quote in this post, also with the age of a baby.

(we are getting started :))

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:23 am

Hope you dont mind Olga.. I moved this to "Families" section seems a nice topic to start off this new section.
Last edited by PeterF on Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:27 am

Congrats Olga on making the first post in our new families forum!! :o

Tom and Jerry

Re: How much does a baby "cost" in Finland? :?:

Post by Tom and Jerry » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:13 pm

Olga wrote:All righty, I just wonder, how much young families spend on their darling in Finland in a month?

I forgot, but it was a lot. No money left for extra, that is what I remember. Something like 200 - 300 euro a month extra, if they are young and it increases with age?????

You may ask this question in English at this group:

http://www.vauva-lehti.fi/keskustele

And see what replies you get.

sds

Post by sds » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:47 pm

At 1 years old, say €100 for nappies and food per month. Depending - cheaper to cook your own food than to buy jars.

Then clothes and toys are on top. Buy clothes at the kirpputori if you can. Try to buy shoes in supermarkets, citymarket has good brands for instance. If not, shoe shops can charge over €50 for a pair.

Stephen.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:44 pm

Taxpayers Association laments tax burden of families with children
http://www.helsinki-hs.net/news.asp?id=20030930IE6
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Cory

Re: How much does a baby "cost" in Finland? :?:

Post by Cory » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:42 pm

The cost depends upon the family most often. If one is willing to make the baby's food, buy clothing and toys at the 2nd hand shops, and hand wash the diapers, a baby need not be all that expensive. If, however, you are not into making the food, you use disposables and the clothes need to be new then it's gonna cost.

For a 6 mth -1.5 yr old, who's no longer breast-feeding...diapers would be about 40-60 euros/mth, jarred food and formula about 150/mth , clothes 40-100/mth.

Our little people are not cheap but they certainly are worth it! :)

Cory

Helmi

Post by Helmi » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:00 pm

As a divorced mother of 3 sons and 3 daughters ranging from 22 - 11 years old, (all from the same father, I hasten to add!), it has cost me nearly £350k to bring up my children up to this point in time.

No wonder I have to work full-time!

If I had used disposable nappies and formula milk instead of what mother nature provided, I dread to think of the cost.

But as previously pointed out by Cory, they are worth every single penny and there are just some things in life that you cannot put a price on.

I'm just waiting for my time to come when I can relax and enjoy some of the fruits of my labours (so to speak).

:)
Helvete också, nu regnar det igen!

ImageImage