English only to daughter, judge orders

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:51 pm

By Associated Press

PAPILLION, Neb. -- A Hispanic man who spoke to his 5-year-old daughter in Spanish has been ordered to use primarily English around the girl as a condition of his visitation rights.

Sarpy County Judge Ronald E. Reagan said the child does not understand Spanish, and her father should speak to her in the language she knows.

Eloy Amador, who was released from jail seven months ago after serving a five-year sentence for drug possession, told the judge that he spoke Spanish to the girl to share his culture, not to force a language on her.

"I don't come to her speaking in Spanish, but there are times where I try to teach her what hair is in Spanish, what hand is, stuff like that," Amador said during a Sept. 15 hearing on visitation.

The judge did not oppose such instruction, but said the rest of the communication should be in English for the sake of the girl's education.

"The principal form of communication during the periods of visitation is going to be English," Reagan said. "That does not mean that you can't instruct and teach her the Hispanic language."

The ruling was a victory for the girl's mother, Michaela Krayneski, who requested that Amador speak English as a condition of visitation.

Calls to Krayneski's lawyer were not returned Tuesday.

Amador's attorney, John Allen Sellers, said he was surprised that the judge "would consider a restraint such as this based on racial or cultural differences of the parents."

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413 ... 42,00.html

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

brendan_uk

Post by brendan_uk » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:27 pm

Racism via the backdoor

Geri Bush

Post by Geri Bush » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:59 pm

Ohhhh the open minds of my home state. Hmmmm. Maybe that's why I don't live there any more. :?

Go Big Red Nebraska!?

kultary

Post by kultary » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:58 pm

Bunk! Must just be the greater Omaha area.

Those of us from Lincoln are much more progressive.

Go Huskers!

- Ryan

roopemills

Post by roopemills » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:40 pm

Things like that really irritate me and make me embarassed of my homeland. I can't imagine a case like that making it into the courts over here.

The girl's mother probably didn't like the idea of father and daughter being able to discuss things in a language she couldn't understand. In other words, she did it for herself and not her daughter. Anyone can see that the girl only stood to gain from learning her father's language and culture.

What if the girl's mother only spoke Polish to her daughter and that's the only language little girl spoke? Would Eloy be forced to speak Polish to communicate with his daughter because "that's the language she knows"? Somehow I doubt it. Judge Ronnie would have said "You folks are in the good old U.S. of A now. The only language your little girl ever needs to know is American!" :?

I hope Eloy is able to appeal Judge Ronnie's poor ruling...

Donald

Post by Donald » Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:42 pm

roopemills wrote:Things like that really irritate me and make me embarassed of my homeland. I can't imagine a case like that making it into the courts over here.

The girl's mother probably didn't like the idea of father and daughter being able to discuss things in a language she couldn't understand. In other words, she did it for herself and not her daughter. Anyone can see that the girl only stood to gain from learning her father's language and culture.

What if the girl's mother only spoke Polish to her daughter and that's the only language little girl spoke? Would Eloy be forced to speak Polish to communicate with his daughter because "that's the language she knows"? Somehow I doubt it. Judge Ronnie would have said "You folks are in the good old U.S. of A now. The only language your little girl ever needs to know is American!" :?

I hope Eloy is able to appeal Judge Ronnie's poor ruling...
There's no language called American. This case will be overturned on appeal at some point. 1) Father has parental rights 2) English is not the official language. There are no official languages in the USA 3) Child has a right to be exposed to her parents' languages and culture. :wink:

roopemills

Post by roopemills » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:46 pm

Obviously there's no language called American. It was a joke to illustrate the judge's Narrow-mindedness. I didn't expect anyone to take that bit seriously. :?

brendan_uk

Post by brendan_uk » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:30 pm

Isnt their something going to the supreme court basically stating that "english" is the official language or at least a test case.

My memory is a bit hazy but I think I remember a programme highlighting the case of a group of spanish producton line workers, who talked spanish to each other for general chat. Their boss didnt like this and sacked them, basically saying "speak english boy!" :?

Both sides are fighting it and I think its along drawn out affair

shazman

Post by shazman » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:54 pm

I think thats a big thing in America, "let the courts decide because we arent able to agree a compromise" its childish and when you think that instead of talking to your ex-partner - you let some 50 year old guy decide whats best for you or your children (that is so wrong on so many levels!!!!!!)
Image Image Anteeksi, olen ulkomalainen!