Being pregnant in Finland - experiences

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:28 am

Really sorry to hear that, more big, virtual hugs for you, take care,
Allie

Allie the Britmum, "äiti" to 3 boys, 10,9 and 7, & little princess, 4.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Gigi

Post by Gigi » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:09 pm

Oh Amandine, I am so sorry for you! Also a big hug from me!
And indeed, hopefully we can all bring some happy news to this forum very soon! But first take good care of yourself!

Bella

Post by Bella » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:41 am

I'm so sorry for you Amandine. Don't lose your faith. When I was in hospital one woman from there told me that she tried 4 times but she will not give up. She had faith that in one day she will be mother.
Big hugs from me. Take care of you now and think positive.
Bella

cuffdomini

Post by cuffdomini » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:40 pm

SOME SORROWS OVER HERE TOO...I AM MOVING TO FINLAND IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS N I AM 4 MONTHS PREGNANT. I WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE WITH A MIDWIFE OVER THER, IM MOVING FROM THE STATES. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ANSWERS ON WHAT I SHOULD DO AS SOON AS I GET TO FINLAND. MY FIANCE IS WORKING THERE NOW N WE PLAN TO GET MARRIED AS SOON AS I GET THERE SO I CAN BE ON HIS WORKING VISA. ALSO, WHERE CAN WE GET MARRIED. HE'S IN VAASA FINLAND...HELP!!!

EP

Post by EP » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:42 am

Cuffdomini, every pregnant woman in Finland has her own "neuvola" (place of advice) where she meets a midwife (and a doctor for a couple of times) during her pregnancy. Everything happens there, and you can ask all the questions you need to ask. When you are in Vaasa you just have to find out where the nearest "neuvola" is, and then go there. It doesn´t cost.

raamv

Post by raamv » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:35 pm

cuffdomini wrote:SOME SORROWS OVER HERE TOO...I AM MOVING TO FINLAND IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS N I AM 4 MONTHS PREGNANT. I WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE WITH A MIDWIFE OVER THER, IM MOVING FROM THE STATES. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ANSWERS ON WHAT I SHOULD DO AS SOON AS I GET TO FINLAND. MY FIANCE IS WORKING THERE NOW N WE PLAN TO GET MARRIED AS SOON AS I GET THERE SO I CAN BE ON HIS WORKING VISA. ALSO, WHERE CAN WE GET MARRIED. HE'S IN VAASA FINLAND...HELP!!!
I am confused...didnt you mention that you were gonna give birth at jorvi??
Anyways, for marriage, its better that you know the rules here:
It can be found from http://www.maistraatti.fi/en/index.html . This is also where you register so that you can be in the system ( from healthcare to everything )
The info for marriage: http://www.maistraatti.fi/en/frameset/f ... iminen.htm

Remember this:
Investigation of impediments to marriage

Prior to a marriage, potential reasons preventing the marriage are investigated. The purpose of investigating the potential reasons for preventing a marriage is to ensure that there is nothing preventing the marriage. The investigation can be carried out either by the registry or the Evangelical Lutheran Church or the Orthodox Church to which at least one of the potential spouses belongs. The investigation request must be presented in writing. The Investigation Request Form is available from the registry. The certificate of the investigation of the impediments to marriage are returned no earlier than seven days from the date upon which the request was submitted. The certificate is valid for a period of four months. The certificate must be left at the local register office prior to the marriage.
So do get a certificate of non-impediment from there before you come to Finland.
Also, Depending on where you re gonna give birth ( jorvi or somewhere close to Vaasa), find out thelocal contact information for a centre called Neuvola and contact them ahead of time so that they ll inform the correct organization(KELA) to send the maternity package which is one of the most useful "Free" gifts that you can get from the Government.

cuffdomini

Post by cuffdomini » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:49 pm

WELL I DONT KNOW WHAT HOSPITAL YET..IM STILL IN THE STATES BUT MY FIANCE IS THERE IN FINLAND, BUT HE KNOWSS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, AND HE'S TELLING ME TO WAIT UNTIL I GET THERE BUT I WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING BEFORE I COME JUST IN CASE THERE'S SOMETHING I NEED!! THANX FOR ALL THE INFO. IVE BEEN LEARNING FINNISH SO THAT WOULD BE, KIITOS!!!!

Sara

Post by Sara » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:04 pm

2 suggestions

a) stop typing in capitals - its harder to read and equates to shouting.

b) start your own thread instead of jumping on several. Write out exactly what you want to know about the hospitals, healthcare system etc so we can help proberly rather than bits all over the place.

You dont need anything to get here so stop panicking. We can help you with the rest.

cuffdomini

Post by cuffdomini » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:09 pm

sorry about the caps, i use to it and didnt know it made a diffrence. and with my own post, i really didnt have all my questions together to start one. but thanx for informing me on my wrong doings!! so im going to start my own, look for me!!!

Bella

Post by Bella » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi mums!
I have some questions. I'm pregnant, 10 weeks, I wasn't to neuvola yet because I don't know what to do. I'm register at unemployement office. and I get some money from Kela because I study 20 h/week. My questions are: If I ask for package from kela they will give me even if I have another help from them?
What exactly is that package from Kela? And when they start to give you that package and for how long?
If I go to neuvola, and neuvola will send the paper to Kela I have to cancel the contract with unemployment office?
Does anyone knows something about this?

Thank's for help.

Sara

Post by Sara » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:32 pm

Kela is also in English

http://www.kela.fi/in/internet/english. ... enDocument

Firstly get a neuvola appoinment, it has no effect on any unemployment benefits - its just healthcare. Plus you are due a ultrasound scan in 2 weeks which you need a hospital appointment for which can only be arranged once you have been at neuvola.

Kela give mothers either a small amount of money or a baby pack. The pack is good as it contains lots of clothes, duvet, sheets etc. But you cant even apply for that until you are much further in the pregnancy.

Kela also give maternity money which starts 50 or 30 days before your due date. If you havent been working at all, I assume you will be given the minimum amount, but you need to check that yourself with kela.

Basically as far as I know, nothing changing for now. Later in the pregnancy neuvola will give you a certificate to prove you are pregnant. At that point go to Kela and see what the deal is. Nothing will change before that.

raamv

Post by raamv » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:11 am

Bella wrote: If I go to neuvola, and neuvola will send the paper to Kela I have to cancel the contract with unemployment office?
They are not related in that way. Neuvola send papers to KELA regarding sending you either pregnancy money or a pregnancy-package(or kit).
KELA determines that you are pregnant from such and such a date..
then YOU go to the unemplyment office to inform them that YOU are on "maternity leave "from such and such date ( NEUVOLA will give you a paper/form that tells you this)

Bella

Post by Bella » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:57 am

Thanks for your help and advice.
One of my friend help me very much. I copy here what she wrote me. The answers are directly from employment office. Maybe this can help some else too.
KELA and the employment office are working together and the pregnancy
and maternity leave are totally normal happenings in their system. The
employment office told that you will get money and courses from them
until you will start your maternity leave. If you wouldn't be able to
study because of your pregnancy (feeling ill, tired etc.) you would
get
some certificate from the doctor (neuvola) for a sick leave and they
would accept it. The official information will come
from KELA to them.

Amandine how are you?
You didn't wrote anything from that date. I hope you are doing well. I give you a big hug and all the best for you.

Thanks again for your help.

Amandine.K

Post by Amandine.K » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:07 am

I'm fine. I had every single complication one can have with a miscarriage but it seems to e behind us now. We're looking forward to try again and have a successful pregnancy. Hopefully that'll be my Christmas present this year :) I'm not posting more as I am in a rush to do my missing credits to graduate, I'll have much more time from end of November that's for sure! :lol:

sinti

Post by sinti » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:18 am

Hello all,
To break this silance on this topic ...

Is there anyone going to apply for Kela package very soon?
Probably you know when they are changing the package to the new one? Do they do it also when the year ends or when they run out of all last year's packages.
Just curious of all the colours and things that will be changed there. As the one package before the current was in so blue colours.

We are due at the end of March but can apply for it already next month. Wondering if to wait for new one or not.

Wishing all lovely and sunny day :)