Being pregnant in Finland - experiences

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
tunkkari

Re: Being pregnant in Finland - experiences

Post by tunkkari » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:55 pm

yeah I felt a bit like that too especially coming from a nursing background myself, they were good still and I was well taken care of but unlike how i was taught i found they didnt see the patient just a body so to speak. I noticed too that there was no vit K given here to either of us, in the uk if you breastfeed baby gets it via drops and mother gets it or something like that in the thigh as the placenta is delivered to help with the bleeding. I have to say tho that didnt really make any difference to me at all and i and baby never suffered for the lack of it.
Last edited by tunkkari on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

santtu1979

Post by santtu1979 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:57 pm

That´s what you wrote me about Oulu it really scared me...I am at 7 weeks and I will get appointment in Neuvola on 15.10. Does anybody have a nice experience here in Oulu about pregnancy?????????????? :?

tunkkari

Post by tunkkari » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:17 pm

I think you will be fine, i didnt have mine in oulu but in kokkola and only had experience from 7 months on of the ante natal care and the actual birth here. I found their was differences from having my kids here and in the uk but i survived still and it wasnt so bad, only real thing i would have like different was pethadine lol but i can also fully understand why they dont use it here too.

Gigi

Post by Gigi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:25 pm

Indeed don't panic.

As far as my experiences go, you have to just ask for things and speak up for yourself. I have had some less friendly nurses and doctors here, but overall it has been great. And the information I didn't get from my äitiysneuvola, I searched for myself. I think there are mothergroups in almost every big town and they can help you or join some pre-natal gym class and be brave enough to start talking to the other moms.

And remember things are different, but just different. I understand that at moments like these you might miss your homeculture which is well-know to you... But again the numbers concerning childdeath and death at birth are really low here, so they do know what they are doing.

And on a personal note: I think your own attitude towards things affect a lot on your experiences.

tunkkari

Post by tunkkari » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:53 pm

I agree you do need to speak up for yourself if your unhappy with anything and ask if your unsure, I found that easy since I was used to working with drs I dont see them as anything scary. They are well trained but just people at the end of the day there with your best interests in mind.

jen

Post by jen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:44 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound so bad. My Neovola nurse was lovely, she was very friendly and her english is excelent. The one that was refusing to give out details was her substitute while the regular nurse was on holiday. In the hospital I did manage to get most things my way, I just had to stand up for myself and be a bit of a pushy foreigner. I was also prepared with my own birthplan. If you have a longer labour than me you will have time to go through it with the attending midwife, I was only in labour at the hospital for less than 20 mins so there wasn't much chance for that. I had to count on my husband to speak up for me and tell them what I wanted and didn't want. The vitamin K thing was the only thing which was ignored, and there is a possibility that that was due to miscommunication between midwives.

one thing I will suggest if language may be an issue for you is to request that there are no students present during examinations, labour, etc. When we went for the second scan there were student there and they discussed everything amongst themselves in Finnish and forgot to explain anything to me in English. If it is just you and the midwife/doctor/technician then there is noone to speak Finnish to.

internatwoman

Post by internatwoman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:40 am

Hi, I had my baby here in Oulu 3 months ago. My experience was good. I really hated the birth but well who enjoys that :) But everyone was fine, the one midwife did not speak english but my husband translated, and she was super lovely anyways!! Just like everyone here says, speak up for yourself. Throughout the pregnancy I did not as I didnt realise I could (sounds stupid) so I had a midwife at neuvola who did not speak english...we swopped though and I eventually got an english speaking one (the non-english speaking midwife even arranged it as she could see I was frustrated!) and well its been great ever since....I must say I liked the longer hospital stay as it was my first and I was so not ready to go home without all their wonderful help at the hospital (my baby screamed for the first few days, literally! So I appreciated the extended stay!)...when I was ready to cope a little more on my own they let me go. BUt this was my first baby.....dont worry just keep asking and if you dont understand make sure I suppose you demand someone who does understand! O yes here is something I learnt after the birth, we as foreigners are able to request a translator if we need them (so like at neuvola, hosital etc etc, all you have to do is ask for one! That simple..I had one when I discovered and had a special appointment and well it was great!)

santtu1979

Post by santtu1979 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi everybody!
As I promised here I am to tell how it went here in Kempele neuvola.
The midwife was really really nice - she spoke some English but at the end we decided that she spoke in Finnish - anyway my husband was there too so he could help me with that.
She made ultrasound and our little bee is moving very fast, is long 3,20 cm. Unfortunately we couldn´t hear his hearth beating but I guess next time then.
I am so happy I can´t wait next visit to see him/her again!
:D

Kinku

Post by Kinku » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:34 pm

Just read the whole 13 pages, I feel it is so helpful! I am 17 weeks pregnant now live in Helsinki. But soon I will move to Espoo. When I visit OB, she told me I need to make a choice for where I want to have baby delivered. I can chose between Jorvi or Helsinki mother clinic. Is there anyone who had experience with Jorvi? How does it look like compare mother clinic (I read some post says mother clinic is OK).

I also will be very happy to know if there is any mom-to-be will have her baby delivered in coming March :). Any mom-to-be live around Makkyla? :P I wonder if there is any courses in English to teach how to handle newborns.

Wish all new babies and mothers health and happy!

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:54 pm

If you are in Mäkkylä, then Naistenklinikka is on the bus trip "downtown" while Jorvi is on Ring III and Turuntie intersection in Bemböle, basically on the same 110 road you are on so its really the same distance to both ;)
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Kinku

Post by Kinku » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:49 pm

thank you, Pursuivant!

I kind of know the location of both places. But I'd rather expect a bit more personal experience with these two hospital. :) It would be also nice to get some friends who are having similar "task" with me :P

Gigi

Post by Gigi » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:00 pm

I started this topic more then 2 years ago... And we are on for round 2! We are expecting nr. 2 in April. I am not from the Helsinki area, but if you are looking for someone to share some thoughts with in English... well I have some experience of being pregnant and giving birth in Finland and are duedates might be only a month apart...

greetings

Gigi

Kinku

Post by Kinku » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:26 am

[/quote]... And we are on for round 2! We are expecting nr. 2 in April. [/quote]

Vow! Gigi, this is so wonderful! You are expecting the second baby?!? :D I bet you gonna have a very big family by this speed :P . I am just joking. :wink:

I would love to share some advice from you. I think we could use some instant messages or write on post. I am totally new, and as I said, I was totally shocked by the pregnancy news a couple of weeks ago. So still learn to be in the role.

when did you started baby cloth shopping? :P As I almost see from ultra sound testing from 16th week, I just could not stop visiting shops and admiring those small cute cloth. Those soft music toys are also so lovely. some friends around told me to ask for KELA newborn package. I can see they have something for new born there. I just wondering how much more is needed. Since baby suppose to come in beginning of April, I guess some very good winter cloth would be needed? also, back to my home town, newborns wear those soft material made shirt before last part of umbilical cord drop. But after few days shopping, I did not find those particular type of cloth here, it seems either covers whole body or much bigger size than for newborns. What kind you would suggest?

Have you ever tried Amniocentesis test here in Finland? Since I noticed pregnant so late, in 14th week, so I missed the 12th week blood test. I am just trying to cover the lose of that. nurse informed me the miscarriage rate for Amniocentesis is 1%, which is ten times higher than what is informed in USA or UAE. So I wonder if there is anything different or special about Amniocentesis here.

thanks!

onkko

Post by onkko » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:39 pm

onkko wrote:Heres maternity package with pictures http://www.kela.fi/in/internet/english. ... enDocument
And here is how to claim it http://www.kela.fi/in/internet/english. ... enDocument
Wtf, if one lets the little critter out to play in snow, how one is supposed to find it again?!?
Box (can be used as crib)
Needs more bling bling, yo!
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.