kindergarten options for young children in tampere?

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
autourgos

Post by autourgos » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:15 am

My husband posted about income necessary for a family living in Tampere... Now my question about schooling. I have a 4 year old son and a not-quite-2 year old daughter. We've just found that we *may* be headed to Tampere by the end of next month... As neither my husband nor I speak any Finnish yet, it seems to me the best option for helping the kids pick up some Finnish would be to put them in "school" at least part time. Neither of them currently attends school, and if we stay in the US, they would not attend at all (thus I read with interest the earlier thread on homeschooling -- I myself was homeschooled till I was 14). But in a foreign country, where they'd hardly be learning much language at home...

Forgive my overwhelming ignorance... Would it be possible for a foreigner to get a 4yo into state kindergarten at this point in the year (late January, perhaps) in Tampere? How much time (per day / per week) would that entail (or is it flexible)? What about the baby? She's learning English, and I'd love for her to learn Finnish at the same time, but some of the other posts I read indicated that "school" doesn't start till age 3? ... On the one hand, I'd hate to leave her (though if she were with her brother, she wouldn't care at all -- alone, she might), but I'm concerned that if I stayed with her all the time, I'd be tempted to speak to her in English all the time and accidentally prevent her actually learning any Finnish...

On an separate note: what would constitute a typical wardrobe for young children in the area? We're coming from California, and while I've lived in places with winter before, I haven't done it with children, and will have to start from scratch. *What* clothing and how much of it would be necessary?

Thank you!
~abbey

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ace

Re: kindergarten options for young children in tampere?

Post by Ace » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:31 am

autourgos wrote:Forgive my overwhelming ignorance... Would it be possible for a foreigner to get a 4yo into state kindergarten at this point in the year (late January, perhaps) in Tampere? How much time (per day / per week) would that entail (or is it flexible)? What about the baby?
You go to school at age 7 in Finland. Normally kids can attend Kindergarten after they are 9/10 months, although there is no law about this.

Apparently its the law in Finland that if you apply to a kindergarten (state run) the local council has to give you a place within 4 months of your application, although it may not be the nursery you picked. It could be any place the state nurseries have spaces. You can apply at any time during the year however. Its recommended you call the nursery you would like to apply and ask the situation.
autourgos wrote:On an separate note: what would constitute a typical wardrobe for young children in the area? We're coming from California, and while I've lived in places with winter before, I haven't done it with children, and will have to start from scratch. *What* clothing and how much of it would be necessary?
For the kindergartens: outside they need wool clothes (or something pretty warm), good outdoor shoes, warm gloves, good hat, waterproof clothes and rubber boots etc. (they play in the snow a lot).

Inside they need shoes that don't slip easily, jogging suits (normal clothes are ok inside).

(BTW I'm no expert i'm just passing on info from a kindergarten teacher)

Sara

Post by Sara » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:13 pm

the children need a lot of clothes!!!

normal inside clothes, and a pair of slippers that they change into (no shoes inside).

For outside its generally snowsuits, thick wool socks, scarf, thick hat, gloves, snowboots.

When its wet they also need rubber pants, rubber jacket, rubber gloves and rubber boots.

I work in a Kindergarten and we have one 5 year old boy, I think he was 3 when he started at the kindergarten and spoke no English or Finnish. Now he has very good English and is also picking up all his Finnish from the children. His parents dont speak Finnish, so he is doing very well.

As soon as you know youre moving and to where, put an application in for kindergarten places and see whats available to you.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: kindergarten options for young children in tampere?

Post by Hank W. » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:32 am

autourgos wrote:But in a foreign country, where they'd hardly be learning much language at home.
...and having to pass the Finnish curriculum, tests given in the Finnish language... :roll:

Kids learn a foreign language best at a very young age. Though they also forget them unless they use it daily. Theres been quite a few discussions on multilingualism and references to books, so those threads are good to dig up.And I remember there was one thread aboutt kindergarten and clothing (someone was also a bit overwhelmed of the idea "my kid in *snow*" - don't be. If you see a pram outside or on a balcony there's bound to be an occupant inside having a nap...)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

kultary

Post by kultary » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:07 pm

We moved to Tampere during December 1999 and put our kids into normal Finnish day care... no problem.

Of course, my wife is finnish and the kids had some background with the language, but they picked it up very quickly.

-ry