speech thearpy for english speakers

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
isaluba

Post by isaluba » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:21 am

My daughter is bilingual and has just started speach thearpy for her finnish" r, l, s" and "th" the thearpist said that the l,s th are easy to learn but that the finnish r will take some time.

She also has trouble with her American r, l, s, and th. from what I can tell. Has anyone out there taken there child to speech thearpy for english? If so did they find a speech thearpist that was qualified to work with english speakers? Did kela pay for it?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jessicapowell

Post by jessicapowell » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:15 am

I too would like to know the answer to this question. My daughter has some trouble with English, and I would like to find speech therapy.

soyyo

Post by soyyo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:35 pm

Are your kids in school? If so, I beleive the school is obligated to find you a speech therapist in English, if the child needs it.

My son has had some speech therapy in English, and I have a friend whose daughter also has. Neither of our kids is still getting the therapy, though. There aren't too many English language speech pathologists around here.
Don't worry, it only feels kinky the first time....

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:39 am

soyyo wrote:Are your kids in school? If so, I beleive the school is obligated to find you a speech therapist in English, if the child needs it.
I have never heard this rule before. Where did you get that information? I would interested to know. AFAIK schools are not required to give remedial help of any kind in English. However, last year the Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa region discussed the need to improve special ed for English speaking students and I believe some budgets have been set aside for this. For the moment this is mostly classroom assistance for children with learning difficulties (dyslexia, ADHD etc).

I do not know of any native English speakers practising speech therapy (qualified) in Uusimaa.

Mies Belgiasta

Re: speech thearpy for english speakers

Post by Mies Belgiasta » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:42 pm

isaluba wrote:My daughter is bilingual and has just started speach thearpy for her finnish" r, l, s" and "th" the thearpist said that the l,s th are easy to learn but that the finnish r will take some time.

She also has trouble with her American r, l, s, and th. from what I can tell. Has anyone out there taken there child to speech thearpy for english? If so did they find a speech thearpist that was qualified to work with english speakers? Did kela pay for it?
SPEECH, not speach and THERAPY not thearpy ! AND THERAPIST not thearpist! perkele ! :evil:

If you wrote it wrong one time I could understand, but to write it wrong 3,4 times...that's too much. Anyways...

http://www.puheterapeuttiliitto.fi/main ... view&id=10

There is another topic about this too : http://finlandforum.org/bb//viewtopic.p ... highlight=
Parempi hullu kuin tylsä ;D

My blog : http://www.fin-style.be/blog

soyyo

Post by soyyo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:20 pm

penelope wrote:I have never heard this rule before. Where did you get that information? I would interested to know. AFAIK schools are not required to give remedial help of any kind in English. However, last year the Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa region discussed the need to improve special ed for English speaking students and I believe some budgets have been set aside for this. For the moment this is mostly classroom assistance for children with learning difficulties (dyslexia, ADHD etc).

I do not know of any native English speakers practising speech therapy (qualified) in Uusimaa.
The school (Postipuu) told me this and they found the therapist for my son. When we needed more appointments over the summer, the therapist got that approved through the school. We were seeing her at Mehilahti in Helsinki.

She was not a native English speaker, but her English was good and she was qualified to give speech therapy in English.
Don't worry, it only feels kinky the first time....

Lisa 15

Post by Lisa 15 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:18 pm

I would need the sam ein french, my kids have problem with ch , f and french r... any suggestion? She's already getting some for her swedish r.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Have you tried asking on www.salutfinlande.net ?

Have you tried the Lycée Franco-finlandais or the Ecole Jules Verne?

You could also try the International School of Helsinki.

You could try calling the "Club des Cinq" in Haukilahti, they used to employ students from France (who, if you are very lucky, might have some kind of special ed training as an "orthophoniste")

You could post an advertisement on the noticeboard inside the Institut Francais at the Cable Factory.

I can't think of anymore "pistes" but if I hear of anyone I'll let you know.

Amandine.K

Post by Amandine.K » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Lisa 15 wrote:I would need the sam ein french, my kids have problem with ch , f and french r... any suggestion? She's already getting some for her swedish r.
My daughters used to have problems with their French r, f and ch. The problem solved by itself when they started to attend the French school (Jules Verne), same for their Finnish r. The teacher they had for Finnish was very good and managed to correct their pronunciation. Bonne chance! I'll ask around me for a French "orthophoniste", have you tried the ambassy? They usually have a list of such professionals offering services in French.

Divna

Post by Divna » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:29 pm

soyyo wrote:The school (Postipuu) told me this and they found the therapist for my son. When we needed more appointments over the summer, the therapist got that approved through the school. We were seeing her at Mehilahti in Helsinki.

She was not a native English speaker, but her English was good and she was qualified to give speech therapy in English.
I was wondering is it possible to give the name of the speech therapist that was qualified to give speech therapy in English?

I would be grateful if anyone else could recommend also a speech therapist in English language.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:14 pm

Divna wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:29 pm
soyyo wrote:The school (Postipuu) told me this and they found the therapist for my son. When we needed more appointments over the summer, the therapist got that approved through the school. We were seeing her at Mehilahti in Helsinki.

I was wondering is it possible to give the name of the speech therapist that was qualified to give speech therapy in English?

I would be grateful if anyone else could recommend also a speech therapist in English language.
Can't recommend anyone, but surely you have looked at https://puheterapeuttiliitto.fi/puheter ... h=englanti
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.