military service

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
shoppo

military service

Post by shoppo » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:17 pm

Hi all!

I've been in Helsinki for a while, but I've only recently come across this site. Now I spend far too much time reading threads - there's soooo much information - sweet.

Anyway, I have a question: my wife and I are thinking about having another child. But, if he/she is born in Finland does that mean that he/she would have to do military service?

Shop

military service

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

boO_fi

Post by boO_fi » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:20 pm

sure, at the moment, if you're child is born in Finland and living in Finland and they're a male at the age of 16-25...then they'll have to do either military service or civil service. but, if you two are planning now to just have a baby, then maybe possibly in a few years time they might abolish that law, who knows.
b0 selecta!

shoppo

Post by shoppo » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:47 pm

Weyell, we're planning on staying for a while - 16 years is somewhat long term planning, but still its nice to know.

Ta!

simon

Post by simon » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:52 am

When the child gets to the age of military service you can always stick two pipe cleaners up the nose a pair of pants on his/her head and claim insanity...............remember :wink:

jwesthues

Post by jwesthues » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:01 am

First, its the Finnish military. He wouldn't be serving in the US Marines or anything like that.

Second, if he is Finnish citizen, then it does not matter where you live. He may still be required to serve even if you live in the UK. It's not entirely clear, but I recently got my Finnish citizenship (after the age of 30 so no service). It seemed as if all male Finnish citizens are required to be available to be called up for service (until age 30). In practice they don't call up the older folks.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: military service

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:23 am

shoppo wrote:But, if he/she is born in Finland does that mean that he/she would have to do military service?
Now you are omitting here the question what nationality the baby will be.
See, Finland goes with "German-style" nationality (blood based), not USA-style (residence based) nationality.

Regardless of the child is born on the moon, if one of the parent is Finnish, the child is Finnish.

If the parents are from the Moon, the child is a lunar citizen even being born in Helsinki Naistenklinikka.

Basically citizenship = mother's, but theres differences.
http://www.uvi.fi/pdfkansa/kansalaisuusesite_eng.pdf

Now what comes to conscription & service, the age you get drafted for males is 18, and you're expected to enter service when you are 19, different kinds of postponements are possible or doing the civil service. Girls can volunteer, but if they chicken out, they still have to do a civil service, as when they sign away they sign away.
http://www2.mil.fi/varusmies/index_en.dsp

Now if the child has a dual nationality and lives abroad, the situation gets interesting. They might loose their citizenship at the age of 22 if there is no "sufficient connections". http://www.uvi.fi/pdfkansa/kansalaisuus ... 22_eng.pdf

Now for a foreign guy getting a citizenship before the age 30, he is going to be drafted. After all, a Finnish Citizenship is a privilege that comes with the whole package. You cannot just eat the raisins off the bun, you need to eat the whole bun including the burnt crust.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:36 am

In the case of an American relative of mine living here, all 3 of his sons are dual U.S.-Finnish citizens and they had a choice of whether to do military service or not. I guess this is because military service is voluntary in the States?
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Mai

Post by Mai » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:54 am

Not 100% sure about this, but i think i have read from somewhere you don't have to go to finnish military forces if you already have served in military in your other home country.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:06 am

Theres exceptions etc. bit they are subject to the draft. If the draft board decides you don't need to serve during peacetime, nor even wartime you get a 'pink card' or a 'green card' you have to show in lieu of your military passport. Oh when do you need to show it - basically applying for a passport and a job when you're 18-30 years old.

Theres this thing, firstly a draftdodger/bloke with suspension is a liability to disappear from the workplace for 6-12 months. And you can't fire him - you need to give him his old job back.

Secondly, especially some 'old school' employers appreciate military training (the higher the better), and if a bloke has a 'milk train pass' or has been sent 'back home to grow up' this incinuates either hes balmy or uses drugs so some employers regard that as a sign of being a misfit. Conscientious objectors then again are another thing (old school sometimes classify them in the balmy category as well).

Don't know what use the military service is, but I don't complain about food, living conditions or clothes too much, and anything less than 12 people to a room is considered 'private' :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

shoppo

Post by shoppo » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:02 pm

Yikes, it used to be so easy in the Britain, where I'm from. There, you were born, got your passport, did no military service (apart from the school equivalent = Duke of Edinburgh's Award - entirely voluntary, but with lots of cool camping), and were happy. If I'd stayed in good 'ol blighty, I could've married a homely local lass with zits (no names, no pictures), and spent our years munching on saveloys, haddock and chips and watching soaps.

Course, I had to go and complicate things, by marrying an American, and then moving Finland.

So, I glean the following:
o Me = bloke = British - irrelevant.
o Wife = American => baby born in Finland has the mother's citizenship => baby is American (after application/registration).
o Baby, does not have to grow up with the fear of military service in her youth- hurrah!

Instead, he/she can grow up speaking Finnish, and correctly say that his/her parents don't understand him/her. Actually, that's quite handy because then I can't be insulted during the teenage years.

Very interesting. You've saved me many sleepless nights of worry about the child doing press-ups, and getting shot, an' all that.

stig

Post by stig » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:08 pm

shoppo wrote: Very interesting. You've saved me many sleepless nights of worry about the child doing press-ups, and getting shot, an' all that.
A quick book:

2 -1 It will get to the age of 16 and you will be PRAYING for the military to come and take it away.

5 - 1 It will get to the age of 16 and you will be PRAYING for the military to come and take you away.

100 - 1 You'll start your own military, cut out the middle man, and hope the sprog enjoys doing pushups... far away... somewhere.

Stig.
"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is gooood.........."
- Phil. 17th June 2004

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:15 pm

My Brother in laws just gone in for his national service he's off skiing and shooting things today, sounds like he's loving it. I probably would have when I was 18. Dont fancy it now much mind.

Maybe your kid would enjoy it too, unless of course if theres a war on then fairy muff ;-)

shoppo

Post by shoppo » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:46 pm

Since I don't pray, I'll go for... number 3! Wait - am I allowed to bet here?

RM

Post by RM » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:47 pm

shoppo wrote:So, I glean the following:
o Me = bloke = British - irrelevant.
Not quite irrelevant. Your child will also be entitled to be a British subject. Remember after the the birth to make an application through the embassy for a birth certificate. If the child can also get US citizenship so much the better, it provides a great deal of choice later in life.

gunny110

Re: military service

Post by gunny110 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi all! I'm new to this site and I'm hoping it helps. My wife was born and raised in Helsinki. She is homesick and I want to take her home to Finland. I need to find a good job to get and stay there. I need to network and I need your help. I spent 12 years in the Marine Corps. Out with an honorable discharge by choice as an e-7/ Gunnery Sergeant. I have supervisory/ management experience. I'm not very good at writing a resume but there's a lot there. Anyone who knows anyone that may help I would be happy to send a resume to anyway. Any help is appreciated.