Baby-friendly-flat advice required

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:33 pm

My wife and I are moving into a new flat and will be buying some new furniture for the occassion. However, we have a five-month-old daughter who should be crawling fairly soon and I wonder to what degree we should choose furniture with that in mind.

What measures have others done towards this end? What works and what doesn't?

Please, any advice or experiences and welcome!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:02 pm

You can buy little plastic 'plugs' that go into plug sockets to stop children trying to stick things in the holes.

You can also buy things to put on corners of tables etc.

Looking at furniture, just choose things that arent going to be pulled over easily when toddlers try and pull themselves up on it. I would avoid coffee tables with glass. Once you start picking things out you will soon see whats baby proof and not :)

simon

Post by simon » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:29 am

Also

From past and present experiences

Children love to pull things out of cupboards. dont have anything valuable at least 3 ft from the ground must be higher, saying that make sure everything is at least 3ft from the ground.

Our little boys love turning our TV on and off and now the picture is starting to go. Also the video we have a thingy that covers the slot where you put the video in.

Also get child locks for the drawers in the kitchen, and for the cooker get a guard or something.

HTH

Cory

Post by Cory » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:04 pm

We had (still have) an incredibly curious little boy who got into everything. What we eventually had to do was to put little hooks at the top of doors in order to totally seal off certain parts of the house that were definately *off limits*...ie..the office, the washrooms, the dog's "safe" space, etc. When he was able to walk, the door handles in Europe are easily pulled down by toddlers allowing them entry to rooms with closed doors. The little latches gave me piece of mind at times when I needed to cook, etc. As funny as this may seem, at about 10 months, he began scooting into the shower room and pulling up the drain hole and sticking everything he could down the hole. This was the first door to get latched at the top.

If you're just now buying furniture, stay away from the square edged tables in the living room. We have oval and round tables in the house and many times, I'm sure they've saved a nasty gash in his head when he's toppled over and hit the edge of them.

Floor mats are problematic, too, if they are the lighter constructed ones which can easily slip around. With little people just starting to walk, the thicker mats are safer. We lifted a few off the floor for a year or so.

We lifted all plants up out of the way. So many of them are toxic and/or give a nasty rash if rubbed up against. Floor lamps should be pushed up against the corner and a heavy piece of furniture so they can't be pulled over.

We didn't want to move our electronic media from the living space nor did we want to put it behind doors so from the very beginning we were strict about saying, "no touching". He learnt quick enough that Mommy and Daddy got angry if he touched anything on the TV, stereo, etc.

As Sara mentioned, you'll learn quick enough what you're going to have to adjust when your daughter increases her mobility!

Have fun!

Cory

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:25 pm

Buy easy furniture with round corners, buy cheap wall carpet.

A few years ago we threw all our furniture away, since they had used nearly everything to draw on and to paint on. You get used to it.

Another thing to protect, next to the electric cables, on a really high spot are the cleaning chemicals (chlorine, acid and so). Watch out for old flower water. Kids want to drink that, it's poisonous.

Traffic (cars) is by far the most dangerous for young kids.

ronrubies

Post by ronrubies » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:55 pm

I have two boys ages, 2.5 years and 11 months. Like others have written, children gleefully get into everything. Therefore, buy cheap furniture and expect to replace it. Also, buy items you can clean easily. For example, for sofas, etc. consider leather over fabrics (even microfiber) as leather is much easier to clean and does not retain odors when the kiddies deposit all kinds of nasty bodily fluids on the furniture. :shock: Good luck.

Ron