Are the vaccinations compulsory?

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Bella

Post by Bella » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi.
I would ask if the vaccinations for babies and children are compulsory in Finland. And I don't want to ask about swine flu vaccination and other flu, but only about those the baby gets it at 2 month, 4 months, .... 1 year, MMR and other vaccinations?
Thanks
Bella

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Are the vaccinations compulsory?

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:50 pm

I don't think they are compulsory (I don't see how they could force you to take your child to the clinic to be vaccinated) but I think you will find it difficult to get your child into daycare if s/he has not had the jabs. At least that was the situation when we arrived in Finland. We had to show that the vaccinations our kids had received in France and Hungary matched the Finnish vaccination program.

Bella

Post by Bella » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks Penelope.
Do you mean in Finnish day care?
Because 3 years ago when we came here I had one child in daycare and they didn't ask or mention about the vaccinations , and this year is the third one with the other child and was the same, didn't ask or mention. And they were in both Finnish and then change in English daycare.
Thanks again.
Bella

Mook

Post by Mook » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:34 am

They're not compulsory. But what parent wouldn't want to protect their children from potentially life-threatening diseases?
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:56 pm

Bella wrote: Do you mean in Finnish day care?
No. My youngest went to French daycare and the other two went to an international school when we first arrived. They all needed to show they had had their jabs. But it was 8 years ago. Might've changed since.

lailatalley

Post by lailatalley » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:24 am

If we do not need to put our kids in daycare or school, do the Pediatricians force it on parents to vaccinate the children? Or, do you have a choice to vaccinate when visiting the Pediatrician? In the U.S., you sign an affidavit saying that you do not vaccinate for reasons of conscience or religion. Is that the same thing in Finland? Can we sign an affidavit saying that we do not vaccinate?

Thank you.

sotka_

Post by sotka_ » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:21 am

lailatalley wrote:If we do not need to put our kids in daycare or school, do the Pediatricians force it on parents to vaccinate the children?
Well, they should.
"Elämme kovia aikoja, ystävä hyvä."

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:19 am

Oh no, the cancer is spreading to Finland as well!
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.