Psychological test for 5yr old

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
daveba

Post by daveba » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:16 pm

I need to book a psychological test for my 5 year old (6in June) so that she can appear for a test to start school year one in August. My employer suggested Pikkujatti but they don't have dates or English speaking doctors. Then I was pointed to Mehiläinen who do have dates but told me it will be around 500€ for this test.

I just want to know if there are any alternatives in Helsinki or Espoo? Any help will be much appreciated.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Eliss

Re: Psychological test for 5yr old

Post by Eliss » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Is your child taking part some daycare or are you allowed to go to Neuvola? Or is the private sector only possibility for you? Day care teachers or nurse in neuvola should be able to tell you about not-private-psychologist who could do the testing.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:52 pm

Do you mean the school readiness test? Usually the schools organise these tests. They have special ed teachers who take care of the tests, usually at the same time as the entrance tests (which are i jan/Feb). Or contact an English-speaking daycare in your area and ask them. If your son/daughter is going to a state school then I don't think you will have to get this test done privately.

About 10 years ago we used this organisation to find an educational psychologist who could do a dyslexia assessment in English:
http://www.lukihero.fi

daveba

Post by daveba » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:50 am

Hey, thanks both of you very much! Elliss we are still in England and arriving in Helsinki just at the beginning of Feb or end of Jan so she is not going to daycare.

Rosamunda, I will call the school directly after Christmas to find out if they can help with this process. Actually it was one the principals of the English school (public) in Espoo who said I need to go to a private psychologist for this test. Maybe I understood wrong, or she thought I am there only temporarily and don't have access to public facilities?

catfish78

Post by catfish78 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:11 am

But there are no test to get into pre-school. The child must be 7 or turning 7 before the end of the year before they can start 1st grade.
**** that and **** you

CH

Post by CH » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Rosamunda wrote:Do you mean the school readiness test? Usually the schools organise these tests.
It sounds like the OP wants his/her daughter to start school a year early (as 6 yo vs. the normal 7). At least in Espoo, if you want to have your child start school a year early, you need a test showing that the child is indeed ready to start school early but you have to pay for it yourself, and I would assume the same is elsewhere, too. The city pays for it when it's done at the normal school entering age.

To OP: Is there some reason you want your child to start school early vs. going to the preparatory ("pre-school", or esikoulu here) class? Is your child more mature than other children her age? The school here is geared towards children starting the year they turn 7, so your child needs to be at that maturity level.

daveba

Post by daveba » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi, sorry for confusion. Yes indeed we want her to start one year early. I should have mentioned that clearly.

Actually she is already in year one here in UK, and we are not sure how long we will be in Finland. So even if she will redo year one she won't be left too behind compared to other kids should we decide to move in a few years time. Well that is the rationale behind our thinking, but whether she can get admitted or not is another matter depending on availability of school places etc.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:41 pm

I don't think you're quite getting the system. Going to school age 6 is for kids being 7 In oct-nov starting August. Not 5 year olds turning 6 just before august. Little kids go to playschool, first graders are expected independence already, like going to school and back on their own.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

catfish78

Post by catfish78 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:56 am

There have been exceptions made for students that have already had a year or two of school before coming to Finland. That call will be up to the administration. They have to assure that the child will be able to cope with older students and to assure the child has the right maturity level.

Good luck to the OP
**** that and **** you

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:23 am

daveba wrote: Rosamunda, I will call the school directly after Christmas to find out if they can help with this process. Actually it was one the principals of the English school (public) in Espoo who said I need to go to a private psychologist for this test. Maybe I understood wrong, or she thought I am there only temporarily and don't have access to public facilities?
"The English School" is in Helsinki, not Espoo. If you mean Komeetta or Postipuu, then I am quite surprised they expect you to organise this test yourself. My son took the tests when he was 5 yrs old (so he could start school at 6) and everything was organised at/by the school, but we were living here at the time. Things may have changed since then, it was 10 yrs ago. I can only think it is a timing issue, ie if you are not here in Finland when the tests are being organised. If they want you to see a private psychologist then they should either give you the name and address of one or, at the very least, give you exact specifications of what they require in terms of an assessment. Then I guess you could get the test done in the UK. Do they simply expect a school readiness assessment (maturity) or do they need some kind of ADHD/dyxlexia etc all-clear? The English-language schools have few if any resources for helping children with learning difficulties.

I think the schools are quite understanding about temporary UK residents who, for obvious reasons, need to school their children at a younger age. I see no reason why your son/daughter couldn't cope with first grade if he/she is already in school in the UK and not experiencing any problems. He/she will have to take the mandatory 4h of Finnish per week, which is a bit of a pain if you are only here for a year or two, but that's the rule. Komeetta was using the Oxford reading tree method for reading when my kids were there (the "Biff and Chip" books) - so you might be familiar with those already. It might also be a good idea to bring additional materials from the UK eg for maths. The primary schools are now using Finnish maths books (published in English, in Finland); they are built around the Finnish core curriculum so might be slightly out of sync with the UK syllabus.

PS: There probably won't be anybody at the school until next term. I think they go back on 7th January.

daveba

Post by daveba » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks Rosamunda for such a detailed reply, it is much appreciated. I think you are right, it seems things have changed as it was the Komeetta school's principal who advised me to get her assessed privately. But it has to be done in Finland. No other specifications are given so I will call back after 7th and check for details and if they can help at all. Sorry I meant schools teaching English curriculum such as Kometta or Postipuu (they both share tests so one will be enough I've been told). I have also asked the principal of Ressun school in Helsinki who also confirmed it will be ok for her to appear in the entrance exam in August (after psychological assessment) just before the school starts but there are no guarantees that there will be places.

Thankfully she has no other special requirements so it is just a matter of getting her assessed to make sure she will "fit in" with other kids and ready to learn. But then again, maybe I need to check with the school if there are any other criteria. We are also planning to bring her reading books and other curriculum details so that we can keep up as much as possible. Actually learning Finnish maybe good, as they say that learning more languages helps with their overall learning/cognition skills? And we will be in Finland for 2-3 years (contract is for 3 years) and then "where the wind blows" so who knows!

Again, thanks really for all the helpful messages. And wish everyone a Very Happy Christmas! :D :beer_yum:

saleciahost

Post by saleciahost » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:07 am

I know that I am a few years out of date from this conversation but I am facing the same issue. My 6 year old is ready for grade one and has already had 1 year of formal schooling here in the US. I have been told by every English school ion Finland that she needs to have a private appointment with an independent psychologist - in Finland - before the school readiness test at the school.
Please help, does anyone know of a Child Psychologist who is available and speaks English.
Thank you.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:00 pm

All the primary schools have broken up for the summer now, so you won't be able to get help directly from the schools. I suggest you contact the local municipal offices directly. For example this is the Espoo page:

http://www.espoo.fi/en-US/Childcare_and ... _Education

There is contact information on the right of the screen. You can find similar information for other cities.

Alternatively, you could try sending an enquiry to Lukihero (I linked to it above but here it is again): http://www.lukihero.fi/palaute/
Don't be afraid to write your question in English.

Or, thinking outside of the box, put your daughter into private daycare for a year, it will give her a chance to adjust to her new surroundings and make new friends and do the reading/maths stuff at home. Look for an educational psychologist when you get here. But, from what I've read, it is no longer to move into first grade after the school year has started (maybe that's just Espoo, not sure).

sabrina_fi

Post by sabrina_fi » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Hello Saleciahost,
I think I can reply your question.
We are living in Finland and decided send my daughter to the English school one year earlier than age 7. She attends the psychological test when she was 5 years and 6 months.
The test was held in the pikkujätti (a private clinic). There have 3 kids psychological doctors can make it. The language can be both Finland and English.
The cost is about 140 e per time, normally it takes 2 or 3 times. (most probably 2 times is enough).
The test takes about 40 mins of each. First the doctor discuss with parents (15 mins), then to play with kid alone (30 mins).
The doctor have their way to measure whether the kids is ready to go to the school one year earlier or not. My daughter is quite shy, she is difficult open herself to strangers. But Finally she past the test. Her friend, a very cute, talkative girl attends the same test with the same doctor but failed.

The annual English school entrance test was in Feb. I would say the best time to attend the psychological test is the beginning of December. Because the test is quite expensive, it is wise to wait until kids are few months older.