Husband Got a Letter from the Police...?

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Caroline

Re: Husband Got a Letter from the Police...?

Post by Caroline » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:18 pm

katrina wrote:That he needs to come to the station concerning my residence permit. Does anybody know what that is about?:)lol.. He asked me and I said I've heard of getting a letter from them but I dont know about what:)lol...I guess he will register me or something:)lol

Easily Confused
Katrina

It's just part of the approval process. He'll get the official letter from the police station. You'll get an official letter from the Finnish consulate in the USA, stating the basis for the approval, which you have to sign and send back to them. You send your passport to the consulate, they put the visa in there, in the form of a large sticker.

Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Remembah whea ya pahked ya cah!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:06 pm

The only official letter I'll flip if I get is one I that comes registered and the sender is "Helsinki Military District Quartermaster's Office" :D
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

eashton

Post by eashton » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:11 am

Caroline wrote: It's just part of the approval process. He'll get the official letter from the police station. You'll get an official letter from the Finnish consulate in the USA, stating the basis for the approval, which you have to sign and send back to them. You send your passport to the consulate, they put the visa in there, in the form of a large sticker.
Well, you have to send your passport to the consulate with the application. My husband never received a letter from the police. My father-in-law called once a month to check progress and they mentioned it would likely have a positive outcome sometime in the third month. A few weeks later I simply received my passport and a letter telling me what I had won. It wasn't addressed to my husband. Unless it's different for married couples living apart during the application process I'd say it's unusual for a spouse to get a letter from the local police since, once you have the A5 permit/visa, the police really aren't involved aside from obtaining your henkilökortti.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:22 am

eashton wrote:
Caroline wrote: It's just part of the approval process. He'll get the official letter from the police station. You'll get an official letter from the Finnish consulate in the USA, stating the basis for the approval, which you have to sign and send back to them. You send your passport to the consulate, they put the visa in there, in the form of a large sticker.
Well, you have to send your passport to the consulate with the application. My husband never received a letter from the police. My father-in-law called once a month to check progress and they mentioned it would likely have a positive outcome sometime in the third month. A few weeks later I simply received my passport and a letter telling me what I had won. It wasn't addressed to my husband. Unless it's different for married couples living apart during the application process I'd say it's unusual for a spouse to get a letter from the local police since, once you have the A5 permit/visa, the police really aren't involved aside from obtaining your henkilökortti.

If you are waiting in your home country for the visa, you get your passport back before the approval process, then you have to send it again when you get notice of the approval. The first time they just want to check to be sure the identity is correct and that the passport is valid. The Finnish consulate cannot retain it because it isn't their property. I remember this because, after getting my passport returned before the visa was approved, my hubbie and I missed each other so much that I was *this close* to coming back to Finland for another 3-month tourist visit, and I could not have done that without the passport.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Remembah whea ya pahked ya cah!

eashton

Post by eashton » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:35 pm

Caroline wrote:If you are waiting in your home country for the visa, you get your passport back before the approval process, then you have to send it again when you get notice of the approval. The first time they just want to check to be sure the identity is correct and that the passport is valid. The Finnish consulate cannot retain it because it isn't their property. I remember this because, after getting my passport returned before the visa was approved, my hubbie and I missed each other so much that I was *this close* to coming back to Finland for another 3-month tourist visit, and I could not have done that without the passport.
Weird, I only had to send mine once with the papers and the fee. I was in the US at the time, but so was my husband.