Winter baby name ideas

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
AnaTeresa

Re: Winter baby name ideas

Post by AnaTeresa » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:42 pm

I do not understand what you mean about Spanish in this forum. Anyway, I commented what some names mean in a language that is spoken by 25% of the population on your country or origin.
No need to thank ;-)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

chriscross

Post by chriscross » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:23 am

mohammed

ashmal

dave

George.G

Post by George.G » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:35 am

Hello, to any finns, please tell me your oppinion about the finnish names Aamu and Aimo. I don't know yet if it's a boy or a girl :P I like the meaning of the words but I don't want to sound awkward in finnish, or to rare... because we will live in Finland :wink: thank you very much!
Attitude creates the future

leisl

Post by leisl » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Aamu was originally a boy's name but it is almost never given to boys anymore (don't do it, he will literally be the only boy named Aamu he ever meets who is not in a retirement home). It's ok to give this to a girl now.

Aimo is not that common, but it is for boys. Don't name a girl this. It would be accepted by the register for a girl, but she would be mistaken for male all her life. The girl version is Aino. And that's incredibly popular.

If you want a winter name for a baby girl then call her Lumi. That's snow.

Keep this in mind. Nobody really cares about the meaning of names. People care more if it's a nice-sounding name. The newest trends (especially for girls) is to use names from western countries that were not traditionally Finnish names. English: good. Asian/Arabic/other: bad.

If you want to see the common names given recently it is here. http://www.vrk.fi/default.aspx?docid=8776
Or the top ten in English. http://verkkopalvelu.vrk.fi/Nimipalvelu/default.asp?L=3